Debt.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Using a revolving credit card as well... just like what it sounds like and PAYING IT OFF every month really won't get you great credit. You need to hold ~50% balances on them to get the biggest bang for your debt... er buck... on your FICO score. $0 bal on a $10k card = risk. One day you might snap and buy a blower for your BMW, never know.

this is illogical. and of course that will give you great credit, you just won't be very profitable to them. you will still be seen as conservative and a low risk though, which in turn means high credit score. 50%, as james and others noted, is too high - i believe it is around 30% where they start punishing you for carrying a significant balance. unless you have 0% or low (probably not on any credit card) rate then it's just silly to carry that amount month to month. then you are just a sucker paying a lot of interest. $0 bal on a $10k card is not risky. $5 or $10k is riskier for obvious reasons.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
you won't see me at the shaft doctor unless the guiness book of records is present

FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU the "good night sweet price" banner is up... damnit.

Anyways, you better find some damn wood (pun intended) to knock on, or that karma shit is gonna hunt you down! You'll NEED a lil blue pill to get that junk up by the age of 40 mr I'm all that and a bag o chips.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
My credit score hovers near 690-700 but ive got some decent debt (cc's) to go along with it. Which is why it isnt even better than that. Ive managed to keep my rates low for the most part and transfer balances throughout the years to keep interest in check. I think thats the best part of having good credit. I was able to keep getting offers for low rates for years and still only having 2-3 cc's open at any given time. Not that having 2-3 cards is a good thing but as long as you manage them well it can be very benificial. (at least for me it was) Having paid off 15K in student loans along with not being late on any major accounts or rarely anything for that matter has put me in a good credit situation. Getting the 35K loan for the G8..no problem!! :)

My first loan was when I was 18ish when my mom co-signed on a car loan for me. Ever since then ive never had anyone co sign for me again. Now im kicking on 30's door. Things can always change you just have to make it happen!

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
The rule that card companies follow to determine your risk is if you break the 30% of available credit threshold.

For example: If you have a $10,000 limit combined on all your cards. If you carry less than $3,000 from month to month you're fine. But once you start going over that your credit score will be adversely affected.
Carrying 50% therefore as a rule of thumb is a no no.
You could totally max out a $2,000 limit card....and carry a $1,000 balance on another card with a limit of $8,000...and you'd still be under the radar of card companies.

right, it has to do with the amount of your total revolving credit that you are using at the moment.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
It's not all about score polski, you need history too.

5 years ago I was making over 60k a year with hardly no credit going on. I tried to buy a $11,000 used car and couldn't without a co signer because I didn't have enough credit history. That was a joke. It takes years to build it up. Have fun trying to buy a house anytime soon. Living at home til you're 35 should be awesome. Or you could rent for 5 years and go against your own words by throwing your money away on nothing, just like credit card interest.

It does take years, but not many, 3 years ago when I bought my car, I needed a co-signer, and I purchased a home, I didn't need a co-signer, me or my GF could have done the mortgage individually(slightly higher interest rate though)... I'm only 23, so it can't take that long to build credit considering I had none 3 years ago......... But it is all about budgeting, and living below your means, If you make 60K, live like your making 40K.... never in debt, and you'll have extra cash for "rainy days"

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Certainly it IS risky. You can instantly increase your debt to income ratio by $10,000, which a large portion of your score is based upon.

$10 on say a $50 annual income is a 20% possible swing... thats ginormous.

by your logic, the larger a credit limit the riskier the person. obviously this is illogical because it is conservative users that get the larger credit limits.

James

TCG Elite Member
Jan 18, 2008
Using a revolving credit card as well... just like what it sounds like and PAYING IT OFF every month really won't get you great credit. You need to hold ~50% balances on them to get the biggest bang for your debt... er buck... on your FICO score. $0 bal on a $10k card = risk. One day you might snap and buy a blower for your BMW, never know.

Yeah, don't trust what this guy Eagle is advising.
Again, do your own homework, don't listen to some random guy on a car message board that isn't a financial expert.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
HAHAHA. James, suck a cock you righteous asshat. You're a financial expert then I take it? Sorry, finally tired of listening to you talk like you know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING. I've been told by several people thats what you should do... but whatever.

Peace out you toolbag.

b00ya

AHHHH!!
Jun 10, 2008
Aurora
When I talked to my mortgage guy he told me the best way to get instant credit history and sometimes bump your score up 50-100 pts in a day is find a family member with a SEARS credit card. I guess sears is the only company that reports DAILY to the credit bureaus. Get put on as an authorized user on that card, you instantly have credit history for however long that person has had that card. He also told me DO NOT pay off the cards to zero balances. The cards I had at the time were 500-1000 limits he said 100 on the 500 and 300 on the 1000 would help more then 0.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info