Diesel pusher motorhomes..

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Kodiac is a titch easier

Kodiaks are interesting. If you ever see a BBC with coil packs on it that's probably one of the most HD BBCs GM ever made and they were pretty well a Kodiak exclusive. Forged pistons and it uses an LS box with a 24X setup. If I ever get a chance to grab one cheap I'd boost the piss out of it.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Kodiaks are interesting. If you ever see a BBC with coil packs on it that's probably one of the most HD BBCs GM ever made and they were pretty well a Kodiak exclusive. Forged pistons and it uses an LS box with a 24X setup. If I ever get a chance to grab one cheap I'd boost the piss out of it.

Problem is you can't spin it fast

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Problem is you can't spin it fast

That seems to be due to the Allison gear box based on what I can find on the net. To my knowledge they never made a tall deck 454 so you're not going to wind up with goofy 4 ring pistons. Then again finding one may be a bit of a trip I suspect they're unicorns.

MEATeorite

Addict
Apr 10, 2016
Plano IL
this excites me.

00M0M_4eRtA8k9F1x_600x450.jpg

https://rockford.craigslist.org/rvs/d/park-ridge-2009-four-winds-super-kodiak/6895858061.html
While i wouldnt outright avoid CAT, I'd advise you to be aware it's the most costly to repair in the industry. Even more money than Mercedes Benz. Worse yet, whether you get parts from Ford, chevy, freightliner, Intl, or whoever in the area northern IL its going through the local CAT dealer (there is only one in this area), and they aren't cheap and dont provide good service. Also whatever parts guys on the other end at the truck OEM are hit and miss for getting CAT parts correct. And CAT sells every single component seperate, so you need to clarify you need each and every single related part.

I would avoid 2007+ emission C7. They're plagued with emissions problems and expensive ones. Even the 2003 emission motors need Diesel oxidation catalyst every 5 or so years (2100 bucks). Last reman longblock i did was 16,000 bucks, 28,000 for a complete reman C7. Anything CAT isnt cheap.

Also, bullshit rope gaskets everywhere. Fucking cheap bullshit for the most expensive engine in its class.

Also, every single C7 I've driven from empty box trucks to fire trucks, low horsepower to high horsepower are far far from snappy acceleration. Any B series or intl DT will out accelerate one of these easy. These things are underwhelming in the power dept.

That said, id still take a C7 easily over a Mercedes benz, duramax, intl maxxforce anything, or most gas burners.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
While i wouldnt outright avoid CAT, I'd advise you to be aware it's the most costly to repair in the industry. Even more money than Mercedes Benz. Worse yet, whether you get parts from Ford, chevy, freightliner, Intl, or whoever in the area northern IL its going through the local CAT dealer (there is only one in this area), and they aren't cheap and dont provide good service. Also whatever parts guys on the other end at the truck OEM are hit and miss for getting CAT parts correct. And CAT sells every single component seperate, so you need to clarify you need each and every single related part.

I would avoid 2007+ emission C7. They're plagued with emissions problems and expensive ones. Even the 2003 emission motors need Diesel oxidation catalyst every 5 or so years (2100 bucks). Last reman longblock i did was 16,000 bucks, 28,000 for a complete reman C7. Anything CAT isnt cheap.

Also, bullshit rope gaskets everywhere. Fucking cheap bullshit for the most expensive engine in its class.

Also, every single C7 I've driven from empty box trucks to fire trucks, low horsepower to high horsepower are far far from snappy acceleration. Any B series or intl DT will out accelerate one of these easy. These things are underwhelming in the power dept.

That said, id still take a C7 easily over a Mercedes benz, duramax, intl maxxforce anything, or most gas burners.

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.

i could be for sure mistaken, but wasn't that one i posted a duramax?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info