I have a 5.0/ten speed F150 currently whatcha wanna know?

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
I meant more along the lines of the fact its MSRP is like all other trucks these days. E.g. get a $46XXX MSRP truck for $40k flat, or even less. The discounts aren't quite as deep as the big boy trucks, but they're also not insignificant or hard to find in the least. So you won't be paying $50k for one unless you load it up with stacked lightbars and dealer accessories, and then tell the salesman you would prefer not to have any of the discounts they volunteered right off the bat anyway, let alone any negotiating. That's all I was saying.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Its too much for not enough truck... And I'm not talking size, the size is perfect. Its the payload and towing reduction due to the fancy shocks. I think the Payload is 450lbs less and the towing is 2,000 less.

I think the Tesla hauls more

That's the whole point I was trying to get at. Coloardo's/Canyon's are just WAY too expensive, and give up almost too much. Realistically you are in the mid-30's for a non-stripper Colorado. I KNOW you can get decently equipped crew cab F150's and Silverado's for that money, and I'm talking Coyote's and 5.3/8-speed Silverado's. You could argue you're giving up mileage with a full size, but even then 4x4 5.0 F150 is rated 16/22, 4x4 8-speed 5.3 rated 15/20, V6 4x4 Colorado 17/24. Shit, if you went with the 4x4 2.7T F150, you actually get BETTER mileage than the Colorado at 19/24.

I really like the idea of the Colorado, I just can't get behind the price.

I looked for used trucks the other day. $25K max, 2012 or newer, 4x4, Crew Cab. There were a smattering of Colorado's, cheapest being a 2016 LT with 90K miles at $23K! That's outrageous. And I'm looking at Coyote F150 XLT's, same year, same mileage, for the same price! The same goes for the Silverado's. Why in the fuck would I buy a Colorado that gives up space, towing, payload, and gets the same gas mileage to a full size?

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I meant more along the lines of the fact its MSRP is like all other trucks these days. E.g. get a $46XXX MSRP truck for $40k flat, or even less. The discounts aren't quite as deep as the big boy trucks, but they're also not insignificant or hard to find in the least. So you won't be paying $50k for one unless you load it up with stacked lightbars and dealer accessories, and then tell the salesman you would prefer not to have any of the discounts they volunteered right off the bat anyway, let alone any negotiating. That's all I was saying.

But that's what I'm saying, you're not getting the discounts on the Colorado, any of the versions, like the big boys. So you end up paying 1/2 ton prices, for much less vehicle. I suspect the Ranger will be the same scenario.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
That's the whole point I was trying to get at. Coloardo's/Canyon's are just WAY too expensive, and give up almost too much. Realistically you are in the mid-30's for a non-stripper Colorado. I KNOW you can get decently equipped crew cab F150's and Silverado's for that money, and I'm talking Coyote's and 5.3/8-speed Silverado's. You could argue you're giving up mileage with a full size, but even then 4x4 5.0 F150 is rated 16/22, 4x4 8-speed 5.3 rated 15/20, V6 4x4 Colorado 17/24. Shit, if you went with the 4x4 2.7T F150, you actually get BETTER mileage than the Colorado at 19/24.

I looked for used trucks the other day. $25K max, 2012 or newer, 4x4, Crew Cab. There were a smattering of Colorado's, cheapest being a 2016 LT with 90K miles at $23K! That's outrageous. And I'm looking at Coyote F150 XLT's, same year, same mileage, for the same price! The same goes for the Silverado's. Why in the fuck would I buy a Colorado that gives up space, towing, payload, and gets the same gas mileage to a full size?

zr2 is different than the rest. Sure I have a mid thirties z71 colorado and i know I could have gotten a silverado for that but it wouldn't be optioned the same, wouldn't fit in my garage, and would cost me more in fuel/insurance/maintenance because bigger and heavier.

And reality is always different than on paper. My wife wanted a Raptor so bad and now that she has the Colorado she couldn't be happier. Its easier to park and maneuver and that pays dividends every day. I don't miss the additional size or capability ever.

And no extended cab silverado!

