TV Chernobyl [HBO]

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Highly enjoyable...Absolutely crazy the amount of just pure ignorance and hubris displayed, and how little first responders knew about what they were dealing with. Just pointing out the people who clearly died very quickly in the coming hours, days, weeks was eye popping (I know dramatized, but still crazy because it mostly did happen)

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
I did some extra research on the RMBK reactors, just so I could follow along more closely.

Fiance kept asking me what the significance of the glowing blocks were. I guessed they were some part of the reactor, but wasn't sure what. Then they said they were graphite. That's what lead me to look it up. The RMBK used the graphite blocks to slow the nuclear reaction within the core. The below graphic sort of shows what and where they are in relation to everything

600px-RBMK_en.svg.png

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Radiation poisoning is no joke. Where some of those guys were, they had to use mirrors to take pictures of, because the radiation was so high the cameras were being destroyed by the radiation in direct exposure to it. So crazy.

And that "beam of light" was intense radiation, and I'm not sure if they'll touch on it, but the people in the helicopter that flew above it all died from Acute exposure.

480.jpg

So, what is it exactly? The Elephant’s Foot is made of a substance called corium, which is basically the melted portion of the reactor’s core, reports Forbes. When Chernobyl melted down, its core burned through the reactor and turned into molten corium. This waste material cooled in the basement of the reactor and formed something that resembles an elephant’s foot. When it was first discovered, back in 1986, about 30 seconds of exposure was enough to kill a person.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The+Elephant%27s+Foot+of+the+Chernobyl+disaster,+1986+(1).jpg

There was a photo journal with some great photos and explanations of the photos. The comments on this were to the effect of, "I don't know how this person did this...they had to have run into the frame and run immediately back out. Additionally, the graininess of the photo is a testament to how much radiation was emanating from the corium"

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I did some extra research on the RMBK reactors, just so I could follow along more closely.

Fiance kept asking me what the significance of the glowing blocks were. I guessed they were some part of the reactor, but wasn't sure what. Then they said they were graphite. That's what lead me to look it up. The RMBK used the graphite blocks to slow the nuclear reaction within the core. The below graphic sort of shows what and where they are in relation to everything

600px-RBMK_en.svg.png

the control rods slow the reaction, i think the graphite is needed to actually achieve it though, by slowing some particles?

part of the reasons for the failure was having more control rods out than they should have had at any point.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
the control rods slow the reaction, i think the graphite is needed to actually achieve it though, by slowing some particles?

part of the reasons for the failure was having more control rods out than they should have had at any point.

In this instance the graphite around the fuel also controls the reaction, along with the control rods. In this particular instance, the control rods are also tipped with graphite, which temporarily increased the reaction when lowered (through some nuclear reaction I have no idea why). So the control rod tips melted when the reaction increased and caused the rods to get stuck only 1/3 of the way down, eventually causing the out of control situation and eventual explosion and meltdown.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info