• Keep the Escalade

Votes: 7 35.0%

• Total voters

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
The urge to buy a new/newer family truckster grows daily as does the mileage on my 13 year old Escalade and I’m mulling over options for new SUV’s under the $50,000 mark. Nothing out there is really that enticing other than a Durango RT (preferably with tow n go) or an Explorer ST since I want something with at least a little bit of scoot. With current pricing new is pretty much out of the question but 2021-22 used market isn’t out of reach financially as they can be found for under $50k with under 50k miles. I don’t need 3 row seating but I do need the space that 3 rows provides and I don’t care for 2nd row bench seats.
I like the way both vehicles look A LOT!

Explorer ST;
400 hp twin turbo V6
Rear bias AWD
Decent mpg’s for what it is
I really like the way they look especially lowered (which would happen if I get one)
Slightly more 2nd row legroom for my very tall 5 year old (odd that this is very important to me)
Sportier suspension
WILL NOT get a 2020 model as they are riddled with QC and reliability issues
Reliability issues bug me
Plagued with problems and constant recalls, even after they fix the problems with the blue screen reverse cameras they come back
Bad solutions for problems like the one bolt rear differential and water leaks
Exhaust systems breaking at the muffler
Catalytic converters cracking
Fuel delivery problems just from parking on a hill
Leaks, squeaks and rattles due to bad quality control.
BUT it’s faster and gets better mpg’s than a Durango.

Durango RT;
2021 or newer, the restyled dashboard and infotainment center looks awesome
5.7 hemi that’s been around forever
Slightly better mpg’s than my 13 year old Escalade, worse than the Explorer
Less power than my Escalade but faster, slower than the Explorer ST (I’m ok with that)
Tow n Go package gives me everything I need for towing plus Brembo brakes via the SRT and adjustable suspension for sport and regular driving
Growly V8 with a sportier exhaust note (my wife might hate that feature, I love it)
The chances of me modding it are minimal
I like the infotainment system a lot more than Fords system.
The interior is nicer than the Explorer
Tires are cheaper and more available than Fords odd 21” sizing
Theft of these is a HUGE ISSUE but easy work arounds for that via aftermarket goodies and immobilizers and Dodge is updating software for the key fob issue.

12 Escalade Premium
118,600 miles on her
I currently own it and it’s taken me until recently to get it to look and drive the way I want it to albeit quite a harsh ride due to the 22” wheels and aging suspension components
This is the car I brought my son home from the hospital in (slight emotional attachment)
It’s rock solid, in great shape and I wouldn’t question driving it across country tomorrow if I needed to.
I still have some of the aftermarket warranty through Endurance that’s a really good warranty and gives me piece of mind.
13-15 mpg’s around town 18-20 mpg’s highway, getting slightly worse as time goes by regardless of the recent tune up.
It’s a beautiful vehicle (I think)
13 years old, no rust and I have yet to find a nut or bolt that I couldn’t get off since it’s always garaged.
I’m tired of maintaining the black paint but it looks good. “I’m never buying another black car again!!” (me, 3 black cars ago).
Exceptionally low tech which is good and bad. Good because less things to go ape shit, bad because there are some things I’d like to be better like wireless Apple CarPlay (Durango). The Escalade was behind the times when it was new.
Escalade is worth $11-$13k traded in according to KBB, I’ll be lucky to get $11k IMO.

So what would you do? 21 or newer Explorer ST or Durango RT or keep driving the Escalade until the car market settles down?

Caleb515

Addict
Aug 20, 2020
Chicago, IL
Real Name
Caleb
Personally, I’d keep the Escalade.

I’d take $1k-$3k and downsize the wheels, overhaul the suspension and you’ll be set. Also if you haven’t already, add an aftermarket head unit to get Apple CarPlay and more modern tech. Will make it feel like a whole new truck.

I’m all for new vehicles, but don’t see a big enough of a difference to justify a $50k car note when what you have will do 80-90% of the same thing.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Personally, I’d keep the Escalade.

I’d take $1k-$3k and downsize the wheels, overhaul the suspension and you’ll be set. Also if you haven’t already, add an aftermarket head unit to get Apple CarPlay and more modern tech. Will make it feel like a whole new truck.

I’m all for new vehicles, but don’t see a big enough of a difference to justify a $50k car note when what you have will do 80-90% of the same thing.
I’ve had a Pioneer HU in it almost the entire time I’ve owned it with all the fun tech, easily my best and favorite mod. Supports CarPlay and Android auto, DVD playback for front and rear and satellite radio and it even will read engine codes and gauges.
My suspension refresh will be quite costly and require all new control arms, bushings, ball joints etc and it’s all work I can’t do anymore due to my back injury. Shocks/struts were replaced at 60k and still good (I think?)

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Durango will get stolen
That depends on Dodge’s security updates working or not relying on them and/or getting an IGLA security system with a PIN code alarm/immobilizer. I have a tendency of not relying heavily on factory false security systems, I never have trusted them and I never will. No matter what I get it’s getting an upgraded security system just like all my other vehicles.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
We leased a 18’ Durango v6 gt plus package, wife loved it as she drove it more, as a suv it felt nimble for its size, we liked the 7 seating option, and with the rear seat up we still had a good amount of storage. Fit and finish was more than expected out of dodge. We leased it as I didn’t trust dodge product at the time lol. Might pick another one when the lease is up on the Honda passport.

in the 3 years we had it I had one warranty claim and it was for a muffler / tail pipe that was bent from the carrier, had one turn signal light bulb burn out, I took care of that myself, and nothing else besides oil changes and tire rotates.

Only issue was The infotainment unit at times would freeze up which kinda sucked but it was very hit or miss, but that’s technology for you.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
The more I look into it the more I’m leaning towards the Dodge. 21+ with tow n go would be nice but probably unobtainable financially unless I find a steal on the currently dry used car market. It seems like after 2018 the water pump and transmission issues got cleared up, 2019 the infotainment glitches were fixed and now the “big problem” is manifold bolt heads popping off and weak brakes (easy fix) on the RT’s. I can see weak brakes being a big issue but I’ve driven 20+ ton trucks for decades so I’m not a late brake person and I can’t remember owning a car where I didn’t upgrade pads and rotors within a year of ownership. The 5.7 hemi has been around forever and has significantly less problems than Fords twin turbo eco boost and the Explorer ST reliability issues make me nervous.

Reactions: frank

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
I've been casually eyeing the Explorer STs also, and have the same concerns about them having recurring issues.
I was casually eyeing Lincoln Aviators until I saw multiple videos of close sunroofs in the rain leaking buckets of water through the sunroof controls/overhead light bezel and others of water streaming in from the top corners of the windshield from driving in rain. One video showed the guy filming the water literally pouring in and he had a touch over 600 miles on the car. Add in the “fish pond” ST’s where the spare tire is from water leaks in the quarter windows and plugged/pinched sunroof drain tubes (I think that was earlier models though.

Short of GM reviving the Trailblazer SS I’m pretty sure anything GM is off the books. I don’t want a truck and don’t need a full size SUV anymore. Even the Durango is pushing it for size and it’s only a few inches shorter than the Escalade.

Thread Info