Do Mustangs Kill People, or do People Kill People

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
Self driving Mustang anyone?

https://jalopnik.com/self-driving-1965-ford-mustang-plans-attack-on-goodwood-1827485896

Ah, the myriad joys of a vintage car: the feel of the wheel wriggling in your hands, the sound of the engine as you blip the throttle. Now Siemens is looking to remove all of that with a self-driving 1965 Ford Mustang that it plans to run up the famous Goodwood Hillclimb this year.

The project is actually a partnership between Siemens and Cranfield University, as the Evening Express reports, outfitting the classic with a “full suite of sensors and control algorithms” to make it up the hill with no human input.

But this is not exactly a super-Tesla or anything. First of, all, the Mustang is keeping its V8 and will still be able to be driven by a human, if you so desire. Second of all, the car will not be figuring the whole course out as it goes. The car will already have a map of where it needs to go, as Motoring Research explains:

Equipping an achingly cool 1965 Mustang with autonomous tech is very ‘Goodwood’, although it’s not been the work of the moment for the Siemens engineers. A particular challenge, they say, has been honing the sensitivity of the handling control to navigate the course.

The teams thus developed a precise 3D scan of the hill using location-scanning technology from Bentley Systems, for ‘connected awareness of the car’s own position’.
So this is more of a retrofit of getting an old car to drive itself around a pre-described route than it is making a whole new robot-car. That’s fine. It’s still not easy, I’m sure. RoboRace will be competing up the hill this year, too, so that covers that side of things.

Roborace's Robocar Will Attempt The First Fully Autonomous Hillclimb At The Goodwood Festival Of…

The dog bone-looking thing you see above is the self-driving race car from Roborace, the world’s…

And honestly, I don’t even mind that this project is happening. Cut up a ‘65 Mustang all you want. You can probably make an all-new one using reproduction parts, and they were never rare to begin with, nor was rarity ever part of its charm. If anything, this project gives me a little hope that classics may find a way to integrate into a self-driving future. After all, who cares about crash structures when cars don’t crash?

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
I hope they don't end up wrecking that nice old Mustang by letting a damned computer drive it into a wall.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
Donating Member
Reaction score
It has the course pre-built into the computer. There is nothing autonomous about that.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
I want to see the video

dom418

Reaction score
Hide your loved ones! Coming in hot!

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Maximum Overdrive here we come.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
"Beetle swerved to avoid an out of control mustang, mustang driver swerved to miss hitting beetle, bam, they crash."
It's ALWAYS the mustang. Always.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
Reaction score
And just like all Mustangs it saw a human during the run, and no amount of safety programming could stop it from attempting to murder the hapless person.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom