⚡ EV F150 Lightning debuts in 2022

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
If they could swap out all the V2 stations with all the new V3 ones that charge at 250 kws it’s stupid fast and I think would really help. When I pull into a V3 station it’s freaking blazin. I’m talking like plug in go to the bathroom, grab a soda and the car is already to 60% or more. It’s just nuts

I was more talking about charging technology that mirrors a gas pump. For example, going from 50 miles of range to 300 in 5-10 minutes. Does V3 achieve that?

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
It could of been, I don't remember who it was. I think round trip if I remember correctly was over five hours of charging time. You're talking 4+ hours longer on a round trip than it would have taken to fill up with gas.

Thats crazy!

Now, if charging can be as fast as buying a snack and coming back out.....then the range limits don't necessarily have as big of an impact. Then its comparable to ICE cars....some cars go 200 on a tank, some go 600+....overall its not a big deal either way because you can fill up in a few minutes.

It’s improved drastically in just these 2-3 years. My charge time would be half that now in my Y. Prob 1-1/2 total charge time each way. So New York and back 3 hours total charging.

Again it’s like omg 3 hours! On paper… but when the drive alone is 12-13 hours 1 way it’s. Not that bad. Charge for 15 mins pee, then blast another 200 miles. Charge 15 mins…. Soda… blast another 200 miles etc.

Honestly I really enjoyed it. Breaks up the trip nicely. At least for me. Again it’s all opinion. If you have never done it, I suggest trying it once before you knock it like it’s getting teeth pulled

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota

Ford’s new F-150 Lightning is off to an electrifying start as the company confirmed it received over 44,500 reservations in less than 48 hours. Now, with such strong demand, Automotive News reports Ford will limit production for the first year.

While limiting production for an exciting new truck doesn’t make sense at first, this ensures the company can safely deliver on its promise and fulfill orders. Ford is only asking $100 for reservations in any trim level, for what it’s worth, but the high numbers are still impressive.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock

Ford’s new F-150 Lightning is off to an electrifying start as the company confirmed it received over 44,500 reservations in less than 48 hours. Now, with such strong demand, Automotive News reports Ford will limit production for the first year.

While limiting production for an exciting new truck doesn’t make sense at first, this ensures the company can safely deliver on its promise and fulfill orders. Ford is only asking $100 for reservations in any trim level, for what it’s worth, but the high numbers are still impressive.
Later in the article
Last November, two days after unveiling the Cybertruck, CEO Elon Musk tweeted that the company had taken 146,000 reservations for its unique take on an electric truck.

crazy to think that so many people hate the look of the cybertruck but they got over 3x the amount of reservations in the same time period

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I can almost promise that Elon won’t let that happen. They just sent out a message to reservation holders about expecting production in 2021. I doubt Ford will be early on their spring 2022 timeline.

like even if they have to cheat and hand build a few trucks to deliver to people I think the cybertruck will beat the Ford to market

• Haha
Reactions: Rent Free

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
After doing a ton more research I’m actually going to be curious what this and other competitors will be like towing.

I just had the tow hitch installed on my Y. It can tow 3500 lbs. but I’ll only be using it for the occasional moving around of a small trailer and atv. Maybe 1200 lbs total? However from things I’ve seen online if you really load these things down… the X or the Y or whatever to the max of their capacity. Range basically disappears all together. For example my car can get 300 miles to a full battery just cruising at speed limit. However add 3500-4000 lbs of weight behind it and real people testing showed they only got about 100 miles out of the car. That’s a massive drop.

Again not that my car or what’s currently on the market was really designed for longer towing, but since this will be a truck. I’m curious how their performance testing has gone. So this truck claims it can go 300 miles….. well when you load it down with 8000 lbs I’m guessing it will get like 70 miles of range.

