Help me with my mods....

bluegpgtp

Regular
Jan 22, 2008
Bourbonnais, IL
Real Name
Doug
just my .02... i have run AL104's forever and i usually get 10-15k out of them without problems. I have never seen any effect on MPG's. Also L32's pull some timing with a stock pulley often.. i would look into a scanner before i went any smaller on the pulley. I have had a lot of combos i thought were safe and they were knocking. At a minimum find someone with a scanner to help you tune it. Also headers FTW i have some i WOULD sell cheap but im stuck in Afghanistan... Dont waste money on manifolds or D/P because you will only upgrade later. Modding is a sickness just do it right the first time.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
FWIW I have a set of SLP headers I am selling. i will let them go for a good price. they are ceramic coated, pretty good shape for being used for a couple years. I will post up some pics here of the front manifold with crossover...I will have to pull the rear out when I get my motor and trans out either tonight or tomorrrow. damn axle nuts:fu:

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
MY $.02...

I had GREAT luck in my L67 with NGK V's and ran about 20 mpg around town and 26 hwy.

That being said, first, I would yank the NGK's out and see if one is fouled out and re-check them to make sure the gaps are on. I've had one that was supposed to be pre-gapped, but it was .15 off. I don't think that would drop your mileage that much, but it's not impossible, if you aren't getting a good or strong spark. Maybe you might have a bad wire from swapping out the plugs too.

If all of that checks out, try a set of AL's.

On a side note, if you are thinking about getting a 3.5, I happen to have a ZZP 3.5 without a hub for sale.

One thing I would definitely recommend is a ZZP Water Pump Pulley. They are bigger, so it takes some of the stress off of the motor. I figured out that I was getting about .4 to .5 MPG better with it on my car. If this is your DD, then when gas gets to $5 a gallon, you'll pay for the pulley within a few months.

I just swapped the H2O pulley off on Sunday from my old GTP to my 'Bird. This was my first "mod" for the GTP, it's easy to install and something that I will never sell as long as I have a 3800 V6. However, since you are so close, if you wanted to borrow the ZZP H2O pulley for a week or 2 to see if there is a difference, I would let you. However, if you want one, you'll have ot get your own.

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
I like the NGK plugs better, but some seem to like the autolites better, as they only last 6k - 8k, you can try them both, and see which you like better........ And I'd buy a set of Ebay headers over a 3" DP, the cost is pretty similar these days, but the gains of headers are much better than a DP....... just my.02

Definitely! For the work involved, you'd be better with the headers.

I also happen to have an L67 Scanmaster :h5: for sale!

As far as plugs are concerned. I used NGK V's (fives). I couldn't say that I had a problem with them. I never tired the Autolites, but I had a whole world of garbage/knock when I ran the stock Iridium plugs with my set-up. I replaced my spark plugs 5 or 6 times since I owned my car. Before I started modding I used the stock Iridium ones. After modding, I only used NGK's (minus one time I decided to see what the stockers would do). I couldn't see or justify replacing all 6 plugs multiple times per year.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info