• 🚨 TCG is experiencing a case of the Sundays. Working on a getting things running faster again. - Mook

EPA Orders Volkswagen To Recall 482,000 Diesel Cars For Cheating On Emissions

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Yes, it’s a catastrophe. There’s no other way to describe the allegations from the Environmental Protection Agency that Volkswagen cheated on their emissions tests with nearly half a million TDI diesel cars. What’s at stake here? Potentially billions in fines, criminal prosecutions, VW’s reputation, and maybe even the future of diesel in the U.S.

On Friday the EPA said VW found a way to circumvent emissions requirements during testing with a “defeat device” that lets the TDI cars detect when they are being tested and then emit far less than normal.

When the device is not working, and the cars are operating in regular driving, they emit 10 to 40 times more than the allowable legal levels of certain pollutants.

Make no mistake that this scandal is a huge deal. If the EPA’s allegations are true, VW knowingly broke the law with some of their most important products and could face severe financial and criminal penalties. And even in an era of recall after recall, Automotive News puts this well: “Compared with other run-ins between the EPA and automakers, VW’s alleged violation stands out in its brazenness.”

More than that, this could be a landmark moment for emissions enforcement the same way the General Motors ignition switch crisis and its aftermath was for safety. And it’s already sent VW’s stock prices tumbling.

No cars have been officially recalled yet, but with 482,000 TDI cars affected, that seems all but certain at some point.

Here’s what we know so far.

What cars are affected by this?

The cars are 2009 to 2015 TDI Volkswagen Golf, Jetta, Passat, Beetle and Audi A3s. All are powered by the company’s 2.0-liter turbodiesel four-cylinder engines. There are other diesels engines in the greater VW stable, but those aren’t affected here as far as we know. I’ll explain why that is in a bit.

Has there been a recall yet?

Despite earlier news reports to the contrary, there has been no recall of the cars quite yet. The EPA’s announcement on Friday did not include a recall order, though that will almost certainly happen at some point. Both the government and VW are investigating how to fix the problem.

Was there a stop-sale order?

Yes. Dealers have been told by VW not to sell whatever remaining 2015 TDI cars are on lots. The EPA will also not grant VW a “certificate of conformity” for the 2016 cars, so they cannot be sold either.

How did this alleged cheat work exactly?

First, we need to start by talking about urea.

In order to meet tougher emissions regulations that went into effect in 2008, most automakers started supplying their diesel cars with tanks of a urea-based solution (often referred to as “AdBlue”) that cuts down on nitrous-oxide emissions.

Your Guide To Dieselgate: Volkswagen's Diesel Cheating Catastrophe

Many larger diesel engines on big sedans and SUV, including some from Audi as well as competitors at BMW and Mercedes, use such a system. But VW and Audi said their 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine was able to meet the requirements without a urea injection system — although many people have wondered exactly how. (Update: Just to clarify, newer TDI models like the MK7 Golf, made from 2015 on, do include urea injection.)

On Friday, the EPA announced they found the TDI cars contained “a sophisticated software algorithm” which detected when the car was being tested for emissions. When that happens, the software drastically reduces the emissions as compared to normal driving, indicating to testers that the car had passed.

Basically, it’s like taking a test when you already know what the answers are. It appears the cheat device was present on all TDI cars, not just ones sent for emissions testing.

Do other automakers do this?

No one knows. That’s part of what the EPA is investigating. The lab that tested the VWs also tested a diesel BMW X5, which passed.

Why did VW do this?

That’s another thing that isn’t clear at the moment. In the U.S., diesel cars tend to be more expensive than gasoline simply for the extra hardware it takes to make them run cleanly, like the aforementioned AdBlue systems. VW may have done this to keep the costs of diesel Golfs and Jettas down for themselves and for the consumers.

It’s also possible that restricting emissions in a way that complied with the law would have reduced the power and fuel economy that the TDI engines are known for. Here’s Green Car Reports speculating on what a possible fix could do to the cars:

... if VW is able to develop a fix and get it approved, the performance and fuel efficiency of their cars might fall. That’s more likely if the fix is only a software update, which would be far cheaper for Volkswagen.

