Do you care about the color of what you drive?

Does car color effect your purchasing choice?

• Yes

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Yes but probably wouldn't keep me from buying THE car I wanted

Votes: 22 38.6%

• Total voters

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
For exterior I'm not too picky. I too don't think I'd do black again but a silver is good. White is also good. One thing I'm noticing on a lot of new cars is that dark colors really hide body lines. The 2011+ Msport 5 series in a dark color looks way different than say a white one. The white one looks better because you see the car's lines.

Other than that, no light interiors. It's black or two tone there. A creme or gray interior is a deal breaker for me.

I forgot to even bring that up.

I have no problem with light/tan interiors on Cheap/Used cars, but anything with a payment on it, I couldn't deal with not being Black or Two Tone.

Greys don't bother me as much as Creme/Tan's.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
While it depends on the car, there are definitely certain "void" colors in my mind. I tend to stay away from loud, attention grabbing colors preferring a more subdued look. "cop magnet red" is out on virtually all cars I would consider. In most cases it wouldn't be a deal breaker especially if the vehicle is hard to find. I also lean towards the body man's philosophy of "darker colors for cars with lines."

That being said, it would certainly win points in an apples to apples comparison. Dark Carmine T-types come to mind for instance.

86webpic2crop.jpg

Or perhaps a green like on 70s Pontiacs.

681532470362448676.jpg

Or lastly, silver. I have a total love-hate relationship with the color, but man it looks good on a lot of stuff and has a high versatility. The problem is that it's overall one of the most lacking colors in terms of paint durability.

GLIGTO

Coyote Nut Swinger
Jun 3, 2012
Desantis-Land
I'm extremely particular on a lot of aspects of the cars I buy so I have to have some level of flexibility in the color. BUT there are certain colors that would be a total deal breaker (like yellow). Like the OP the vast majority of my cars end up being black but I'd love, love to have something dark blue. In fact the only thing that would make me love my Mustang even more is if it were Deep Impact Blue :drool:

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I've gone through the exercise before that "I would never own a XXXXX colored car..." and failed. Personally there are a few colors that are on the permanent no-go list...and a list of colors that are preferred no list, but wouldn't stop me from buying something....

Yellow, pink, and purple (sorry [MENTION=344]Gav'sPurpleZ[/MENTION] ) would probably be on my list of cars that I couldn't buy, no matter the price

Black, bright blue, bright green are on the list of cars that I'd prefer not...but wouldn't stop me if the price was right

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I've gone through the exercise before that "I would never own a XXXXX colored car..." and failed. Personally there are a few colors that are on the permanent no-go list...and a list of colors that are preferred no list, but wouldn't stop me from buying something....

Yellow, pink, and purple (sorry [MENTION=344]Gav'sPurpleZ[/MENTION] ) would probably be on my list of cars that I couldn't buy, no matter the price

Black, bright blue, bright green are on the list of cars that I'd prefer not...but wouldn't stop me if the price was right

panther pink hemi cuda with a pistol grip 4 speed.
i would have a difficult time turning this one down

No black.

my wrangler was black... easy to polish and wax because of the lack of big body panels.

When I was looking for my truck, I wanted storm gray.
in 09 Nissan stopped production on the Frontier and titan due to gas prices and the economy.

i wanted a 6spd, 6 cyl 4x4...i found it in Hazelwood MO, but of course, BLACK.

I will do my best to never buy black again :hs:

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
No tan or light colored interior, nope, never fucking ever.

Exterior color depends on the car. I would never buy my car in red because it looks terrible but a red Ferrari is tits. Also a lot of pearl reds and blues have a tinted clear coat so you can not touch them up or buff a scratch. The heat from the buffer will change the color of the paint and I found that out on accident. You can never go wrong with white black or grey!

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
I'm on the fence on this one, I voted yes because there are certain colors I absolutely can't stand such as yellow. I actually had a maco paint job on a 76 cutlas to get ride of it being yellow.

I'm generally open to most colors, I prefer blue but alot of cars don't look good blue. I've had a lot of black cars and while they look incredibly sexy clean it's way to much work for my lazy ass. My DD is black, the bike is black currently (been thinking of painting if after the Nova is done).

In short I'm ok with what color makes the car look good, for instance I can't see myself owning a purple car, but I would jump at the chance of a 70 hemi cuda in plum crazy purple all day long.

Thread Info