đź’¬ OT Geriatric fucks vs Millennials: Facts, Insults, Charts, Memes and More

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
My dad was a horrible hoarder. When he passed in late 18, he had already been in a nursing home and we were already planning on selling his condo and had started clearing it out.

This man had paper pay stubs from the 60s still in the condo. Auto show plastic bags from the 80s and 90s from the different manufacturers. So much stuff. It took us probably 200 hours to just clear out his crap and get the condo cleaned up and in a condition ready to sell. What a pain in the ass that was.
Why is every fucking boomer like this, I don’t understand. There are almost no exceptions. Easily >95% are packrats with many of them being hoarders. You basically never seen them live minimalist or even normal.

My in laws are major packrats, i wouldn’t quite call them hoarders though. They ride the line. I don’t even bring it up because it triggers them so bad lol. FIL has a jam packed basement, packed garage, packed shed, AND a storage unit full of worthless stuff. It’s nuts. He’s had the storage unit for well over 10 years

Reactions: DEEZUZ

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Fuck if you have a title I'll give you 500 for the bird and dig it out myself and put the stuff I dig out into the dumpster of your choice.

Also, ironically I'm trying to stick to one project car these days. More focus and less bullshit that way. Still have shit from the Astro I need to toss out on CL or wherever.

• Haha
Reactions: Yaj Yak

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
You will want to clean it out for sale so you can get that boomer transfer of wealth everyone is talking about nowadays.
They destroyed all that wealth. It’s tied up in nic nacs & furniture that cost them hundreds of thousands over 4+ decades that nobody would take for free today, and poorly designed houses that nobody wants

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Fuck if you have a title I'll give you 500 for the bird and dig it out myself and put the stuff I dig out into the dumpster of your choice.
You know what the biggest issue with hoarders is... They do not give up anything for free.

I told my mom I was sending a crew to get the pool table thats in her basement when I got my house. It's had garbage piled on it for 10 years..

"no you're not, I'm going to use it"

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
We put our house on a diet every Spring and Fall. A small amount of family heirlooms are kept.

That said, I too have emptied a family members residencies, getting it ready for sale. It is a little surreal to estate sale or throw their belongings (life) away into a dumpster. Most artifacts has a history or story to tell from that point in their life.

I like to keep the pictures and at times I’ve been able to a tie a piece of jewelry or clothing to an old photo from their earlier days (1950s - 90s).
This is what I went through when my Grandmother passed in 2015. As I've mentioned it's been the family home since the 1930's and been handed down each generation. So, yea, a lot of "SHIT" in there. I was tossing christmas cards (100's of them each year) from the late 30's on. Every piece of mail they got from an aunt in California, etc... As frustrating as it was going through reams of useless shit, you had to wonder why they kept it. Well, life was different back then. They couldn't pick up a phone and talk for 30 minutes for pennies like today... They grew up in the depression so they kept everything. When a pair of pants got worn out, they kept it to cut it up to use for patches and other needs. The plastic strawberry baskets... 1,000's of those. Once I got through all that (trying to understand why and what it meant to them), I then got to the china and other really old glasswear. Then wondering if it's actually worth something. A lot of the antique furniture (real antique furniture, not the shit the salt & pepper people claim as antique), I ended up selling to a lady in the city that loved that style furniture. But I still have a ton of stuff and I hate to part with it because of that sentimentality and again... What possessed them to keep it. Is it worth something... Those kind of things.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Unfortunately I know exactly what you speak of.
Bro I asked her about a China cabinet that we were going to repurpose and re finish into a modern day coffee bar..

"you can't have it and it's not getting refinished it's worth alot of money in today's market it's in style"

There is absolutely no way in hell she can get it out of her house let alone for sale and sold

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Why is every fucking boomer like this, I don’t understand. There are almost no exceptions. Easily >95% are packrats with many of them being hoarders. You basically never seen them live minimalist or even normal.

My in laws are major packrats, i wouldn’t quite call them hoarders though. They ride the line. I don’t even bring it up because it triggers them so bad lol. FIL has a jam packed basement, packed garage, packed shed, AND a storage unit full of worthless stuff. It’s nuts. He’s had the storage unit for well over 10 years
Fortunately my mom is in that 5%, but she's also a few months older than the "boomer" years. She is very neat and well organized. Everything is well labeled and anything extraneous (paperwork) has been either thrown out or destroyed. She learned this from her parents, especially her dad, who was meticulous and a served in the Marines for 35+ years, so it trickled into the home. When we had to clean out her parents house it took us two week-long trips. The first was just to set up companies to come in and take donations, and decide what went where. We knew everything couldn't come back with us, and made no attempt to do so. We just brought back the family heirlooms, like items that we knew by appraisal they held value.

The only thing I brought back that was mostly sentimental value was their dining room table and chairs. A friend of theirs made it by hand back in the mid to late 30's, as a wedding gift to them.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
You know what the biggest issue with hoarders is... They do not give up anything for free.

I told my mom I was sending a crew to get the pool table thats in her basement when I got my house. It's had garbage piled on it for 10 years..

"no you're not, I'm going to use it"
I'm half joking if it's not rusted in half and chewed up by mice it's probably a 10K+ car. Maybe more crazy as the market is.