If VW ends up having to make software changes and retrofit an entire SCR system to the cars (other than the Passat TDI)—something that would likely cost it thousands of dollars per car—performance would likely be unchanged, but interior volume might be reduced to accommodate a liquid-urea tank and associated plumbing.

What penalties could VW face?

We’re talking about a maximum possible fine of $37,500 per vehicle, which could add up to as much as $18 billion for Volkswagen and Audi. That’s astronomical even for what is now the world’s biggest automaker, but then again, this appears to be a staggering violation of the law.

In addition, the EPA is working with the U.S. Department of Justice on the case, so criminal charges could arise from the situation too. And with a self-professed renewed focus on white-collar crime, VW could be the target the Justice Department is looking for right now.

How did the EPA find out?

Independent testing, and amazingly, testing that sought to prove VW’s diesels were really clean.

Bloomberg has a good recap of how this went down: A relatively small clean-air NGO, the International Council on Clean Transportation, noticed discrepancies between tests of diesel Volkswagens in Europe, so they borrowed equipment from West Virginia University to test the cars’ actual emissions in real-world driving in the U.S.

Rather than trying to cast doubts on Volkswagen, they’d hoped to prove that small diesels like the cars VW made could run cleanly. As they told Bloomberg:

“We had no cause for suspicion,” German, U.S. co-lead of the International Council on Clean Transportation, said in an interview. “We thought the vehicles would be clean.”

While the VWs passed the lab tests performed by the California Air Resources Board, they failed the real-world tests, which measured tailpipe emissions.

Bloomberg reports VW engineers struggled to explain these results to the EPA and CARB after an investigation began. Regulators weren’t satisfied with that explanation, so they threatened to withhold certifications and effectively halt sales.

Only then did VW concede the cars had a cheat device. The EPA didn’t know about this before because they depend on automakers to self-certify their cars.

What was this about a recall last year?

During the course of the EPA and CARB investigations, VW agreed to a voluntary recall of nearly 500,000 TDI cars last December to implement a software patch they claimed would fix the issue. CARB reports that while this patch did reduce emissions somewhat, nitrogen oxides were still “significantly higher than expected.” Which brings us to our next point...

What pollutants are we talking about?

Specifically, nitrogen oxides, or NOx. They contribute to smog, particulate matter and a wide range of health problems for certain people, which is why they’re so heavily regulated in emissions. Via the EPA:

NOx pollution contributes to nitrogen dioxide, ground-level ozone, and fine particulate matter. Exposure to these pollutants has been linked with a range of serious health effects, including increased asthma attacks and other respiratory illnesses that can be serious enough to send people to the hospital. Exposure to ozone and particulate matter have also been associated with premature death due to respiratory-related or cardiovascular-related effects. Children, the elderly, and people with pre-existing respiratory disease are particularly at risk for health effects of these pollutants.

I thought these were good cars, what happened?

They are good cars, actually. The TDI cars have long been gems in the VW and Audi lineups. They provide good power, great fuel economy and loads of torque that happen to make them pretty fun to drive. I was thoroughly impressed by the 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI I tested earlier this year.

They’re just not as clean as they were billed, and now they represent a bunch of huge, costly headaches for VW.

Besides the fines and prosecutions, why is this a big deal for Volkswagen?

It’s not an exaggeration to say VW has staked quite a bit of their U.S. reputation, brand identity and sales future on their so-called “Clean Diesel” engines. Now that we’re finding out they’re not so clean, it’s a massive blow to the company and its brand.

As their competitors at Honda and Toyota moved into the hybrid realm, Volkswagen spent years trying to convince consumers that their diesel engines were clean, powerful, fuel-sipping better alternatives. They spent millions on ad campaigns — some of which have now been scrubbed from the Internet — trying to rehabilitate the tarnished image of diesels in the U.S.

It’s the same story at Audi, too. They’ve spent a ton of time and energy playing up their TDI engines, even inviting journalists (including ones from this publication) to test them in hypermiling TDI challenges.

At Volkswagen in the U.S., diesels account for 20 to 25 percent of their sales, and now they can’t even move the newest ones off dealer lots. The company has struggled with the U.S. market over the past decade with a reputation for poor reliability and a lineup that lacked many of the products Americans typically go for, like trucks and large crossovers. The growing diesel sales represented a small but shining ray of hope for them.

