Impressions of the Brand New C8 Z06 Corvette

shockerracing.com

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 9, 2006
Dundee, IL
So over the weekend I had the opportunity to help out a friend, they really had to twist my arm as the help required me to spend some time in their brand new C8 Z06 Corvette. This friend, Terry, has purchased a brand new C3 Corvette back in 1970 in a beautiful blue color with blue interior. He still owns that car to this day along with a C6 Z06 in the same blue with blue interior color combo. He custom ordered this new C8 Z06 through Hendricks Chevrolet and was able to have GM match the VIN on this newest Vette to the VIN on his original 1970 Vette, which I thought was a really cool option that Chevy allowed. Of course, this came at a price but in the end I think it will be worth it to have this combo matched together. He was also able to take museum delivery which allowed him to pick up the car from the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, KY. From there it was towed back to Illinois where he has been storing it along side my dads Vette collection.

Over this past weekend, MIRPA hosted their annual car show in Raceway Woods which takes place on what is left of the Meadowdale Raceway in Carpentersville. Terry is a long time member of the National Corvette Restorers Society(NCRS) and wanted to have it judged for the NCRS Sportsman award which took place during the MIRPA event. He was unable to attend himself, so thats where I came in. I picked it up from storage with only 21 miles on the odometer, and got to put a handful of miles around town on the car.

I will admit, from seeing the C8 Z06 online I wasn't 100% sold on it as I didn't think the body changes from the standard C8 where "wild" enough for me. But at first startup it was obvious the Z06 engine was an entirely different beast. Now with such few miles on the engine, it is still in break-in mode so I was unable to fully put the car to the test. This didn't stop me from being able to engine the feel of the engine and trans and they wound through the lower RPM range. The trans is extremely crisp, and gives a much different feel from the standard C8. I believe this blue is called Elkhart Lake Blue, but don't quote me on that. The interior came in a two toned blue and black combo and features a decent amount of carbon fiber. I will be getting to spend a little more time with this one later this week as I have been asked to install a couple of basic parts on it, so hopefully I will report back with more pics and details later on. For now, after spending the weekend with the car I can say that Chevy has resparked my interest in the C8 Z06 Corvette!

I will attach a few pics to the thread, unfortunately I didn't take any good shots of the interior but I did do a FB live walk through on Friday that you can see here:

5.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info