🚘 Automotive Looking for Quick SUV Alternatives to Ford ST Lineup

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
I haven’t looked at cars and SUV’s for awhile and The wife is showing interest in something newer or new. She currently drives a 2015 Edge Sport and it’s a joy to drive as far as being an SUV and pretty nimble and quick. What is now out there besides the ST’s by Ford, are there other manufacturers making performance model SUV’s similar to the size of an Edge or smaller? Wouldnt mind if there was some reliability behind them as well. The Sport Edge has been good to us just don’t like the ST’s And the wife wants something different as we have had Fords for a long time. Thanks.

EDIT - under 50k and pre owned.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I haven’t looked at cars and SUV’s for awhile and The wife is showing interest in something newer or new. She currently drives a 2015 Edge Sport and it’s a joy to drive as far as being an SUV and pretty nimble and quick. What is now out there besides the ST’s by Ford, are there other manufacturers making performance model SUV’s similar to the size of an Edge or smaller? Wouldnt mind if there was some reliability behind them as well. The Sport Edge has been good to us just don’t like the ST’s And the wife wants something different as we have had Fords for a long time. Thanks.

You have the Germans. Folks also seem to enjoy driving a Mazda CX5 or CX50 turbos and Acura RDX

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
If you're looking for quick SUV alternatives to the Ford ST lineup, there are several options from other manufacturers that you might want to consider. Here are a few suggestions for performance model SUVs similar in size to the Ford Edge:

1. **Porsche Macan**: The Macan offers a sporty driving experience with its powerful engines and agile handling. It's known for its performance capabilities and luxurious interior.

2. **Audi SQ5**: The SQ5 combines sporty performance with everyday practicality. It features a powerful engine, responsive handling, and a well-appointed interior.

3. **BMW X3 M40i**: The X3 M40i is a high-performance version of BMW's popular SUV. It offers strong acceleration, precise handling, and a comfortable ride.

4. **Mercedes-AMG GLC 43**: The GLC 43 is a sporty SUV from Mercedes-Benz's performance division. It features a powerful engine, sport-tuned suspension, and a premium interior.

5. **Jaguar F-Pace S**: The F-Pace S combines sporty performance with elegant styling. It offers a choice of powerful engines, sharp handling, and a well-crafted interior.

These options should provide you with a range of quick SUVs to consider as alternatives to the Ford ST lineup. Make sure to test drive a few different models to see which one best suits your preferences for performance, size, and reliability.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Audi nut swinger here. She loves this car. I’m happy driving it when ever I get a chance.

IMG_0029.jpeg

Reactions: Tight Lines

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
I know not a popular opinion, but i love the Range Rover i got. V8 with a blower, just over 500hp, thing moves out well. Super comfortable, dynamic air ride makes this thing float with comfort, but handle surprisingly well for the size. Can tow a lot too, so made it an easy choice for me.

Id love to get my wife one of these and get rid of the pickup. We rarely use the box as it is. An SUV would be better.

Reactions: 01bluesnake

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
X3 M40i is a great pick and they're out there for under $50k as CPO. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/9055da00-9ef2-4e41-bba1-be24ba17bb56/

Acura MDX Type S could be a good option if you need something more Explorer-size; goofy multimedia controls, however, and sub-$50k is still a stretch. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/90e90be0-b8d4-47ca-bdd1-1569e34876fa/?attribution_type=se_rp

If you want indisputable reliability, the closest you'll get is the PHEV Toyota RAV4 Prime XSE (the sportier-looking option), which has 302-hp (combined), does the quarter-mile in 14.0 seconds; it has nothing in terms of handling/driver engagement. The Prime is a plug-in hybrid with 42 miles of rated electric range (600 miles of total driving range) and the battery is small enough that you can get by with 120-volt charging. These are in super high demand, however, and paying near $50k for a RAV4 still seems insane to me. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/6ef882fa-3153-4f9c-840b-63b5f12bc1e7/

Thread Info