🚘 Automotive Fuel pump access panel, recommendations?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Anybody put something nice over a fuel pump access hole? All of the aluminum ones I’ve seen seem like they’re shit. I’d like something sealed or the potential to be sealed if possible. Found some boat ones that have seals but well….its plastic and for a boat :rofl:
This one is the size I’d need
IMG_0847.jpeg
IMG_0848.jpeg

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Anybody put something nice over a fuel pump access hole? All of the aluminum ones I’ve seen seem like they’re shit. I’d like something sealed or the potential to be sealed if possible. Found some boat ones that have seals but well….its plastic and for a boat :rofl:
This one is the size I’d need
View attachment 198980View attachment 198981
That’s probably your best option, metal ones like that are super expensive, the round ones aren’t terrible but it would be hard to find one big enough that’s round I think

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I'm not sure which vehicle this is for, but I just put some nutserts in the body, welded tabs to the piece I cut out, and drilled bolt holes in the tabs. Since it's in the hatch area of the Camaro, I didn't want anything raised that would lift up the carpet and look stupid.

I figure that factory Volvo trap doors were a lot shittier than what I did, so there's no shame. I don't see the value in sealing a hole that's blocked by the fuel tank either.

Reactions: Turbocharged400sbc

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
What this guy did seems like a good idea, at least its steel and about same price you paid. Also comes in stainless steel if you wanna go fancy. Or utilize the piece you cut out to fab up a door? Add a hinge, rubber gaskets and little latch.

Screenshot_20240304-203213.png

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I'm not sure which vehicle this is for, but I just put some nutserts in the body, welded tabs to the piece I cut out, and drilled bolt holes in the tabs. Since it's in the hatch area of the Camaro, I didn't want anything raised that would lift up the carpet and look stupid.

I figure that factory Volvo trap doors were a lot shittier than what I did, so there's no shame. I don't see the value in sealing a hole that's blocked by the fuel tank either.
Where my pump sits is the edge of the tank and is basically open to the underneath of the car. I can see the fittings from underneath the car looking up

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Bought the boat one, size was good but it kinda sucked so I drew up something that fits between the tank braces. Plan for now is to just squish the raised bits down and sandwich them with the two flanges. I wish SCS could do grooves so I could have done an o ring but I’ll probably just do a small bead of rtv, let it dry and squish it.

IMG_1329.jpeg

Thread Info