Exterior Entry Door Advice

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I am looking to put a new front entry door on my house. My wife wants a “craftsman” style door, so she has a style in mind.

I’m looking for recommendations on brands as there’s a ton of them and it seems the quality differs based on reviews.

It seems like the common point of view is that Provia doors are the best, but pricey.

I was looking at Therma Tru and Feather River as they had the style my wife wanted and are available at Lowe’s and Home Depot. Quality for both seems decent for the price. I was curious if anyone had used either of these brands and what they thought. I’m open to other brands as well.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I spoke with a contractor last week regarding the same thing. He suggested Jeld-Wen or Mastercraft from Menards. Haven't had a chance to look at anything yet. I have to do a storm door as well. Don't have the skills to do it myself though.

The house I'm in is a model for the rest of the neighborhood. It was slapped together by a bunch of drunks, nothing was done correctly. So I know replacing the front doors is going to be opening a can of worms.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
We're doing some now. I have them in the garage at the other house waiting to put them in. They're masonite brand in nighttide (the color). It's a fiberglass unit

Front;

Back;

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I absolutely hate jeld-wen, mastercraft, and pretty much all other big box stores brands. We don't have a HD or lowes local, but there is a Menards. They have weak jambs and I don't think I've ever gotten one of them where every screw isn't stripped.

I typically recommend and sell Pella. Andersen is great as well, but even higher priced.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I absolutely hate jeld-wen, mastercraft, and pretty much all other big box stores brands. We don't have a HD or lowes local, but there is a Menards. They have weak jambs and I don't think I've ever gotten one of them where every screw isn't stripped.

I typically recommend and sell Pella. Andersen is great as well, but even higher priced.
I think the thing about jeld wen is that they have both a really cheap line, and a really expensive well-built line of doors and windows. Menards carries their cheaper stuff. They also make fantastic stuff too

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
I think the thing about jeld wen is that they have both a really cheap line, and a really expensive well-built line of doors and windows. Menards carries their cheaper stuff. They also make fantastic stuff too

That could be. I look at a lot of projects where they hate their windows. 9 times out of 10, they are jeld-wen.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info