Getting my eyes lasered on Thursday, anyone else have Lasik done?

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Did you try hard lenses? I wore hard lenses for about 20 years, and then I went to soft lenses a couple years before lasik, and every once in a while my eye would hurt and I wouldn't be able to look at light. I wrote it off as eye infections.

When I went to get lasik, the doc asked if I had pain in my eyes before, and I told him about it. He said I had scars on my eye from ulcers, and said they were from soft lenses not letting enough oxygen through.

He explained how soft lenses are like having saran wrap on your eye, where a hard lense is porous and lets oxygen to the eye.

No, she recommended not. My only option if I wanted them was soft.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I did it 10 years ago. It was $2000 which seems absurdly cheap but it was done like an assembly line which was unsettling. What I mean by that is that on a Saturday morning me and probably 15 other people all sat in a waiting room as they pulled us in, did the procedure and then sent us home. Each person took about 5 - 10 minutes.

I didn't think I'd be able to get it because I can't touch my eye. Even as an adult I could never have contacts because I couldn't get them in. They squeegee liquid morphine on to your eye so it feels like it's not even there. Then you get a first hand view of the machine cutting the flap and the moment they move it everything goes blurry and you just stars of light. When the laser fires you smell burning flesh which is interesting.

It took me a day before my vision was fully back. I remember being confused because it was tough to focus only because it was so clear and even with my best pair of glasses I never saw that clear. If you've ever had it where you went a week without glasses and then one day you get a new pair, it's that feeling.

I get halos around street lights but nothing bad enough that you notice until you notice it if you know what I mean. You'll notice it and be aware of it but then you just forget about it.

My stomach just did a backflip

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The "nurse" asked me twice if I wanted valium sent to walgreens so Id have it for the procedure. Each time I said no and he seemed surprised.

Bro, I've woken up in the hospital and heard bones crunch in my arm and Ive woken up at home and heard bones crunch in my arm. You fucking with my eyes aint gonna scare me :rofl:

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I'm pretty sure I read (and its the internet so who knows if its 100% true) but there has never been a case of blindness from lasik in the US.

Phew. Actually I haven't thought about getting it. Heather should since we spend so much on her damn contacts. I like glasses and my vision is pretty fucked and I wouldn't be shocked to know it isn't fixable.

I have the camera 1 - camera 2 thing going, aka I am extremely 1 eye dominant to the point I can knowingly switch which eye I focus with.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I'm pretty sure I read (and its the internet so who knows if its 100% true) but there has never been a case of blindness from lasik in the US.

There are always risks but there are also risks with using contacts on a daily basis. I was getting eye infections routinely even if I used brand new disposables and new cases/solutions. If anything Lasik is so routine that you shouldn't have any problems with how streamlined the process is.

Thread Info