Mechanic recommendations

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
Donating Member
Reaction score
I have a mechanical issue that's outside my skill set. I can do brakes and some other minor repairs.

But I have a squealing engine bay that's been driving me crazy for 1.5 years now. I don't know if it is a pulley or a belt. If I took the belt off, I'd never get it back on. And if I did, my accessories would likely be running backwards and I'd probably skip the water pump. Plus if I do it myself, it'd probably take me a month as I struggled through the trouble-shooting of the actual problem.

I'd rather send it to a mechanic for a day and have it done right.

I'm in the South Elgin area, but it doesn't have to be in South Elgin. But I don't want to drive two hours either. There has to be some local. Maybe Dean's in St. Charles?

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Komet in St Charles could likely take care of you. Ask for Kurt.

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
what your trying to avoid sounds like exactly goes on in my garage :rofl:

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
If I try it myself, it would be mid-summer before I got that belt back on correctly. I've never changed belts before, so I'm sure it would take me forever to get it done.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
It's just 3 guys there...probably all in the back.

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
It's cool. I'll give it a day or two before I make some other calls. It's just damn embarrassing to be driving around with that much noise coming from under the hood. I don't want to let another season go by where I don't get it fixed.

jason05gt

Reaction score
Hans does great work, but can sometimes be a challenge to get in touch with. Try my buddy Eric. He has a shop on North Ave and Bloomingdale.

Herbst High Performance
(312) 933-5083

He's an honest guy and does good work on about anything. Pratt uses him a lot too and can vouch.

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
On your mustang?
Correct sir. It started as a barely audible squeak a few months after the blower install. And then by the end of the year in 2017, it was a full on scream. And 2018 came and went without me putting a ton of miles on it and addressing the noise.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
Correct sir. It started as a barely audible squeak a few months after the blower install. And then by the end of the year in 2017, it was a full on scream. And 2018 came and went without me putting a ton of miles on it and addressing the noise.
Dmark performance, or speed inc just started doing mustang builds, taking the belt off isn’t a big deal it can be a pain in the ass but I change belts at least once a year it seems like, finding a squeak would be my weak point

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
Herbst High Performance
(312) 933-5083

He's an honest guy and does good work on about anything. Pratt uses him a lot too and can vouch.
Ya, Eric and crew do great work and are very trustworthy. They work on everything from dump trucks, to high-end exotics, to old school carb'd hot rods, to modified late model cars. They are very versatile and knowledgeable.

They even have loaner vehicles if needed/available. They have two 2019 Chevy Equinox I believe.

lefty

Reaction score
It's not that hard to remove and install belts. Take a picture of it before you pull it to make sure it goes back on the same way, plus there should be a sticker under the hood to show you how it goes on. A mechanic's stethoscope works wonders on narrowing down squeaks from pulleys.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
ive flipped a belt 180* before and the noise went away

if you can catch me or Carl at the shop in batavia this week, either one of us would gladly take a peek at it for you

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
Thanks to [MENTION=945]daturbosix[/MENTION] and [MENTION=60]greasy[/MENTION], the Mustang is back on the road and without squeak.

There were a couple things going on. The first one is that one of the idler pulleys was not in the right spot to provide tension on the belt. And the second problem was that one of the other pulleys was out of alignment. Jeff shimmed with a washer and it is now in alignment. Jim threw on a new belt and all is good.

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
ive flipped a belt 180* before and the noise went away
I've done this as well. Belt squeaks when put on one way, but not the other way.

Also, if I can change the belt on my Cobra, you can probably do it too.
The Cobra engine bay is super tight. I got a belt alignment tool which helped.

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
After watching these guys both do it, it seems like I should be able to do it. I'm just hoping it will be quite some time before I have the need.

daturbosix

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
just gotta have the right angle of the dangle to get at that tensioner.

(my gearwrench serp tool fought me)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom