Info/Opinions on 2012 VW Jetta TDI

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
I am considering a 2012 VW Jetta TDI with 120k miles because I always heard they get really great mpg's. I recall they had emissions issues from factory with a factory fix and extension of emission warranty. What are the long term prospects of the engine? This one hasn't had the factory fix so wanted opinions on it pre fix or should I get the factory fix? Any mods for these to reliably increase power?

Jon01

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 8, 2012
I have a 2015 Passat TDI that I bought as a new leftover in 2017 that I love for a daily commuter.
It gets ~40mpg on my daily commute, will hit 45+ running 78 down the highway and is very cheap to run.
I'm approaching 80k and knock on wood have not had any problems with it aside from a loose sway bar end link fixed under warranty.
Prior to the Passat I had a 2011 or 12 Jetta TDI that VW bought back from me and I rolled that money into the Passat, it too was very reliable and a great car.
My only gripe is I wish it were a little bigger and had a little more power, and as such am looking at TDI A6's.

In your situation if the deal makes sense I'd say buy it, my experience has been very positive.
I would be on the fence on the fix, I haven't driven one before/after but if there's no incentive to get it fixed, I'd run it as-is.
They may extend the warranty to incentivize you getting the fix applied to it, that's a personal decision though, I've heard people who have had before/after say they didn't drive as nice after and the engine seemed peaky after.

Malone tuning does a ton of stuff for them, once my warranty is up I plan on deleting/tuning my Passat.
They respond to tunes like a diesel - well - more power and mpg's.

Reactions: rowekmr
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• rowekmr
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list