đź“° Auto News [DEBUNKED] The Charger and Challenger will live to fight another day

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
According to MotorTrend.

TLDR:

Our sources tell us that a brand-new generation of V-8-powered, rear-wheel-drive muscle machines are coming, and coming soon. Here you thought Dodge was going fully EV, and turning its back on the burning of gasoline.

A new, large Stellantis rear-drive platform is coming and can fit a V-8. This platform will be separate and unrelated to the EV skateboard chassis that will underpin other large Stellantis EVs. This vehicle architecture will underpin a new Charger, a new Challenger, as well as possibly a new Chrysler 300, and the next-generation Maserati Quattroporte. Any chance a large Alfa Romeo could come along to fight the 5 Series or 7 Series? Nope, as Alfa Romeo has announced its going all-EV by 2027. Opel? Vauxhall? Could either of those brands get a gas-powered, V-8-capable chassis. No clue, but hey, why not?

The new Charger and Challenger will be lighter than the cars they replace and they will handle better—probably much better. The designs are currently being finalized, so our sources haven't seen anything yet. We do hear that Dodge is aware that looks played a big part keeping both models alive for this long, so don't expect anything too radical. Expect ZF's ubiquitous (and excellent) 8-speed automatic to remain the transmission of choice, and of course for our friends in the Northeast there will be an AWD option.

We don't know which engines specifically will show up in Dodge's new muscle cars, but you don't need to be a scientitian to guess, with an asterisk. Currently, the 392 V-8 puts out 485 horsepower. Not bad for natural aspiration. However, Mopar's new 3.0-liter twin-turbo Hurricane I-6 pumps out "more than" 500 horsepower. It's a tough intellectual conundrum for the muscle car fan, take the less powerful V-8 or go with more power but fewer cylinders. We're betting that Dodge decides to offer two flavors of Hurricane I-6 (standard will be more than 400 hp, high-output will again top 500 hp) and save the V-8 for the all-powerful, all-profitable Hellcat variant. Figure 800 hp minimum for the next-gen evil kitty.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Someone other than Dave mentioned Nissan! Blood on Blood Blood on Blood
They Pull Me Back In Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

• It's funny, you're a funny guy
Reactions: Jimy Bilmo

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yes. But there also was a little sarcasm in my comment. The whole attraction of the Charger is the fact that it has 4 doors, so dropping it would kill their sales. A Hellcat Charger preferably in Indiglo Blue, but I will take Jazz Blue also, is on my shopping/stroke list as I look to replace the Caddy.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Never should have used the Charger nameplate on a four door car. They could have gone with something new, or used a nameplate from an actual four door vehicle of the era. So, put it back to two doors, and call the four door something else, like "Aspen".

Oh wait... that became a minivan. :iorofl:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info