How to open a can of worms, boat edition

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Officially out of resin. Got those two small pieces up too put on and back filled a bit under the edge of the windshield there. I scraped the rotted wood out from under there but did not want to cut into it. I plan to drill a couple holes and fill the void with resin using a syringe. Spending some time cleaning up and calling it a day.

aURH44n.jpg

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
It's not THAT bad. This doesn't have to look nice so it's a lot less stressful. It's a 20" x 36" section of floor. It's going to wait to be fixed. Ripped out almost half of it with no tools, that's how rotted it is. I've just had tools and shit piled in the aft cabin since I bought this thing so I haven't seen it. Recently three out all the cushions from back there too

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
yo.

I got up to the boat yesterday morning early. Out until 1 or so and woke up at 5:30. Massively hung over and wearing a tyvek suit, full face respirator, grinding and sanding for two hours. I got the last of the panels laminated onto the bow. Handled some misc. other repairs while up there including lying in the v berth feeling miserable for an hour or so. Once it started raining i kinda gave up. My cockpit enclosure needs to be treated, it was leaking water everywhere so it wasn't worth trying to hang out and do work out there. I was hoping to spend my whole weekend up there again and have the thing ready for nonskid paint by tonight.

NOPE.

This week looks nice after tuesday though. I'll end up taking a couple half days to finish up this week, use the weekend to get all my materials out of there, clean the fuck out of everything. Im going to make an appointment for transport some time at the end of next week. Theres light at the end of the tunnel!

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
There's light at the end of the tunnel, I can see it. Took a nooner from work today. 60 grit flap disc on a grinder for an hour. 12:1 bevel on all the panel seams. Over an inch of dust settled. Vacuumed the easy stuff up then tore the shrink wrap off the boat. Made some thickened epoxy to fill a couple deep divits and let that gel up. Wet out all the seams and laid a biaxial fiberglass tape over that to bond the panels together structurally. Built up a few spots to get things as close to level as I could reasonably manage. I'll be back on Saturday to sand all the loose fiberglass off then fair out the whole panel. Probably buff the hull the rest of my day. Sunday, sand the fairing compound down and roll the paint on.

Here's everything back together with the glass laid up. Feels so good to be at this point, it doesn't seem like an endless project any more.

zrVM1zH.jpg

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Pro tip: buy 3x the material you anticipate and use it all like someone else is paying for it. I've made way too many stops for extra mixing cups, brushes, gloves, etc.

Also, if I did this again I would lay all new fiberglass over the spot. It would have been easier and more structurally sound. Butfuggit. If it lasts two more seasons, it's the next owners problem.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Fill every screw hole with caulk before you put the screw in and rot isn't a huge problem, I had one spot when I bought my powerplay, someone put in a battery box it didn't have a lid, they also put the engine compartment vent in backwards so it scooped air or in this case water into the battery box 4 screw holes were the only place for the battery box water to drain too, luckily it was just a 3'x2' spot I had to cut out and glass in and it was an engine room so I just had to paint it rather than non slid or wet sand and buff

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I already one upped that. Every screw I pull out, hole has been drilled to 1/2" and back filled with thickened epoxy. The hole will never be exposed to the coring again. Also yanked out every single carpet snap on the deck and did the same today. Still getting water in the aft cabin and trying to narrow it down. Rub rail is the next culprit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info