For you drag racers out there...do you reference DA a lot?

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Only times I went was at night and it was like mid 80s. DA in the mid 2000s. I'm hoping that when winter shows up it'll drop all the way down. Do the tracks stay open in the Winter here?

Yep.

Tracks up here will close for maybe a month, depending on how bad winter is...and even then, the few days it hits 50 degrees or better, they'll open up for the day.

HellPIG

TCG Elite Member
Sep 13, 2012
Mount Prospect
I feel like I sparked this....

Take the Dodge Demon for example. Guys who are paying 150k for these (not all), want that 9.65 time. 90% will never get it. So far no one has got it. Those runs were done in negative DA. Roots style S/C's also get hit with hot IAT's. More and more "tech" has been created to combat it.

A guy posted on the hellcat group I follow.....he had a mid 9 second challenger before he got his Demon.

Here is his quote:

For those that are wondering about how da effects a car, I ran the day before in around 2700 da a 10.34@135, next day in 700 da 10.002@139. Run in -1500 that's how the demon runs 9.65 plain and simple!! I won't get a chance as Mr. Barth took my car today for some surgery, lol. 8s here we come!! Stay tuned

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
When I see stuff like this I have an appreciation for everything it takes to get the best time out of any particular setup. It reminds me of throwing ice packs on the blowers in between runs, running the cooling fans with the engine off, going to the track on cold days, dynos adjusting for temperature and humidity, etc.

But the other thing posts like this give me an appreciation for is our electric future where none of this matters and your fast car is as fast on a 100 degree day at 10,000 feet of elevation as it is on a 20 degree at sea level.

haters-gonna-hate-13517628.png

95SC

4 cams
TCG Sponsor
Sep 10, 2006
TN
When I see stuff like this I have an appreciation for everything it takes to get the best time out of any particular setup. It reminds me of throwing ice packs on the blowers in between runs, running the cooling fans with the engine off, going to the track on cold days, dynos adjusting for temperature and humidity, etc.

But the other thing posts like this give me an appreciation for is our electric future where none of this matters and your fast car is as fast on a 100 degree day at 10,000 feet of elevation as it is on a 20 degree at sea level.

but my car runs the same if it has a full tank or it has 1 gallon of fuel in the tank while Tesla needs to be above 70% of charge to have max performance . There is a video on youtube when a guy made bunch of passes at 1/4 mile track , he was running a second slower when the battery power dropped below 60%

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

well... and at that 20* at sea level your overall range is greatly reduced...

no one wantsa talk bout dat doe

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
More important than DA is grains of water. The more water there is in the air, the slower the burn rate will be. You can advance timing to pick up some performance that would otherwise be lost. The serious bracket racers always have portable weather stations to help them tune for weather conditions.

doesn't DA include humidity... which is "water in the air"?

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
doesn't DA include humidity... which is "water in the air"?

Yup. Humidity is included in the DA calculation. Humidity affects density altitude a lot less than temperature and barometric pressure do though. If you are going for max effort and consistency, you have to look at all weather inputs separately, rather than just DA. I look at DA calculation as a quick reference.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info