🏡 Better Homes Looking for garage builder

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park
Anyone have a recommendation for a garage builder in the west burbs?

With sky high interest rates I don’t see myself moving anytime soon. Would like to get some quotes and get the ball rolling on either expanding my garage or building a new one

Would consider doing the extension myself but don’t know if I really want to deal with the permits and crap on that

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
We used Danley for my parents garage. This was back in 2013 or 2014. Seems like it's well built. Since then I've heard nothing but bad about Danley and they have awful reviews, so maybe we got lucky.

Let me know if you find someone in our area that's good. I'd like to look into the possiblity of raising my garage.
Same

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I used Chicagoland Garbage Builders. It's fine but I wouldn't recommend them. Supposedly they are owned by a concrete company as a subsidiary.

I got quotes from 5 or so places. I went with what I thought would provide the best concrete work and because of that expectation I was the best disappointed. There isn't anything wrong with it but it's likely the same as any other place.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
The garage at the other house was built by Danley and yes, it is well built. This would have been around 2000.

Anyway, when we had this topic pop up awhile back, it came up that Danley was bought out a few years ago and all those negative reviews stem from post-ownership change. The reviews you see now, don't reflect the old Danley built garages.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
I've been kicking around the idea of building a new garage for years now. One thing I've learned is that most of the "big name" builders in the area suck and are also overpriced. They make it seem like they do everything themselves, but in reality they just GC the job and farm the work out to the cheapest subcontractors they can find.

Two of them quoted me 45-50k to tear down my 1-car attached garage and then build a 24x26' detached garage in back. This was for a barebones build - just the garage itself with a single 16 foot door, and the minimum amount of electric to pass the inspection (an outlet on each wall and one or two lightbulbs on the ceiling). Nothing fancy about the build or materials. Then I'd still have to spend another 10k or so to have my buddy do an asphalt driveway going back there. Spending 60k on that just doesn't seem like a good investment right now.

I found a local Irish guy who owns a small construction company, and he quoted me ~30k for the same thing. Plus we have a lot of mutual friends, so I feel a lot better about hiring him vs. some large, faceless company. So if I end up pulling the trigger, it will likely be with him.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info