• 🚨 TCG is experiencing a case of the Sundays. Working on a getting things running faster again. - Mook

iphone users - question for ya

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Tho techradar makes a good case -

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/iphone-xr-review/6

The person that will enjoy the iPhone XR is someone who's due an upgrade or is struggling along with an iPhone 6S or iPhone 7, and wants to future-proof themselves a little.

The camera will be an upgrade, the battery life a welcome salve and the overall design a step forward. We’re never sold on the claims of the glass being ever-stronger – until a truly smash-proof phone appears we’re not bothered – but it’s good to see that Apple is trying to tackle what's a real issue for many users by making the front of the phone a little hardier.

With a range of colors on offer, this is the more budget- and fashion-conscious iPhone buyer’s handset of choice; if you’re ensconced in the Apple way of things then you’ll find a lot to enjoy on the iPhone XR.

My sister is stuck on a 6 still.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
With Apple it just pays to get the newest phone you can get....

8 is a great phone but if you can get something from the X family get it. They X gets rave reviews. Mike K didn't even upgrade his X this year and he humps Apple hard.

Future proofing is key. I think the XR is still too new to know if it will be a piece of shit.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte

8 is a great phone but if you can get something from the X family get it. They X gets rave reviews. Mike K didn't even upgrade his X this year and he humps Apple hard.

Future proofing is key. I think the XR is still too new to know if it will be a piece of shit.

It's an "entry" into the X line. Much like the 5C was the "entry" into the 5S line.

Apple has the tendency to make their "entry" phone a pile of shit a year later or skimped in places to make it entry level and it eventually falls apart. Literally. At work they bought exclusively 5Cs for employees' work phones. They were falling apart after 2 years. A few had regular 5's in better condition that were still together.

Just speaking off my experience that I've seen with Apple's "side grade", as I call them.

Tight Lines

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 18, 2014
Missouri
Mikes review was exactly the reason I went with an X phone over upgrading to the 8. We came from the 6 as well.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
FWIW I had a 6S until last week. Never was wowed enough by the 8 or price tag of the first X. Got a 128GB XR and absolutely love it. Took some getting used to without the home button but the Face ID works flawlessly but I had maybe low expectations and thought it was gimmicky. I was wrong. Battery life damn near doubled for me and it’s a much quicker phone. Has much of the same hardware as the XS so not sure why people are saying entry level. The biggest difference between the two is the OLED vs LED display and stainless steel vs aluminum. Camera is a welcome upgrade from my 6S as well

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
FWIW I had a 6S until last week. Never was wowed enough by the 8 or price tag of the first X. Got a 128GB XR and absolutely love it. Took some getting used to without the home button but the Face ID works flawlessly but I had maybe low expectations and thought it was gimmicky. I was wrong. Battery life damn near doubled for me and it’s a much quicker phone. Has much of the same hardware as the XS so not sure why people are saying entry level. The biggest difference between the two is the OLED vs LED display and stainless steel vs aluminum. Camera is a welcome upgrade from my 6S as well

I thought I'd miss the home button as well.

All the old phones with home buttons immediately felt clunky. :rofl:

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I thought I'd miss the home button as well.

All the old phones with home buttons immediately felt clunky. :rofl:

Haha - I've gotten used to it pretty quickly. I really like that now you can "tap to wake" anywhere on the screen which with the 8 and earlier you had to click the home screen if it was locked to see notifications. Makes it even easier in the car to briefly see something at a stop sign or stop light.

bnr32

Regular
TCG Premium
Nov 6, 2013
I'm still rocking my SE, i love that phone. works perfect, battery life is good and no issues.

...........but i did just buy an android to see if I like it or not, going to use both for a while and see which one i like better. I just hate having a big phone, they are obnoxious to me.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I love my X. If you can get anything in the X form factor it's a much better phone. I saw the display on an XR yesterday and I thought it was going to be noticeably worse than the OLED on my X but it also looked amazing. I'm sure blacks aren't true black but for most people that just won't matter.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info