Bye Bye Niemi

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
I like Niemi, but I think he was expendible.
IMO, the defense made him look better then he actually was.
Agreed. Thats not to say that he didn't have numerous games where he carried the defense though. The 50 save game in San Jose is a prime example. When he was hot, he was untouchable... but he was fairly inconsistent in the 1st period and late in the 3rd.

The fact of the matter is that we have a stud goalie in Corey Crawford coming up and I doubt they wanted to block him because of a high salaried goalie on a multi year contract.

99 Stangbanger

Phantom Fury
Nov 22, 2004
I think Niemi has learned a lot from the run he had. If it was my money he would still be a Hawk till he couldnt produce. I'm never one to change something not broken. However... other talent cant be passed up if its there for the taking. Only time will tell now if all the changes will help or hurt us.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Agreed. Thats not to say that he didn't have numerous games where he carried the defense though. The 50 save game in San Jose is a prime example. When he was hot, he was untouchable... but he was fairly inconsistent in the 1st period and late in the 3rd.

The fact of the matter is that we have a stud goalie in Corey Crawford coming up and I doubt they wanted to block him because of a high salaried goalie on a multi year contract.

Couldnt have said it better myself. I think the Hawks have the lowest shots against in the NHL, definitely made him look better....

I think Crawford will be up soon, they'll ship Huet off to the minors somewhere so he doesnt hit the salary cap and thats about it....

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I give the Hawks organization credit for putting together a World Championship team. The current salary structure was put in place by the previous GM to get the guys to win a championship. It worked but we now have to pay for it. No way to keepall Hawks players when the future contracts blow the salary cap out of the water. Only question is which players to keep. This year will let us know if the organization makes the right choices. They have a pass on criticism from me until we see how the season goes.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I give the Hawks organization credit for putting together a World Championship team. The current salary structure was put in place by the previous GM to get the guys to win a championship. It worked but we now have to pay for it. No way to keepall Hawks players when the future contracts blow the salary cap out of the water. Only question is which players to keep. This year will let us know if the organization makes the right choices. They have a pass on criticism from me until we see how the season goes.

I agree.....

Just curious is the bonus that Toews got for winning the Con Smythe usually structured so it hits your salary cap ?!?!? I thought that was one of the worst things that happened is that almost 2 million of the cap went to his bonus... Makes me wish Briere (sp?) wouldve won it. :lmao:

SICNESS

Opulence...I has it...
May 3, 2006
I agree.....

Just curious is the bonus that Toews got for winning the Con Smythe usually structured so it hits your salary cap ?!?!? I thought that was one of the worst things that happened is that almost 2 million of the cap went to his bonus... Makes me wish Briere (sp?) wouldve won it. :lmao:

I think Toews got $1.3M for it. I knoe Kane got a bonus too but I don't know what that was.

sideways

yes, im an ass
Aug 25, 2008
Turco is still a great goalie, and a stand up guy. he's an awesome puck handler, a leader in the locker room, and he'll knock your ass out if you get in his crease. im very excited to see him in a hawks sweater.

and niemi isn't worth 2.75 mil IMO.

turco with a defense like the hawks have, is gonna be great

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004

25-12-3 / 2.17GAA / .920SV%

Just want to point out the studliness

Even with Niemi playing for a more successful team this year AND his recent 8 game winning streak, Crawford is still putting up better numbers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info