Guys/Gals who currently or about to get car serviced at a dealership

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
My wife was a public school teacher before she stayed home with the kids. I've felt the union scam first hand!

She never got laid off, but she'd tell me about solid performing/driven new teachers would get laid off after a year or two, while tenured 60 year olds who didn't care about the job anymore would keep their jobs. Meanwhile the 60 year old who wasn't worth a damn would be making over 2 times what the younger teacher would make.

Made no sense to me.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
I don't necessarily have an issue with private sector unions; if people want to join them and companies want to employ union workers then have at it. Public sector unions are a straight up scam!

What I don't get...is why would any private sector company deal with a union? If I owned a car dealership there is no way I'd have the union in my shop. I'd pay the workers fair/competitive wages and offer fair/competitive benefits, and make it so the employees didn't feel a need to join a union. This way when some loser made their way in the door, I could fire them in the blink of an eye without worrying about arbitration and such.

I agree with you on the private sector unions. They really are an evil disease. I've seen firsthand how the private sector Chicago tradesmen operate. It's a complete drain on taxpayers!

I'm a union pipefitter, and I can tell you nothing but our package wage is guaranteed to us. We can be laid off anytime our employer gets slow, feels like we aren't worth a shit, or any other reason. The union does not guarantee us a job. We get an hours pay for an hours work...no more, no less. Our package right now is right around $80/hr and people pay us because we are skilled and worth it. Our training and apprenticeship program is second to none. Anyone ever drive by the 597 Pipefitters training building I80 in Mokena? It's an awesome facility.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
701 also doesn't touch the publics pocketbooks. So all our crying and temper tantrums Won't cost you money like a teachers pension fund does

Like I told you, people around here have such a bad taste from unions because of the private sector leeches.

My pay, healthcare, pension, and 401k costs the public taxpayer 0 dollars.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Like I told you, people around here have such a bad taste from unions because of the private sector leeches.

My pay, healthcare, pension, and 401k costs the public taxpayer 0 dollars.

I partly agree. It doesn't cost the general taxpayers anything, just consumers who buy from the company that passes the pension costs onto the people that buy their products.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I'd like to add that we didn't receive a raise this year and haven't been on strike since the 70's from what I remember old timers telling me.

I didn't get a raise for two years at my last company because they weren't performing well. I would have felt a lot better about it if I was getting a free ride in retirement.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I didn't get a raise for two years at my last company because they weren't performing well. I would have felt a lot better about it if I was getting a free ride in retirement.

I got a 10% pay cut for 6 months of last year and we set a profit and free cash flow record. Corporate wouldn't accept the fact that we were going to miss our 2016 financial plan.

Private sector is ruthless!

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Customer pay is 132/hr

My wage I believe is 32.50
Package is $46 and hourly rate is $132?!?! Holy shit that's crazy! Most shops normally charge around $120ish/hr for us. I have a work van so they charge $140/hr for me.

Lmao, a free ride in retirement? My entire retirement is paid for by ME! By wages I've earned! My employer makes a healthy profit and us pipefitters make a comfy middle class living. Why are you so mad? You want me to tell you how to sign up for the test to get into the apprenticeship? It's hard work and dangerous, but very satisfying to actually accomplish and build something with your hands.

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
My 2 union neighbors tell me all the time how they go in and work 4 to 6 hours and get paid for 8. My one neighbor was having a beer with us just this past week and was laughing that technically he was still on the clock. One is in the welders union the other is in the tapers union. Great for them, not so much for everyone else.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info