Is that a Buick? wagon edition

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
Lots of changes lately have prompted some big moves. The wife and I are expecting our first child in May which kicked this all into motion. I work from home and travel a lot all over the country and have had the benefit of a company car the last six years. With a kid on the way I don’t want to be on the road so I applied for and accepted a job at my companies local office. Now it was time to look for a car.

I’ve really enjoyed the Grand Cherokee I’ve had the last 3 years, especially it’s usefulness in hauling cargo and materials for home improvement projects, so something with equal capability was needed. I initially started looking at certified used Grand Cherokees as it’s a car I’m already used to and has been reliable. For what I wanted to spend, all the models had more miles than I’d prefer given that I keep cars a long time. That’s when I soon remembered a car dealership I recently visited for work and the Buick Regal TourX wagon. Despite great reviews, these aren’t exactly flying off showroom floors as people prefer crossovers to wagons so GM has a lot of cash incentives on the hood to help move them. I had been searching for a few weeks and finally test drove one last Thursday and absolutely loved it. Great looking interior, lots of tech options, plenty of power and cargo capacity.

I found a certified used 2018 TourX Essence, the top trim, in NWI with only 12k miles and at a great price point. The only big option it doesn’t have is the panoramic sunroof which would have been nice, but can easily live without. I drove out this past Saturday and ended up taking it home. It had just over 14k miles on as it had been used as a loner for a few customers, but was in excellent shape both inside and out. There are a few small rock chips on the hood and small scratches, but expected given the mileage. It’s awd with a 2.0L turbo, 250 hp, 295tq.

tldr: kid on the way, new job, no more company car, hello dad wagon.

5376777F-59C2-4F8D-BBC2-FE45A5946369.jpeg

265B8BA6-7D7D-4695-89FF-993EAEA21149.jpeg

E148D326-C562-448C-B60F-6D7E97AD26EF.jpeg

The car is from Michigan, so added bonus of no license plate bracket holes, and was a GM fleet car used for its executives. So far I’ve already got weather tech front/rear floor mats, and have some other potential plans for later: wheels, tint and remove the plastic body cladding. The latter would require a new front bumper as the trim is attached through mounting holes. The rest would peel off. This is basically a rebadged Opel Insignia wagon, and the euro versions don’t have any of the cladding, which I think looks much better.

I’m very happy with it so far, and am real excited to have my own car again, especially one with options!

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
Nice. I do like these. Had one in front of me going down Kirk in Batavia a week or so ago and it looks better in person to be honest. I just can't do the 4 banger though.

Normally not a 4 cylinder fan either but so far it’s got plenty of power for my needs.

Fleet car for executives? More like a press car for journalists :rofl:

Either way, these are great. It’s an Outback that drives well. Nice buy :bigthumb:

Thanks! That could be true as well, I did have the dealer pull up the VIS showing the warranty repair history so far and it was clean aside from a few recalls.

Last edited:

Jfrost

TCG Elite Member
Dec 19, 2011
Brookfield
I like them in white too. That was the color I saw that other day.

White looks good, but I couldn’t get over the black trim around the wheel wells standing out even more. Without the cladding

I like these wagons. The cladding removal would be slick, but having to get a new bumper is less than ideal.
Yeah it wouldn’t be, but it would enable an upgrade to the GS or Sportback bumper which look good. This isn’t a huge priority, just on the wish list.

Congrats on everything, I love these and would love to put my wife in one.

Thanks man!

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
These are awesome. That stretched look makes them seem roomy and kinda luxurious. Haha. Noticed one on Roosevelt the other day in the dark green color with tints and rims. Looked straight up gangster. Congrats man! Actually considering purchasing one myself. I have a new found appreciation for wagons after spending a few weeks in Europe. Wagon game is strong over there.

Reactions: Jfrost

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Nice purchase! I really like these for a family vehicle. The dealer group I work for has 6 new 2019s available with varying amounts of discounts/rebates (dependent upon customer qualifications) for those that would like to go check one out:

Reactions: Jfrost

Thread Info