Reactions: Rent Free

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Again, I’m just speculating but Tesla is widely regarded as the most efficient EV. Both design and aero wise. So if current cars are experiencing this level of range drop, what would the Ford experience and how would they counter it? Especially since they do not have a big enough battery in my opinion

Which is why I think you see Tesla throwing around range numbers like 500-600 miles on the cyber truck. They already know it will take a hit. So if it gets 300 miles towing at capacity that’s not too bad.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
I’ll tell you this, while I’m charging it’s a pretty nice break from driving. My Go-To is to throw an episode of a TV show on Netflix in the main screen and the time just flys by. Pro Tip: 1 episode of chapelles show without commercials is just over 200 miles of range on a V3 charger

Recharge in 5 mins or less, that’s what the average driver is accustomed to and minimizes wait times for other drivers to recharge.

The scenario you are illustrating is long road trips.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Recharge in 5 mins or less, that’s what the average driver is accustomed to and minimizes wait times for other drivers to recharge.

The scenario you are illustrating is long road trips.
Yes it is. Which is of course the type of driving done the least. For the other 99.9% of driving you’re leaving your house with a full “tank”. Which is a concept that people without an EV fail to grasp. They all think about that once a week trip to the gas station coming home from work and think how shitty it’d be to have to wait there 20-30 minutes. But you literally never have to do that with an EV.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Yes it is. Which is of course the type of driving done the least. For the other 99.9% of driving you’re leaving your house with a full “tank”. Which is a concept that people without an EV fail to grasp. They all think about that once a week trip to the gas station coming home from work and think how shitty it’d be to have to wait there 20-30 minutes. But you literally never have to do that with an EV.

You are considering the average driver has an easy means to charge, remembers to charge or in some case even unplug before driving away, commutes shorter distances, doesn’t need to drive after work, doesn’t have regular longer trips on the weekend and the list goes on.

Build the infrastructure to support EV, then build the vehicles.

The cart is before the horse for the product to be consumable for the masses.

The Mach E and Lightning is Ford looking to establish market share for the future, especially from a technology company perspective. Recouping R&D and making a profit on these two vehicles is icing on the cake.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
You are considering the average driver has an easy means to charge, remembers to charge or in some case even unplug before driving away, commutes shorter distances, doesn’t need to drive after work, doesn’t have regular longer trips on the weekend and the list goes on.

Build the infrastructure to support EV, then build the vehicles.

The cart is before the horse for the product to be consumable for the masses.

The Mach E and Lightning is Ford looking to establish market share for the future, especially from a technology company perspective. Recouping R&D and making a profit on these two vehicles is icing on the cake.

the same person that runs out of gas while driving is the same person thatll forget to charge. You’re never going to fix everybody’s stupidity.
also you can’t drive an EV without unplugging. And you can still drive around and run errands after work with 300 miles of range.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
the same person that runs out of gas while driving is the same person thatll forget to charge. You’re never going to fix everybody’s stupidity.
also you can’t drive an EV without unplugging. And you can still drive around and run errands after work with 300 miles of range.

Less likely to run out of gas than remember to recharge every couple days (at best).

300 miles during the right conditions and you are taking a shorter commute to work into account.

No thanks...

Build the infrastructures first, along with quick charge times (equivalent to time at the gas pump).

Govt has a $2 trillion infrastructure bill, yet only $174b is proposed towards EV subsidiaries, charge stations and other EV support.

That’s not even 10%. Interesting

justbob

Just a grandpa car with a vacuum leak.
Jan 23, 2010
Behind that famous burrito joint
Real Name
Bob
I’d rather keep my paid off 178,000 mile rusty trusty ‘04 Lariat any day over a being at one with nature Lightning. (who comes up with this silly shit???)

It’s not that I hate new tech but I just have absolutely zero urge or even a tiny bit of curiosity at venturing into it. Never once.

Hell I have a hard enough time plugging in my battery tender 3-4 times a year! I’m all about get in and go. And I kinda like my cold start diesel sounding phasers, rusty leaking exhaust and driveline clunks. It’s called character! [emoji6]

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info