how long do you let your car warm up?

Poopshinanigans

I'm a middle of the titties voter.
Nov 18, 2007
I put all of my shit (jacket, scarf and gloves) a couple minutes before i go outside, that way i built up a nice, heated air barrier. Then i go outside and let the car run for about a min to get all the juices where they need to be. Then i drive away, nice and slow. While the car is warming up i already have that heat in my jacket and gloves so i can stand the couple minutes of cold.

People who are always late and don't have time to get the interior warm should buy a I6 Wrangler. Primalzers parents have one and that thing heated up like a torch in almost no time.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I put all of my shit (jacket, scarf and gloves) a couple minutes before i go outside, that way i built up a nice, heated air barrier. Then i go outside and let the car run for about a min to get all the juices where they need to be. Then i drive away, nice and slow. While the car is warming up i already have that heat in my jacket and gloves so i can stand the couple minutes of cold.

People who are always late and don't have time to get the interior warm should buy a I6 Wrangler. Primalzers parents have one and that thing heated up like a torch in almost no time.

yeah thats how my cherokee was last year... those I6 jeep motors run at approximately the temperature of the sun... so they warm up quite quickly.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Autostart the car from in the house, pick up my stuff and head out... Since my car sits in the garage I don't like to start it too early as it gets a little stuffy in there with the pent up exhaust fumes...

Then I pull out and sit another 30 seconds while the garage door closes, I try to baby it until the temp gauges moves/heat comes on (Auto Climate so it doesn't blow until its warm).

Biff

Banned
May 24, 2007
Summer 10 seconds, Winter 1 minute. Letting the car sit there idling isn't doing any good for the car, just creating carbon deposits and wasting gas. It does however get the coolant warmed up so the heater can warm you up. The oil is still not going to be up to temperature.

The best way to warm the car up is just to drive easy until your oil warms up. This happens some time after the coolant reaches operating temp. So after my coolant reaches temp I drive another 10 minutes before any aggressive driving. The car will warm up much quicker with a light load compared to it just sitting there.
This ^

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
On a warm day, it takes a generous 30 to 40 seconds for the oil to circulate. through the motor and lube everything. In the winter, depending on how late I am running for work...which is now a 7 minute drive (up from 5 just last month 'cuz a light was reprogrammed), once the heat from the seat penetrates my jacket...about 2 to 3 minutes...is what I wait.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info