God knows where the title for it is at this point anyways. Unless it's in the glove box you'll almost certainly never find it by the sound of it.

If she passes you'd likely be able to get a duplicate or replacement title at that point.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020

he always said that his dad, my grandfather, had a business back in Colombia in the 20's when the depression hit, the business went under and grandpa had some lean years. My dad was oldest of 10 kids, but was born in 40, so a few years after the depression. So grandpa instilled a "don't throw anything out" mentality out of necessity and that got passed onto him.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
he always said that his dad, my grandfather, had a business back in Colombia in the 20's when the depression hit, the business went under and grandpa had some lean years. My dad was oldest of 10 kids, but was born in 40, so a few years after the depression. So grandpa instilled a "don't throw anything out" mentality out of necessity and that got passed onto him.
There is truth to that. We had a neighbor who's house had a back yard full of nothing but firewood. Neatly stacked 4 foot tall, just rows and rows of it. I assure you he was cold as a child.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
This is my father, nothing gets thrown away because it can be useful at some point in time. Before he was retired, he was working over in the Middle East on US military bases. I would come over to their house and start throwing away shit in the garage that wasn't ever used. It was just in the way. I never understood the mentality of having to move 25 things to get out 1 piece of equipment. The best was I through away an old 18 speed road bike from the 70's that he had. He got it from my uncle who would ride bikes, my Dad never rode for the 15+ years he had it. That was one of the items I threw away and he was PISSED. He said he was planning on using it to which I replied if you were going to use it, you would have done so in the last 15 years. I told him that if it was that big of a deal and he really wanted to ride a bike I would buy him a brand new one. Didn't make a difference, he was pissed I threw away a shitty bike.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Fortunately my mom is in that 5%, but she's also a few months older than the "boomer" years. She is very neat and well organized. Everything is well labeled and anything extraneous (paperwork) has been either thrown out or destroyed. She learned this from her parents, especially her dad, who was meticulous and a served in the Marines for 35+ years, so it trickled into the home. When we had to clean out her parents house it took us two week-long trips. The first was just to set up companies to come in and take donations, and decide what went where. We knew everything couldn't come back with us, and made no attempt to do so. We just brought back the family heirlooms, like items that we knew by appraisal they held value.

The only thing I brought back that was mostly sentimental value was their dining room table and chairs. A friend of theirs made it by hand back in the mid to late 30's, as a wedding gift to them.

Same with my mother, you can take down the handful of family photos and put her townhouse up for sale today.

My father, well he is another story.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
This is my father, nothing gets thrown away because it can be useful at some point in time. Before he was retired, he was working over in the Middle East on US military bases. I would come over to their house and start throwing away shit in the garage that wasn't ever used. It was just in the way. I never understood the mentality of having to move 25 things to get out 1 piece of equipment. The best was I through away an old 18 speed road bike from the 70's that he had. He got it from my uncle who would ride bikes, my Dad never rode for the 15+ years he had it. That was one of the items I threw away and he was PISSED. He said he was planning on using it to which I replied if you were going to use it, you would have done so in the last 15 years. I told him that if it was that big of a deal and he really wanted to ride a bike I would buy him a brand new one. Didn't make a difference, he was pissed I threw away a shitty bike.
My mom went garbage digging for a popcorn popper from 1993 that I threw away.

Maybe it 93 a microwave couldn't pop popcorn, but it was 2005

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Me everytime I watch hoarders and I hear someone say something my mom says
Leonardo Dicaprio Reaction GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
There is truth to that. We had a neighbor who's house had a back yard full of nothing but firewood. Neatly stacked 4 foot tall, just rows and rows of it. I assure you he was cold as a child.
100%

The last 2 years I spent some time organizing and selling off my Hot Wheels collection and my childhood baseball card collection.

After we moved in 2020, after moving all that crap to this house, I realized I hadn't looked at or done anything with the baseball cards in over 15 years, so I got rid of it all for $100.

I took more time to part out the hot wheels and made considerably more $ than on baseball cards, so it was worth my effort.

Next is my childhood star wars toys (plus I used to buy SW stuff and keep it). My kids played with them when they were real little, but now they have been in containers since we moved.

I definitely have inherited the gene, but I'm aware of it and I'm trying to do something about it now so that my kids don't' have to deal with it later. One of my twins has the gene too and I'm trying to get her to not be a hoarder.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
A friend of mine lived in a house which should have been condemned about 15 years ago. It was small, disgusting, and needed everything. They weren't poor. His dad was just very cheap. They ended up moving out when they scored a great deal on a foreclosed mansion, but didn't sell the gross house. He insists that it's appreciating in value more than he pays in taxes and insurance.... Condemned house, busy street, small lot, Chicago burbs. Yeah, ok.

What's super weird about it is that he isn't a hoarder. The house is sitting completely empty.

Reactions: blue-sun

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
My mom went garbage digging for a popcorn popper from 1993 that I threw away.

Maybe it 93 a microwave couldn't pop popcorn, but it was 2005
OMG, My MIL dumpster dived our own garbage we threw out on garbage day when she left our house one day. My wife was mortified that the nieghbors would see her.

Thread Info