I want TCG to survive - a plea from Mook

First off, thank you Mook for putting an effort into this versus just pulling the plug. I for one would like to see TCG stick around.

I get the politics and post not related to threads being annoying. I read a thread and can see when it goes off course, mainly with politics, it has a hard time recovering. But in most cases, I move on and just don't click on the threads.

I am someone who uses the "New Post" feature. I then see the threads with new posts and then I decide what ones I click to read or what ones I skip altogether. Sometimes I skip them because I am not in the mood and end up reading them some other time. Others I just avoid like the plague. But I have the choice to read them or not.

I can be fine with a healthy discussion on a topic. Honeslty, the trolling bugs me more than anything. But then again, I just don't read it and move on with my life. hahaha

I would like to see more personal interaction with meets, cruises, track days, and so on. In my experience, those kinds of events usually saw an increase of post before and after.

ok, I am going to use you as an example of why some threads go nowhere. I have seen other threads fall flat for similar reasons. Don't take it as picking on you. I know you can handle it. :ugh: :D

I assume you mean this thread

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/member-rides-sightings/150693-rolling-chassis-finished.html

You had no details about the project. Not even what the chassis was for. Then you posted a link to another website thread. That website thread had only two replies as well. Because you posted a pic and no info. Then another link to a build thread. The first person who posted in your TCG Thread posted this...

If it is due to us being lazy, it isn't just a TCG thing. I see other forums with the same issue. Threads with links to other forums don't seem to do well at all. So right up front, someone gave you constructive criticism and you did nothing with it. You did not change the original post or post anything after that. There was a complete build thread on the Jeep forum. You didn't do a complete build thread here. Had you posted a complete build thread like that you probably would have had more involvement with the members here. When you post every few day or weeks you can keep momentum with the posts.

Think of a thread as an advertisement. Info, great pics, creative writing, and so on all help catch people's eyes and interest. There are plenty of build threads on here that get a lot of views and continue on for weeks, months, if not years. Maybe they are not custom, one-off, builds. But many people on this forum seem to enjoy them non the less.

I like reading about a younger persons point of view on forums and social media. Years ago the forums were much bigger due to the information available. They were where you went for help. Youtube has definitely helped out in that area. I use it all the time as there is good info and visuals that text just doesn't do justice. But again, many of the forums and threads include user Youtube video as well. It can definitely be an addition to a thread.

I have told Mook I use TCG probably more than any forum. Out of boredom mainly nowadays. Back in the day I used it more due to events and meets. And it seems Mook is going to try and get back to seeing if events will help the forum. I think it will.

I think TCG has a more mature feel compared to a lot of other forums I use. It does have a nice selection of interests be it cars, motorcycles, fishing, bicycles, boats, woodworking, sports, and so on. Because I am on here more than anywhere else I also get a lot of my news here. Especially mid day happenings since I typically only read the news in the morning. So it is a nice place to get fresh events. lol

Private groups are fine if you are in a group of friends that are going to have answers to your questions. If they don't and youtube comes up dry the forums are great due to the number of members and experience with a specific platform if a car. Or whatever the specialty of the forum is.

I would really hate to see forums die. I think they have a place in the land of FB, Insta, Snapchat, and so on. All those things are useful and have a place. But I feel forums have a place as well.

I see what you mean about the thread, and agree.... hadn't thought about it like that.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info