Diesel Ford F150 spied

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
:rofl: impossible dont they say that with every new vehicle.........its impossible for about 2 months or so lol.

Well the 2015 SRT PCM's are impossible and I think the RAM is in a similar boat. You either exchange for an older PCM or have your current one physically modified to be unlocked. It's not just cracking the code on these FCA vehicles anymore. I've been trying to find a reasonably priced solution to tuning my mom's SRT Jeep since she bought it 3/15

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
The EcoDiesel lives up to its name for sure. My friend has one and averages 25 driving like a complete asshat. He just got a CTS2 moniter, sent his ECU out to be cracked for tuning and ordered a delete kit. Can't wait to see what they do deleted.

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaymn

Keep us posted on tune & delete. Last I heard the tuning for these was damn near impossible.

i think that gets said about every new engine ever :rofl:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
i dont think there is a market for that anymore.

not with 1500's having the capabilities that they do now.

a new 1500 gm/ford/dodedge have much more capability than an old 1500hd, while getting much better fuel economy.

Yes, the 2016 trucks tow more than the older 1500HD. I am just saying that the 1500HD wasn't just a 1500 with a 6.0. It had features that the normal 1500 didn't have. I think having a slightly different look would set it apart some. I know people love the look of the F250 way more than the F150. If Ford can incorporate some of those design elements of the F250 I think it would help sales. That way the F150 diesel guys will fell more like they are "real diesel" owners and not just F150 owners with a different motor.

I don't think there are as many buyers looking for gas-sipping diesel trucks as there are more people want a diesel but don't want the beastly, rough riding F250.

It's either a CAFE move to further push sales off the V8 trucks, or, like you said a marketing idea.

I'd bet that if the diesel gains traction you'll see a very small number of V8 F150's sold

With the government wanting higher and higher milage and lower emissions, I would think it is for CAFE. I think if the diesel is a good motor there really wouldn't be a need for the V8. Ecoboost 2.7 & 3.5 and diesel would cover anyone looking for a F150. Be it fuel mileage or capable power for towing.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
just did some googling, still seems the PCM has to be sent in for physical modification to be able to tune. that's ridiculous.

Dodge has been making it hard to break their ECUs for years. Seems Ford or GM get cracked in a few months of being out. Not the case with Dodge. They must be putting a lot of effort to keep tuners out.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
Well the 2015 SRT PCM's are impossible and I think the RAM is in a similar boat. You either exchange for an older PCM or have your current one physically modified to be unlocked. It's not just cracking the code on these FCA vehicles anymore. I've been trying to find a reasonably priced solution to tuning my mom's SRT Jeep since she bought it 3/15

Srt which ones? people said the hellcat one was impossible but its being tuned.

impossible and expensive do not mean the same thing here.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Keep us posted on tune & delete. Last I heard the tuning for these was damn near impossible.

just did some googling, still seems the PCM has to be sent in for physical modification to be able to tune. that's ridiculous.

You are correct. Another friend of mine has a 2015 Ram 3500 Cummins, he had to send his ECU out to be cracked for him to be able to tune the truck. I believe he's now running the truck on EFI Live through a cracked 2015 ECU.

13754091_10154451641844589_5154285297530963159_n.jpg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I believe it's the same song and dance for the EcoDiesel, however my friend with that truck is simply sending the ECU out, having it flashed and sent back. He will not be running any intermediary software like EFI Live, etc. and will use his CTS2 monitor for data and safeties.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
So it CAN be done but may not be cheap is all i was trying to say.

Correct, it sounds like it's about $600 for it to be cracked including the ride both ways for the ECU. Depending on your tuning wants/needs/custom vs. canned, plus exhaust you're in a full delete about $2,000. I'll be running SCT w/custom tunes and a CTS2 monitor keeping everything in check.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
You are correct. Another friend of mine has a 2015 Ram 3500 Cummins, he had to send his ECU out to be cracked for him to be able to tune the truck. I believe he's now running the truck on EFI Live through a cracked 2015 ECU.

13754091_10154451641844589_5154285297530963159_n.jpg
That's insane, both that it has to be done that way and that someone is willing to do it to such an expensive truck :rofl:

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
That's insane, both that it has to be done that way and that someone is willing to do it to such an expensive truck :rofl:

Money money haha. That truck is gorgeous inside, it's a longhorn limited.

He was planning on leaving it stock, but had two EGR failures in 15,000 miles and the dealer wasn't a big help so he decided to just fix the emissions problem and get rid of it lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info