TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Baby Boomers Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I am bad, but my buddy legit had 17 semi loads of scrap at his mom's when she passed.
He was masterful at utilizing the space that he had. It's tetris'd in a very well organized way, well, only organized because HE knew exactly where everything was. Even when his vision was failing, "it's in the basement, third cabinet from the left, 4th drawer down, under the notepad." But now, as he's not here to help, it's just a giant clusterfuck.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
My grandma just passed and she was born in ‘36. Just a house FULL of newspapers, paper clippings, fabric she was going to use for…..something etc. my mom is there cleaning it out. She’s found a whole bunch of cool old pictures but 98% of it is actual trash.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
98% of what any packrat has is actual trash. I managed to convince my in laws to pay a full-service moving & estate sale company to clean out my wife's grandma's place (which is pretty tidy, not cluttered), and they seem flabbergasted that the movers told them it wasn't worth having an estate sale. The grandparents literally had not bought a piece of furniture since the 70's, the couches feel like you're sitting on metal, why on earth would you think any of this is worth $.

in laws still want to try and sell the dining room table though, like a moral victory or something

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
My grandma just passed and she was born in ‘36. Just a house FULL of newspapers, paper clippings, fabric she was going to use for…..something etc. my mom is there cleaning it out. She’s found a whole bunch of cool old pictures but 98% of it is actual trash.
My MIL has half her house full of fabrics that she is gonna use, going on 50 years now.

• Haha
Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
My MIL has half her house full of fabrics that she is gonna use, going on 50 years now.
I think some of it is just that depression era thought process. My grandma was 1 of 7 kids and were poor af. She left on her own at like 16-17 because it was better than staying home. Met my grandfather at 18.

So anything of “value” she kept

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I think some of it is just that depression era thought process. My grandma was 1 of 7 kids and were poor af. She left on her own at like 16-17 because it was better than staying home. Met my grandfather at 18.

Same with my grandparents. My grandfather was a child during the depression and was in the Pacific Islands during WWII. He went through some rough times in his younger years to say the least. His wife was 1st generation born in the states, grew up dirt poor and was raised by her older sister. My grandparents ended up doing well and living a fairly comfortable suburban middle class life, but it's hard to shake that thought that you could lose everything, so anything that could become useful shouldn't be thrown away.

I'm sure a lot of that mentality rubbed off on the boomer generation.

Reactions: b00sted

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida

My grandparents lived through the depression, my MIL would be the generation after that. I think my grandparents were considered greatest generation.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
My maternal grandparents are the polar opposite of what everyone in talking about. They lived through the depression, but didn't hoard shit. Probably because my grandpa was stationed around the world as a Marine, so he didn't collect much. They knew what was what, and what had value. They even had it listed out, for when their time came. My mom had an appraiser go through their belongings and he basically said, "they knew exactly what they had". All of the "valuables" fit in my truck, and I drove it home from Boston. Everything else, per their wishes was donated. The exceptions were personalized items, like family history/genealogy, his military records/medals, etc.

The largest item was the dining room table, which my grandma wanted me to have. It was handmade by their friend, as a wedding present to them in 1937. Does it have monetary value? No.

Thread Info