Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Works Fine as an Airport Shuttle

ximm

July 2, 2015

Well, we said we were going to use our 2015 Dodge Viper GT like any other car, so why not toss a carry-on in back for an airport run? The bag fit easily, unlike the overhead compartment of the 767 that flew me back from Detroit. And there was room to spare in the Viper, so I didn't even have to jam it in there.

So our Viper can handle a little cargo when necessary, which is good. No one expects a car like this to be easy to live with, but this Viper is more accommodating than you might think.

And then there's the fun part, of course. Nothing like clearing out the cobwebs after a four-hour flight with a burst from a 645-hp V10. Not a huge burst though, as it's still not fully broken in. But even a small punch of the throttle in this car is enough to rattle your head.

Two early impressions: the seats are great - if you sit up very straight. Slouch and they feel uncomfortable. I can live with that. And the shifter is better than I remember from previous Viper gearboxes. This one feels heavy and notchy, just the way I like it. Looking forward to racking up more miles in this one soon.

Ed Hellwig, Executive Editor @ 621 miles

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
On the Track, On the Road, It Should Scare You

2015_dodge_viper_actf34_lt_622153_600.jpg

July 3, 2015

It was one of those Friday nights. Out for a few drinks and a meal with some co-workers, then an urgent text arrives from my boss. The subject had me dropping cash on the table and grabbing an Uber home as if all of humanity's life depended on it.

The message and ensuing phone call basically said, "I'm sick as a dog and can't make it to the track tomorrow to drive Vipers. Do you want to go?"

There's only one answer.

That answer is, "Yes, thank you."

I battled through thick early morning fog and arrived to a rain-soaked Buttonwillow Raceway. It was a Viper club event and I was a guest of Dodge. Part of the deal was that I'd sit through the beginner school and be placed in that run group on track, and that certainly didn't bother me. Regardless of how much track experience you may have, I still contend that there's something to be learned. Plus, the first sessions were a little treacherous as the surface was still quite damp.

After the first 20-minute session on track, the instructor assigned to me immediately bumped me up into a more advanced run group. As an added bonus, I shared my Viper TA with former racer, broadcaster and hall of famer Tommy Kendall. I'll go ahead and assume he's faster than me.

In every event I've ever driven at Buttonwillow, the track layout included the Bus Stop section at the South end of the track. This right-left-left-right section keeps speeds reasonable heading into the big Riverside turn (if you're running clockwise). For this event, we bypassed the Bus Stop and had a mostly unimpeded run-up into Riverside, despite some instructors cautioning against it.

This wasn't the first time I had been on a racetrack in a Viper, but the amount of respect and restraint you need to show never goes away. It's raw, with an ungodly amount of power and it should scare you. This latest Viper is a bit easier to drive, but I contend it's one of the more difficult to find its limits without endangering yourself. On a track like Buttonwillow, I only went wide-open throttle in a couple of spots. In that state, the Viper covers a lot of ground.

It really does feel like a racecar adapted for the street, not the other way around. I discovered at this event that we would soon get our long-term 2015 Dodge Viper and I was obviously happy about that. I was also cautious, however, as this car is punishing on L.A. roads, has a tiny trunk, is very loud, is difficult to get in and out of, and may present space issues for taller drivers.

I get the distinct impression that I'll be signing out our long-termer more than my more reasonable colleagues, and I'm just fine with that.

Mark Takahashi, Automotive Editor @ 102 Miles

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info