Gangs around the NW Suburbs? Elgin, Hanover Park Streamwood

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
I live in downtown Elgin. For the most part, it's perfectly safe. I walk home from the bar at 2 or 3 in the morning often. Have never had an issue or feared for myself.

Gang stuff was a thing when I was young, but i don't think it's really anything to give a second thought to now.
Don't forget that Elgin will sue the gangs in the area as well.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Don't forget that Elgin will sue the gangs in the area as well.

What? You clowning?

I've been in Elgin going on 4 years and other than the local weed dealer I haven't had any problems. On the bright side he gets watched by Elgin PD all the time, all the retirees in my neighborhood call the PD if a tree branch falls the wrong way and I've never heard of a gunfight or violence over someone selling weed. Had one of his thug friends try to act like a badass to me which I laughed off but nothing to even get worked up over but ever since I fixed his kids bike everyone's been cool and I think the kid selling got a job recently. Granted I can hit a golf ball into Streamwood from my driveway (done it!) but my neighborhood is pretty quiet other than the Harley asshole blasting his music and one guy with a cammed T/A (still can't find where he lives, the car is NICE!!) but I don't think loud exhaust is a bad thing. I like Elgin but we stay away from the shitty areas like the stores on Summit Rd and since I either look like the asshole that I am or people think I'm a cop for some reason I get left alone. If the schools in the area were better I'd stay in this town but as it sits I have 10 years to move. There is no way in hell my child will go to middle school or high school in Elgin, the grade school we're assigned to is Hilltop which surprisingly has good ratings and is almost in walking distance.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I lived in the apartments off bode near knollwood. My complex wasnt bad, but it wasnt ON knollwood. Streamwood behind the Aldi on Irving Park is trash. My friend lived in a condo back there and shit always happening. Hanover Park is good, except the TangleWood townhouses near SpringWood Middle school.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
What? You clowning?

I've been in Elgin going on 4 years and other than the local weed dealer I haven't had any problems. On the bright side he gets watched by Elgin PD all the time, all the retirees in my neighborhood call the PD if a tree branch falls the wrong way and I've never heard of a gunfight or violence over someone selling weed. Had one of his thug friends try to act like a badass to me which I laughed off but nothing to even get worked up over but ever since I fixed his kids bike everyone's been cool and I think the kid selling got a job recently. Granted I can hit a golf ball into Streamwood from my driveway (done it!) but my neighborhood is pretty quiet other than the Harley asshole blasting his music and one guy with a cammed T/A (still can't find where he lives, the car is NICE!!) but I don't think loud exhaust is a bad thing. I like Elgin but we stay away from the shitty areas like the stores on Summit Rd and since I either look like the asshole that I am or people think I'm a cop for some reason I get left alone. If the schools in the area were better I'd stay in this town but as it sits I have 10 years to move. There is no way in hell my child will go to middle school or high school in Elgin, the grade school we're assigned to is Hilltop which surprisingly has good ratings and is almost in walking distance.

You never knew that? Seriously, Elgin goes after known gang bangers and sues them to keep off the streets with their activity and some other crap. I'll see if I can search something real quick for you.

Elgin PD works with the Kane County State's Attorney and goes after gang members. Here's just one article:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/elgin-courier-news/news/ct-ecn-kane-sues-elgin-gang-members-st-0323-20160322-story.html

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I lived in the apartments off bode near knollwood. My complex wasnt bad, but it wasnt ON knollwood. Streamwood behind the Aldi on Irving Park is trash. My friend lived in a condo back there and shit always happening. Hanover Park is good, except the TangleWood townhouses near SpringWood Middle school.

Behind Aldi is Hanover Park, were not taking responsibility for that. :bowrofl:

The other area of Hanover that's sketchy is the apartments on the corner of Lake Street and Walnut. At least they used to be....

I think the point is simply there's bad areas in almost every town, and Streamwood, Elgin, and Hanover Park overall aren't as bad as people make them sound.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
... If the schools in the area were better I'd stay in this town but as it sits I have 10 years to move. There is no way in hell my child will go to middle school or high school in Elgin, the grade school we're assigned to is Hilltop which surprisingly has good ratings and is almost in walking distance.

This. Especially after the kid (who lives around the corner from us), got thrown down and beat over at Kenyon Woods a few weeks back, our kids will NOT go to any school in U-46.

When my Son was about to go into Pre-School a couple years back, we attempted to do the public thing here in U-46. My Son ended up in a class that had one Pre-schooler who had to weigh 75 pounds and loved to beat up on other kids, one who took a dump in a corner of the classroom (I'm not talking about in any diaper mind you, I'm talking about dropping trou and dropping a duece over by the bookshelf), and the kid who sat next to him with a "drooling problem", we quickly made the decision to private school him.

We've got about 5 years before private schooling will be up and then we're putting them back in WeGo schools.

Snyper

Mar 12, 2017
Hanover Park
Yess that side is decent more of the crime that occurs in Hanover park happens on the west of Hanover park by the Park district those neighborhoods are full of gang activity. Roselle is very nice too also I like the southern tips of Hanover park near Bartlett.

I have lived in this neighborhood for 20 years and can say there has been no trouble, besides the normal teenager rowdiness. Tanglewood (behind Greenbrook shopping center) that's a different story.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I have lived in this neighborhood for 20 years and can say there has been no trouble, besides the normal teenager rowdiness. Tanglewood (behind Greenbrook shopping center) that's a different story.

I lived in Tanglewood from 95-2000. It wasnt terrible then, but it started getting bad around 99ish. Once I graduated Lake Park we moved.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info