Death of Streaming?

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
You can use a PC, Nvidia Shield, or an Xbox One and get every streaming option along with antenna TV and only have to use one device. Tell him to give one a try and cancel that cable!!

Yeah, if you are gonna cut the cable, gotta get the device to do everything on. Some prefer FireTV, some are Roku, you have the few Nvidia Shield users, and then the right people with Apple TV. :jg:

I would prefer an ala carte style cable service. Let me check the boxes on what channels I want and don’t show me the ones I don’t. Att used to have a hide channel feature like 10 years ago. Comcast does not and it’s annoying.

I have cable, Netflix, amazon prime and MTOD.

If Comcast really did something like this, I probably wouldnt complain, but they dont. So once this PC I have sells, Ill be buying my OTA equipment for my Plex and trying my damndest to say byeeeeeeee to cable.

Dunno how much longer you'll get your discs...most of the major players are stopping production of bluray players.

Yeah, thats my fear with media. Everything is moving to digital. Some things I dont mind digital. Music was an easy choice. Movies I am cool with to an extent as long as there is somewhere that will always have it. Then you have games. I dont know if Im on the digital games bandwagon yet. If there is a physical copy of a game I want, I will get that.

What's pissing me off is DirectTV now. Up until the last couple months I have been happy with ditching cable. We received a letter saying they are eliminating out plan to new customers and raising the prices if we wanted to keep it. If now we can buy one of 2 shittier packages that cost more. On top of that I keep seeing black outs for sports which is really pissing me off. Plus no WGN at all. Looks like Sling is just as bad on MLB games. I'm about to go back to Comcast. Netflix has nothing I'm interested in enough to pay, we have a friends log in. Disney + might get me just for the new Stars Wars and Marvel content.

The nice thing about Plex and OTA is your local sports are usually always watchable. Usually.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Dunno how much longer you'll get your discs...most of the major players are stopping production of bluray players.

Yeah, thats my fear with media. Everything is moving to digital. Some things I dont mind digital. Music was an easy choice. Movies I am cool with to an extent as long as there is somewhere that will always have it. Then you have games. I dont know if Im on the digital games bandwagon yet. If there is a physical copy of a game I want, I will get that.

The nice thing about Plex and OTA is your local sports are usually always watchable. Usually.

Nothing compared to the quality off a BluRay disc. The bit-rates are comparatively through the roof.

Is why I buy them, and store the rips in original format.

Look at the file sizes. :) the bitrates are in the 90-130mbit range. While even the best 4K streaming content is only 25mbits. That is a huge gap in quality. And it’s night and day if you see them back to back.

Code:
 33G	Independence Day - Resurgence (2016).mkv
 35G	Cars 3 (2017).mkv
 35G	Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016).mkv
 38G	Deadpool (2016).mkv
 39G	Logan (2017).mkv
 40G	Ant-Man and the Wasp (2018).mkv
 41G	Atomic Blonde (2017).mkv
 41G	Kingsman - The Golden Circle (2017).mkv
 41G	Power Rangers (2017).mkv
 41G	X-Men - Apocalypse (2016).mkv
 42G	Mad Max - Fury Road (2015).mkv
 42G	Spider-Man - Into the Spider-Verse (2018).mkv
 43G	Jurassic World - Fallen Kingdom (2018).mkv
 43G	The Martian (2015).mkv
 44G	John WIck (2014).mkv
 46G	Black Panther (2018).mkv
 46G	Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)
 46G	Passengers (2016).mkv
 46G	Tomb Raider (2018).mkv
 48G	Spider-man - Homecoming (2017).mkv
 49G	Star Trek Into Darkness (2013).mkv
 49G	Thor - Ragnarok (2017).mkv
 50G	DeadPool 2 (2018).mkv
 50G	Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017).mkv
 51G	Ghost in the Shell (2017).mkv
 51G	Star Trek Beyond (2016).mkv
 52G	Star Trek (2009).mkv
 53G	Avengers - Infinity War (2018).mkv
 54G	Wonder Woman (2017).mkv
 56G	Aquaman (2018).mkv
 57G	Pacific Rim - Uprising (2018).mkv
 61G	Pacific Rim (2013).mkv
 65G	Ready Player One (2018).mkv
 71G	Blade Runner 2049 (2017).mkv
 71G	John Wick - Chapter 2 (2017).mkv

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Yeah, if you are gonna cut the cable, gotta get the device to do everything on. Some prefer FireTV, some are Roku, you have the few Nvidia Shield users, and then the right people with Apple TV. :jg:

If Comcast really did something like this, I probably wouldnt complain, but they dont. So once this PC I have sells, Ill be buying my OTA equipment for my Plex and trying my damndest to say byeeeeeeee to cable.

Check out OTA through an Xbox One too. Has a really nice channel guide and options.

Just have to get a USB tv tuner and run the OTA antenna to the Xbox.

I have my OTA antenna feeding a PC with Plex and and Xbox One. Both work great.

FrenchLicker

Enginerd
Jan 10, 2013
Naperthrill
Stream will die if they cut down on concurrent streams. Netflix does it, and will ding you if you try to use too many devices. The issue will happen when people who SHARE their login information start to get hit for the number of concurrent streams. I get by with a minimum of 4 devices concurrently as when each daughter has an iPad and I want to stream to the TV, there's 3 easily on weekends they're at my place.

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
56669522_878355625842415_2606718653848092672_n.jpg

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
My stream quality over all has dropped on everything...no idea why...hardwired or wifi.

I'm now streaming through the tv apps, which one would think would provide the best quality....maybe Hulu is just a mixed bag for stream quality.

Gonna give the TV apps a chance in the meantime.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I still have Xfinity as well as Amazon Prime, Netflix and Kodi because it doesn't cost all that much for Xfinity TV since I have to pay for their high speed internet connection anyways. Occasionally I price out alternatives but the savings aren't worth the hassle of having to use multiple services. Prime and Netflix both run directly through Xfinity making it easy for Amy to watch what she wants on the big TV.

I'm usually on my computer with youtube or one of the newer video aggregate sites. Xfinity to go, or whatever it is, sucks because they pull a lot of abilities like Record off the mobile platform but it's easy to watch programs on it. Just have to record and voice search off a set top box.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info