• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Catalytic converter help needed

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Reaction score
I believe I have a bad cat, it rattles at idle, and when I pound on it under the car I can hear something rattling, and it looks like my flex pipe has some holes in it. Is there like a test pipe or something that I could have put in temporarily until I can afford a cat? :hs: I'm not sure what the cat back is, but it looks like its 3"

Also, if there is anyone in the Aurora/Batavia-ish area that could help with this? Need to remove and/or replace cat so I can drive the car, and not damage anything. I dont think I will need to do emissions until after winter.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
why run a cat? do u have visual inspections or something?

Ron Vogel

Reaction score
If it's on a Prix, remove and replace with pipe...done.

It's like one of the only cars that cat removal really helps.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Reaction score
I have no problems removing it, just will need it when i have to e-test. Plus I need someone to do it for me, since I do not think a shop will just remove it for me.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
if theres no visual inspection, again, why run a cat?

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Reaction score
will a gtp w/ intake, rockers, headers and a 3.2 pulley pass emissions with out a cat if they put a sniffer in the tailpipe?

I've never had to have a car e-tested before, so I dont really know what is going to happen. But again, I do not think a shop will remove a cat from a car that is newer than 96.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
they wont put a sniffer on the pipe.
find someone with a DHP to remove the codes and be done

Fish

From the mean streets....
Reaction score
I dont know if it will pass the sniffer, but Ive never had any of my cars put on the sniffer.

Just have the code deleted by someone with a powertuner and boom. OBD II test passed.

Damn, bikr beat me to it. :hs:

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
no reputable shop will remove a cat. let a lone work on one w/o :rofl:

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Reaction score
A shop in aurora removed the ones on my 93 SHO, but it doesnt need to be tested.

I'm currently trying to replace the wheel bearing anyways. So, the car might be in the street on fire later anyway.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
no emission testing center will do an IM240 (sniffer) test. most of the retards that work there are lucky to find the OBD port....

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
i passed w/ my gtp camming in the line and throwing a code as soon as i pulled out (for the cam) :rofl:

Fish

From the mean streets....
Reaction score
They had no problem swapping the flex pipe out.... it is where my cat should be :dunno:
Did you have one going in? I asked for them to remove it. They denied me crying "illegAL."

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Reaction score
don't really wanna drive it with a bad cat

and the track car is kinda cold to drive when its cool out :rofl:

Ron Vogel

Reaction score
I can do the work if you need it done, but this week is kind of bad since we're having a garage sale this weekend. Pretty much the whole garage is taken up with our crap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom