🚘 Automotive Is the Coyote engine the most overrated engine of all time?

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Mixed Martial Arts Shut Up GIF by UFC

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
T
Maybe you Yodas know, what does deck support mean in a 'yote build? Dry deck, half fill, pinned the block or something?
Here are different kits. Some are held in with screws to support the sleeves (pic below). Some weld into the top of the deck to close the large water jacket. Nothing expensive or hard to do.

M220624522

bs009

Making 3800's Great Again
Feb 13, 2014
NashVegas
In my circle I think these Coyotes were underrated until we saw what that green mustang was doing the last time Cleetus ran into it. I'm blown away at what people are doing with these Coyotes right now, I had no idea they had this kind of potential because most people I've talked to with one didn't seem to even want to do a camshaft swap in these.
I bet sales of Mustangs and F150's skyrocket this year because of all of the publicity these things are getting on youtube lately.
It makes sense that a 4v high revving engine should be able to make gobs of power though.

It seems like the LS's biggest weakness right now is keeping the head gaskets from letting the water out with the kind of boost some people are running in them. Hopefully GMs next gen of their SBC has a couple more head bolts or something else going on if they want to stay competitive in drag racing. The competition is good and I'm glad someone is pushing the envelope to show what a gas car can do.
Biggest issue I see with the Coyote though still is the amount of space it takes up in the engine bay. For most people the LS is going to be so much easier to swap into another car, swap the cam and have a badass sounding car that makes gobs of power with a ton of aftermarket support for anything at all.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
In my circle I think these Coyotes were underrated until we saw what that green mustang was doing the last time Cleetus ran into it. I'm blown away at what people are doing with these Coyotes right now, I had no idea they had this kind of potential because most people I've talked to with one didn't seem to even want to do a camshaft swap in these.

The camshaft swap isn't that horrible. It's more labor due to the extra cams, cam phasers, extra timing chains, and such when compared to an OHV motor. And obviously, 4 cams are expensive for the amount of gains you get. That is why boost is so popular with them instead.

I bet sales of Mustangs and F150's skyrocket this year because of all of the publicity these things are getting on youtube lately.
It makes sense that a 4v high revving engine should be able to make gobs of power though.

The last two years have seen a ton of single cab F150 with boost running 9's & 8's on social media. They are already growing. Dealers even offer packages to have a Roush or Whipple suppercharger installed on your new F150. The base kit and truck was like $40k. That is a great offer.

And Mustang sales have always been pretty strong. With no Camaro and Dodge offering, sales should grow more.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
The camshaft swap isn't that horrible. It's more labor due to the extra cams, cam phasers, extra timing chains, and such when compared to an OHV motor. And obviously, 4 cams are expensive for the amount of gains you get. That is why boost is so popular with them instead.

The last two years have seen a ton of single cab F150 with boost running 9's & 8's on social media. They are already growing. Dealers even offer packages to have a Roush or Whipple suppercharger installed on your new F150. The base kit and truck was like $40k. That is a great offer.

And Mustang sales have always been pretty strong. With no Camaro and Dodge offering, sales should grow more.
Oh yeah the shorty coyote 10R80 F150 XL 4x4 on welds with a whipple is the new hotness. Everyone wants them now. And now Ford cut down the package so you can only get that config in an XL, no more XLT I heard.

Its a nice package but has the same shortcomings as the mustang. Except instead of axles, its the 4wd system that grenades.

Cleetus just snapped off the front crank from his whipple F150 running 21lbs and about 1k hp.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI

It seems like the LS's biggest weakness right now is keeping the head gaskets from letting the water out with the kind of boost some people are running in them. Hopefully GMs next gen of their SBC has a couple more head bolts or something else going on if they want to stay competitive in drag racing. The competition is good and I'm glad someone is pushing the envelope to show what a gas car can do.
Biggest issue I see with the Coyote though still is the amount of space it takes up in the engine bay. For most people the LS is going to be so much easier to swap into another car, swap the cam and have a badass sounding car that makes gobs of power with a ton of aftermarket support for anything at all.
Most don't do cams because they don't need them done.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Cool what trans in it
Not a clue, I don’t know the guy I just saw the video posted, reading the comments 2 of the motors haven’t had anything done to them at all still running stock oil pump gears, if you watch the guys videos you can probably hear if it’s a 10 speed or th400 I’m sure it’s one of those two, most of the guys now are able to make the 10 speed work fine for those kind of times

S8ER01Z

Addict
TCG Premium
Jun 2, 2013

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I was talking to a buddy of mine pretty plugged into the racing scene, and he casually mention Brett aka Snot Rocket, his longblock cost $58K... Sleeved, deck support mods, billet crank, and it goes on.

OK Here is them taking the motor from Brett LaSala's car apart. The race after Sick Week, Brett heard a noise in the head. So they removed it from the car. They say it has 50+ passes and 1,000 street miles on the engine. I believe he said the car has been run with 48 pounds of boost and made 2,500 or 2,600 on a hub dyno.

Where are all these exotic parts and super secret trick mods making it a $58K for a shortblock? There is nothing fancy or groundbreaking there. It uses a factory Predator block, factory main caps, groove for copper head gaskets, coolant passage support, a valley brace, factory Boss crank, aluminum rods, and pistons.

For everyone else, the teardown has a lot of good commentary. They show the parts and their observations and why everything looks so good. The top ring was losing tension due to the heat of sick week miles and different fuels for cruising track to track and why they think the factory camshaft cap failed. As well as the limited cylinder wall and a few other things are slight drawbacks to the motor. But they make some good points that I don't think many people even think about when it comes to the way engines produce power. Or how driveline can cause issues for an engine. Also, Real Street made a name for itself by making Supras and other import cars quick. They are small cubic inch, big boost guys.

Thread Info