Insect numbers are starting to tank around the world

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
I doubt roundup (Glyphosphate) has anything to do with it. It's one of the safest chemicals we've ever used. It's actually comical to me with how bad of a rap it's getting here lately. Farmers are going away from it because it doesn't kill anything anymore.

NdZ918P.jpg

https://www.newsweek.com/bee-death-scientists-warn-common-weed-killer-harming-honey-bees-1137103

That's somewhat controversial. What's toxic to us isn't always nontoxic to other things and vice versa. This is something that's a point of discussion in beekeeping circles.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
That’s because you live in the city, thousands in my back yard every night for most of the summer

I wouldn't say he lives in the "city."

When I lived in Chicago growing up they would be all over in the summer months.
I now live in Pingree Grove, which for me is country enough and they are barely seen during the summer.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I never said that. Nor do I believe that...but this is pretty serious. Bugs are bottom of the food chain....start to take some (or a lot away) and I dont have to explain what happens.

We cant just keep saying "oh, whales are dying? they'll adapt." "insect populations are rapidly falling in numbers? no biggy. some will die but others will continue on."

Some bugs rely on OTHER bugs to survive, a lot do actually....again, the bottom of the food chain falls apart, shit goes wrong really fast.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
You can't possibly believe all the insects will go extinct.

We have been trying to kill viruses and bacteria that causes diseases for years, and they mutate. We even have round up resistant weeds now. Roaches will do the same.

Lmao, nobody cares about roaches. We're concerned about insects that pollinate

Not really that concerned though because #YOLO

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Ebola crisis is still getting worse in Africa.

Humans on the West Coast are getting measles and mumps again because of a lack of immunization.

All it takes is one of these diseases mutating and we won't be worrying about bugs anymore.

As Darwin probably said, nature will adapt. We can probably expect stronger, meaner bugs to take over the world once the wuss bugs are gone.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info