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
zr2 is different than the rest. Sure I have a mid thirties z71 colorado and i know I could have gotten a silverado for that but it wouldn't be optioned the same, wouldn't fit in my garage, and would cost me more in fuel/insurance/maintenance because bigger and heavier.

And reality is always different than on paper. My wife wanted a Raptor so bad and now that she has the Colorado she couldn't be happier. Its easier to park and maneuver and that pays dividends every day. I don't miss the additional size or capability ever.

And no extended cab silverado!

I want to try one of the new Extended Cab Silverado's. I know it's goofy looking with the mini rear door, but 99% of the time, I'd just be putting the dog in there, and it'd probably be easier than the suicide door of the Ford or Colorado. Plus they are cheap!

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
We think the short door looks goofier but is more functional in that you don't have to open the front. Though the suicide door makes a larger opening available. It's really how you use it. It's a purse holder for my wife and an emergency back seat. We don't out the dog back there. Our Dane rides in the volt. She is eco concious.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013

Dunno man, I don't compare the ZR2 to any of those items you listed, and I honestly don't know a ton about the other trims other than the fact they hold their value pretty well (still slightly worse than a comparable 3rd Taco though). As John mentioned, there are items that don't show up in your bench test which are factors in peoples' IRL decisions, perhaps that's why their resale reflects this?

If you're going to compare any of the Colorado trims to bigger trucks outside of the Raptor, it makes sense to leave the ZR2's numbers out of it completely, in which case you're light years away from 50k.

But that's what I'm saying, you're not getting the discounts on the Colorado, any of the versions, like the big boys. So you end up paying 1/2 ton prices, for much less vehicle. I suspect the Ranger will be the same scenario.

Also dunno here. I'm not sure if you did the math on the numbers I put up, but that's about 15%. Like I said, not insignificant, and on top of that a lot of the fixed-number rebates will translate to a higher percentage off on lower trims, but again I didn't exhaustively research any of the other trims, so I could be off there.

But then again, I like cars and trucks other people don't, so I'm probably the last person to listen to.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
In all areas I tried to match like trims for like trims and features (4x4 and crew cabs). Not ZR2 Colorado vs XL F150. Honestly, if you look at the advertised price on the websites, dealers have started throwing the incentives in there already, so you could still get some money off that advertised price, but you look and its the ~15% you’re looking at off MSRP. Or if they are being real assholes, like a couple dealers I’ve come across, and the online price is only cash price with ALL incentives, maybe some of which you wouldn’t qualify for (a farmer with two right feet with a middle name of Harold) so you end up haggling at that advertised price. At least that’s what I’ve come across at the dealers I’ve pursued recently looking at new cars.

I wouldn’t even quote MSRP on trucks because we know none of them go for that. At least with the advertised price, you get SOME idea of the range they are going for, or you get an idea of ranges for specific features and trims.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
it's a fucking truck :rofl:

my bmw is likely slower in a straight line than this 5.0 i have currently but the bmw is 10x more fun to drive

all of the domestic manufacturers are currently giving their trucks away. you can find gas ferds for nearly 15k off as well.

as [MENTION=1983]Outlaw[/MENTION] has said everywhere, that argument is tired and weak.

I’m getting close to that off a 3500 RAM... and it’s typically harder to deal on 3500’s than 1500/2500 trucks since they know people are buying them for a reason.

Idk about current day, but a Hemi 8-speed and ecodiesel 8-speed there’s a 7-8 MPG difference in highway driving comparing 2015:2015

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
So i had this thing about 3 and a half weeks.

I drove it ~2200 miles

around 400 or so of those miles were on e85- i got around 16 mpg on e85.

overall MPG from when i picked it up until i returned it, was 18.5mpg.

which is impressive to me. driving my truck similarly i average 12-13 at best.

The trans like i said earlier, had some weird shifts occasionally... i had the truck in "normal" mode always. Some random downshifts with a solid clunk.

The thing is a ripper though, as ive said... punch it at 40/50 and it moves the fuck out.

I never came around to the seats. i was really excited to get back into my 150k mile poverty gasser gm leatherette junk.

I will miss the interior space for sure- it's crazy how much room there is in the ford half tons. makes my truck feel like a colorado inside.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info