How screwed am I? Odometer records wayyyyy off.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
So we’re playing with the idea of trading in our car and I just looked at my title and the title states about 25,000 more miles than I currently have on it.

giphy.gif

The car is a 2017 model year that I bought in late 2017 with 24k miles. Either the dealership put 82k miles on the title application back then, or the DMV put that there. And I didn’t know about this since the bank held the title until I paid it off recently.

Now I get ready to register and title the car in my new state and I think this is going to be an issue... Also tried an online trade in offer and it wouldn’t do it due to the mileage discrepancy since the last records show the 82k miles, versus the current 64k...

So any advice? Hunt down if the dealership screwed it up? Or if the DMV fat fingered it? And also tell the bank they should have verified title info before sitting on it for a couple years?

I’m assuming selling it is going to be more difficult and also the value is going to drop...

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
do you have any IL emission paper work which would connect the mileage at time of testing and a date if the testing?

No emissions testing in Arkansas. ‘Murica

Any subsequent dealer visits for ANYTHING? Every time a car comes in they are supposed to record the in and out mileage.
It did have a small recall job done to it less than a year ago. Other than that, it’s never been to a shop for other work...
Contact the dealer you bought it from to get it corrected for you. Ask them politely to do the work, as it happened during that transaction. Or suggest they buy the car from you for the proper market value, plus any tax savings you would've gotten from a trade in.
I’ll reach out to them. Unfortunately it was a dealership in Missouri...
Should be fine.... contact the DMV and explain the situation to them... little suspicious that a less than year old vehicle when you bought it would have nearly 90k miles on it. That should work to your advantage. As long as you have your original paperwork too, it will be fine.
I’ll try this too.

Anyone able to run a carfax check on it for me so I might be able to see what the history actually shows? Thanks!

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
It did have a small recall job done to it less than a year ago. Other than that, it’s never been to a shop for other work...

You should be able to contact any dealer and pull the records, but may be easier to ask the dealer who actually did the work. The mileage on that service report will help your case out.

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
Update - Called Arkansas DMV and they saw in their files the correct mileage when we purchased the car in 2017, and they had no idea how the 82k miles made it on the title.
So I mailed back my title to have it corrected. Received a new AR title yesterday that is dated as of 9/2/20 but with the mileage from when I bought the car...
So next week I’m going to title and register the car in Virginia and the correct mileage of 65k will be on this title. I’m assuming the vehicle history report is going to look so crazy.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Update - Called Arkansas DMV and they saw in their files the correct mileage when we purchased the car in 2017, and they had no idea how the 82k miles made it on the title.
So I mailed back my title to have it corrected. Received a new AR title yesterday that is dated as of 9/2/20 but with the mileage from when I bought the car...
So next week I’m going to title and register the car in Virginia and the correct mileage of 65k will be on this title. I’m assuming the vehicle history report is going to look so crazy.

the history reports can be adjusted too though just reach out to carfax/autocheck etc and they will change shit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info