There’s also the issue of public outrage. Besides the fact that this is one more egregious example of automakers skirting the rules, you have hundreds of thousands of TDI owners who were sold a false bill of goods. Enthusiasts love the TDI engines for their efficiency and torque, but plenty more buyers opted in thinking they were driving clean, environmentally-friendly cars.

It turns out that’s not the case, and the result will likely be buyback demands, class action lawsuits, concerns over resale value and much more.

What does this mean for diesel in the U.S.?

It’s really, really bad.

Since the days of soot-blasting Mercedes-Benzes and horrendous Oldsmobiles, diesel has struggled with widespread adoption on passenger cars in America. While a relatively small number of buyers swear by diesels, they’ve never really hit mainstream success in this country thanks to everything from fewer filling stations to higher fuel prices and environmental concerns. The VW Clean Diesels were supposed to change the latter.

But as emissions standards get tougher and tougher here and in Europe, the diesel’s future looks increasingly dismal. European cities are increasingly cracking down on sources of poor air quality, diesel cars and buses in particular. Many industry watchers wonder if the fuel has had its day. The French government has said they’d like to eventually phase diesel out.

And here in the U.S., if a particularly ambitious, environmentally-minded lawmaker wanted to move to outlaw diesel passenger cars, VW has just given them the perfect amount of ammunition to do it.

I own one of these cars! What should I do?

Right now, nothing. If a recall gets issued it will almost certainly be news, and like all recalls owners will get a notice in the mail to get their cars fixed. For now, drive your car like you would normally.

Or you could sell it and buy a Prius. But then you’d have to own a Prius.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Personally I hate the EPA and some of the things they try to institute. Things that would cost the consumer a lot of money that average people do not have. I actually applaude VW for this, they are doing nothing different than everyone here on this forum that passes emissions with large heads cammed cars without cats but no check engine lights. It sucks they got caught. If the EPA wasnt around we would have vehicles that reached 60-80 mpg already. The VW polo diesel in Europe got 60-80 mpg on top gear. I bet it would struggle to get 48 here in the states.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Personally I hate the EPA and some of the things they try to institute. Things that would cost the consumer a lot of money that average people do not have. I actually applaude VW for this, they are doing nothing different than everyone here on this forum that passes emissions with large heads cammed cars without cats but no check engine lights. It sucks they got caught. If the EPA wasnt around we would have vehicles that reached 60-80 mpg already. The VW polo diesel in Europe got 60-80 mpg on top gear. I bet it would struggle to get 48 here in the states.

There's a HUGE difference between a couple hundred people on a forum, and half a million cars...not sayin, but just sayin

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
There's a HUGE difference between a couple hundred people on a forum, and half a million cars...not sayin, but just sayin

I am sure there are more than just a couple hundred of us throughout all of the U.S. doing this type of stuff. Whether where they live has EPA emissions or not. My car registered in Alabama or Chicago would produce the same emissions. (Thats why I said all of the U.S.)

I just feel the EPA oversteps themselves sometimes, and then when they screw up like the river thing. They do not seem very upset or pissed about that. But when its someone else, the whole Fu***** world stops and comes to an end and beheading proceedings start./

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
They should have gotten around the clean air act requirements the same way everyone else does: remind the EPA how many Americans VW employs and get local government on your side, say you'll consider moving future production to the US, and pay someone off for an exemption. Instead they came up with an ingenious system to cheat

Too smart for their own good

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I am sure there are more than just a couple hundred of us throughout all of the U.S. doing this type of stuff. Whether where they live has EPA emissions or not. My car registered in Alabama or Chicago would produce the same emissions. (Thats why I said all of the U.S.)

I just feel the EPA oversteps themselves sometimes, and then when they screw up like the river thing. They do not seem very upset or pissed about that. But when its someone else, the whole Fu***** world stops and comes to an end and beheading proceedings start./

Should the EPA just lay down every time breaks a law then? "Oh it's cool guys, just get em next time!"

This isn't just a software glitch causing increased emissions, this is a blatant and intentional circumventing of emission controls. VW got caught red handed...the EPA has no choice but to throw the book at them

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Should the EPA just lay down every time breaks a law then? "Oh it's cool guys, just get em next time!"

