Making a larger purchase online safely?

ajdereicup

Measly little 4.6 2v in a boat
Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
So I'm tossing around the idea of buying a shortblock this guy has for $2k. I said paypal but the guy said noway. He said he doesn't have a business account and has heard horror stories of PP freezing accounts that receive large amounts of money?

He said that he uses western union with a credit card for large purchases so he can dispute it if something goes wrong and get his money back but I thought WU was a big no no because of scammers?

Any thoughts on how I could do it safely to keep my ass covered in case he tries some BS?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
NO. There is no reason someone can't have a Paypal account. At worst they put the money on hold for 21 days or until the buyer confirms they have received the item in question. If you haven't done that within 21 days then they auto-release the funds.

If he doesn't have an account it might be because he's already burned through it scamming people.

People assume they can run a chargeback on anything but you can't. With Western Union you are giving them permission to charge your card with the understanding that you're more or less sending someone cash. It's not a charge you could chargeback and once the guy has the money he has it. There's absolutely zero recourse. He also knows this.

Red flags all around here.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Out in NY. Seems kind of fishy because he said he'd sell it to the first person and there were a few other people in line and the fact he said he didn't want to part it out yet all of a sudden he's willing to sell me the shortblock

The old salesman trick of "but there are a ton of people coming to look at this"

This is a scam. If you don't regularly do transactions all the time there is a waiting period on paypal to protect the buyer. He knows he is scamming that's why he said no.

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Fully forged 4.6. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for seeing as I was preferring a stroker but for $2k it was cheaper all put together then I'm going to have into the rotating assembly for my block. Just saw it and figured it was a nice deal and would save me from building the engine myself

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I don't know that I'd buy a supposedly forged 4.6 from someone that I don't know. $2k seems like a really good deal, that enough would make me leery.

If I could find a forged 4.6 for that price right now, I'd pick it up myself. I pretty much threw away the option of building one from the components I already have. It would cost me more than $2k in additional parts and machine to put together what I already have.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
$2,000.00 is not a large enough ammount for Pay Pal to lock up. when they say larg sum they are referring to >10,000 im sure.

I think he means that waiting period from when he transfers the money to when the buyer can take it. Like 20 something days? Unless the seller confirms reciept of goods and is satisfied. Otherwise he could dispute the charges and paypal could freeze the funds. Or unless the seller is someone who doesn't many transactions everyday. Like the eBay power sellers.

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
I had over 22k in paypal and they never froze my account for anything. that guy sounds leery as fuck.

heres the deal. something is wrong with that bitch. he won't use paypal cause he knows when paypal sees the pictures they are going to refund the money.

im not a fan of paypal but I won't hesitate to use it. im just not going to eat the fees. I tell everyone "no problem, your paying the fees." simple enough. if they are cool I usually pay the shipping as a nice gesture.

ajdereicup

Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
Thanks for the help guys. It did seem like it was too good of a deal. He's trying to push the deal now. If anyone knows someone out in NY that wants it and is willing to take the time to check it out and see if it is good or not I'll tell them the link.

Kellogg lightened nitride 4340 crank
Manley H beam rods with ARP2000 bolts
CP pistons 2618 alloy pistons with 22cc dish Teflon coated
Teflon coated bearings
Chromoly rings
made 1219rwhp
500 miles

If only it was closer so I wouldn't have to risk the money crap and could inspect it:(

Damn mod motors being so expensive to build

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info