• 🚨 TCG is experiencing a case of the Sundays. Working on a getting things running faster again. - Mook

Find me a car that won't make me want to blow my brains out

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
I have a 125 mile daily commute. I have a 14 Chrysler 300s AWD with the Pentastar V6. I average about 23mpg doing between 75-80. It's a quiet cabin, roomy and with the "S" has more of a sport suspension. If you went with a 12-13 RWD, it likely get to 25mpg on the highway be close to 15k.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
E90 335d?

E91 328i Sportwagon?

EDIT: nevermind on the E90, not a good big dog car. E91 is pretty sweet if you can find a manual though.
5 series is way comfier...but stop and go in a BMW isn't going to get you over 20mpg...even with the 2.5L 5's used are typically cheaper than the 3's.

I WOULD consider older luxury cars if you are buying used. The top shelf materials involved tend to hold up better over time. Just stay away from a lot of the extra techno hooha that tends to break...unless you don't mind keeping up with the maintenance.

E series mercedes...like an e350 are good buys, and typically very reliable if kept up well. AND you can get a diesel in one, or even a wagon.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/d/mercedes-e350-4matic-2014/6661559996.html

Red Alert

Addict
Aug 10, 2012
I’m just over 130 miles per day. Went from my 300C barley pushing 24 mpg’s, bought a civic and was getting 34 mpg’s, but still wasn’t satisfied. Picked up a used TDI off Caravana for a good price. I love this car the more and more every day I drive it... I’m moving between 70-85 mph 5 days a week and I’m getting between 36-40 mpg’s and there’s still more left on the table once you delete the EGR, DPF, and a tune - some guys on the TDI forums are pushing close to and over 50 mpg.

59c3fb96c3f506bd4733a65a3215241c.jpg

d82b49b1fb7e2ecd5ae5c1fa22cb51c7.jpg

dae8c2cfe9f116753bb3e2de499c7778.jpg

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I'm a bit hesitant, as my buddy had more than his fair share of problems with his Jetta Sportwagen. Never any issues with the drivetrain (he had a TDI/manual), but had roof leaks through the sunroof (which are apparently very common), both of his rear coil springs broke (again apparently very common), issues with the infotainment crashing and eating CD's, squeeky/rattly interior. Which scares me a bit...otherwise I wouldn't be thinking twice about jumping into one.

boostedguy05

not well known
TCG Premium
Dec 18, 2010
I had an Expo before my Flex. The Flex gives me nearly as much space as the Expo (lose some storage height). I can just keep the Flex at that point, as it's a proven commodity, reliable, and still has a year or so of warranty left on it. Open road, I can get 24 too, it's just the stop and go that's killing me.

Stop and go will kill you in anything.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I'm married with 4 medium/large dogs and a kid. We use my Focus ST as our family ride. I've had VWs in the past, including a GTI, Jetta turbo, and Sportwagen. While the GTI is absolutely a great car, the ST is a worthy alternative. What I like about the ST is that with a manual and mods (tune), the factory clutch can hold it. With the GTI and a manual, a tune is too much for the factory clutch. I also like the more playful nature of the ST compared to the more mature feel and look of the GTI. But I'd have no problems going back to a GTI at some point in the future since Ford is killing off their cars...

With your commute though, an automatic makes sense, and that is where the GTI with the DSG absolutely shines. If you decide you can tough out a manual, then yes, check out the ST. I avg 30-35 mpg on highway trips, and 25 mpg with city and suburb driving.

The Sportwagen has TONS of room, and a TDI version (or even the turbo 1.8 in the newer Golf Sportwagen) would easily surpass your MPG requirements.

Start test driving a few, and see what you like the best and go from there!

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
And I'm just also meh on the Toreass...although I would still be able to use my winter wheel/tire package...

I really liked the 3.5 Ecoboost motor, but didn't care for the Taurus looks either. I found the 2013+ Lincoln MKS was the same car, with way better looks, loaded with options and cheaper in many cases. The MKS doesn't hold it's value like the SHO, so they are a much better deal.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Our VW was plagued with stupid little shit... Like it went to the dealer three times because the rear seats wouldn't fold down right. The first time they treated my wife like some dumb blonde as the entire dealership tried to show her how to fold them, finally they grabbed a mechanic and he said they were broken.... rinse repeat.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info