This isn't just a software glitch causing increased emissions, this is a blatant and intentional circumventing of emission controls. VW got caught red handed...the EPA has no choice but to throw the book at them

I guess I just feel bad for VW wish they didn't get caught. I just have bad feelings towards the EPA and its my own personal beliefs. I am all for saving the enviornment and Bambie, but I don't want the EPA to overstep their bounds.

If someone told me I could get 65MPG in the cruze by changing software or removing something the EPA placed on my car, you better believe I would do it. Basically thats what VW did lol only with the brains of computer wizards behind a Giant car company..

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I guess I just feel bad for VW wish they didn't get caught. I just have bad feelings towards the EPA and its my own personal beliefs. I am all for saving the enviornment and Bambie, but I don't want the EPA to overstep their bounds.

The EPA does overstep its bounds, on occasion, but in this instance, I think they are well within their bounds and rights to go after VW. I also have zero sympathy for VW in this instance. This was a business decision to save them money...instead of installing complicated and expensive urea injection systems to make their cars compliant, they wrote a software program to make it seem like they were cleaner than they were during testing. Who knows how much money they saved/made from doing this, but I bet it's not insignificant.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I'm more interested in seeing how they are going to solve this issue on the customer end.
patch the software to meet regulations, then cut the power and fuel economy in half? i dont think that's going to go over too well on the customer end.

The big questions will be, if it's just a software change, how long will the emissions systems currently installed on the car last? How much will mileage decrease? How much will power decrease?

If the system was designed to only be used for 1% of driving, that puts a TON of extra stress on those emissions systems...

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
It could ultimately result in VW buying the cars back. I assume a good lawyer could say it was false advertising if the customers cars performance or MPG changed after this potential recall. I doubt it would ever get to the point of needing a lawyer though.

I kind of thought about the buy-back route...don't know how they would/could do it...do they prorate your vehicle depending on year and mileage? I can't imagine they'd be able to give you back full purchase price? Would only original owners be eligible for full buy-back, or would anyone who currently owns be eligible?

It'll definitely be interesting to see how this plays out....

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I kind of thought about the buy-back route...don't know how they would/could do it...do they prorate your vehicle depending on year and mileage? I can't imagine they'd be able to give you back full purchase price? Would only original owners be eligible for full buy-back, or would anyone who currently owns be eligible?

It'll definitely be interesting to see how this plays out....

I would assume the first option would be to put the customer in a new VW at a discounted price along with the portion of their buy back going towards the new vehicle. That would be the cheapest option for VW as well as keeping the customer in one of their vehicles.

The option I am sure a lot of people would take would be a prorated amount on their car in cash, along with some incentive dollars on top of that. So if NADA value is 17k on a 20k new car. VW would settle with giving the customer 18.5k or 19k as an example to keep the customer happy and out of court.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)

The EPA is a double edged sword; if you look at a lot of the good things in terms of engines and powertrains, CARB and CAFE basically forced their implementation. Stuff like EFI, electronic ignitions, OD transmissions and tons of other stuff that doesn't cross my mind. We'd all be driving 4jet equipped 2 speed cars if the auto makers had their way, they're cheap to make.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Based on that article it looks like VW's that used DEF (adblue) may not be part of the recall...did I read that correctly ?

I thought all 2015's do. I know mine does

My Passat TDi doesnt have an adblue deal anywhere that I've ever seen. I'll be PO'd as an owner of one of these things if the EPA forces a flash that effectively de-powers the car and makes it get shitty mpg.

Devalues the car big time. inb4classactionlawsuit from all VW owners AFTER the EPA is done with them.

I'd settle for a new Lambo as a consolation prize!

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
My Passat TDi doesnt have an adblue deal anywhere that I've ever seen. I'll be PO'd as an owner of one of these things if the EPA forces a flash that effectively de-powers the car and makes it get shitty mpg.

Devalues the car big time. inb4classactionlawsuit from all VW owners AFTER the EPA is done with them.

I'd settle for a new Lambo as a consolation prize!

maybe they changed it recently, but I thought the adblue is in the trunk behind a panel to the left? [MENTION=12]Bru[/MENTION]

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Correct. Passat uses AdBlue and it's in the pass side trunk compartment. VW says it should last about 10,000 miles. The car will let you know when it's low. Used to be free for the duration of the basic warranty; not sure if that's still the case.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info