Bruh - I don't think I can hold out anymore. I WANT ONE!

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
I have wanted one of these bad boys since I was a kid. They are adorable and when they mature if you did it right, there isnt a better more loyal dog breed (my opinion).

We have a blue heeler now, and shes a brute. So I think she will get along with one of these. There is a local breeder asking $2500 for them. Pic is generic. I havent gotten a current pic of the actual puppies that are available.

But man are they awesome. We met one at the dog park a few weeks ago and it was like a statue while the owner had control. When he released him, that dog was happy and playing with everyone around and seemed very well mannered.

Anyone else have a Belgian Mal?

1692211105518.png

1692211150132.png

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
They’re called Maligator’s for a reason. They need constant stimulation, training and exercise. They’ll be loyal as shit if you give them all of them all of the things I mentioned.

Oh we're aware. We have the cousin to the maligator. The blue heeler. They might even be a tougher breed than the mal. Just not as big. But they are fearless. Bred to manage cattle. They also need relentless exercise. We have a big yard, three kids that play with her all the time and we take her out for bike rides a few times a week. She loves it.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Oh we're aware. We have the cousin to the maligator. The blue heeler. They might even be a tougher breed than the mal. Just not as big. But they are fearless. Bred to manage cattle. They also need relentless exercise. We have a big yard, three kids that play with her all the time and we take her out for bike rides a few times a week. She loves it.
Lemme find you a link to a breeder/trainer that has trained to full blown protection dogs. I want to say you could get a partially trained 1-2 year old for anywhere from $4-10k. Give them a call, as they don't really advertise their dogs.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Lemme find you a link to a breeder/trainer that has trained to full blown protection dogs. I want to say you could get a partially trained 1-2 year old for anywhere from $4-10k. Give them a call, as they don't really advertise their dogs.

Is there anybody you don't know? I don't mean that in a negative way. I'm genuinely impressed.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Is there anybody you don't know? I don't mean that in a negative way. I'm genuinely impressed.
I was on the hunt for one of these dogs awhile back. I spoke in-depth with Michael, the owner of Wolfsbane, after thorough online research. He was super easy to talk to, no bullshit or sugar coating. Ultimately, due to the decision to have a second kid, this dog was put on the back burner, as I wouldn't have the time or bandwidth to dad PLUS keep a fur missile trained, tired, and happy. IF I would have got the dog, one of my customers is an ex-CPD K9 trainer and he offered to assist with the continuation of training, but he even warned they NEED a job and a purpose.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
I was on the hunt for one of these dogs awhile back. I spoke in-depth with Michael, the owner of Wolfsbane, after thorough online research. He was super easy to talk to, no bullshit or sugar coating. Ultimately, due to the decision to have a second kid, this dog was put on the back burner, as I wouldn't have the time or bandwidth to dad PLUS keep a fur missile trained, tired, and happy. IF I would have got the dog, one of my customers is an ex-CPD K9 trainer and he offered to assist with the continuation of training, but he even warned they NEED a job and a purpose.
Yes dogs like those our heeler included, need work. Or something like it. Her job is lizard/bunny hunting. Sounds funny but around here there are endless lizards everywhere in every crevasse of everything that sits outside. She will hunt and chase them around the front and back porches of our house all day if I let her.

And bunnies are a problem here as well. Tremendous over population and they destroy everything. So when I let her out, if there is a bunny that dug its way into the yard, shes on it. Chases them out. She also protects my oldest (daughter) bedroom. She sits outside there like a sentinel all day when shes in there. When the door opens and my daughter comes out, its like shes off duty and can relax. Pretty funny. But those are her jobs. She used to be my wife's walking partner. They would do 6 miles a day, but the summers are too hot outside for that for the wife. So we go to the gym now. But we still take her out on evening bike rides and she runs with us. By the time we get home, she passes out in the kitchen on the cool floor and is done. I work from home as well so Im constantly with her while the kids are at school. Spoiled to say the least.

Shes completely trained and I could call her off a running bunny or a rare steak. I could pry food out of her mouth but she would drop it on command first. If she was 100lbs, she would be the perfect dog. Personally I know she'd try to kill anyone or anything that would attempt to hurt us, but shes just not big enough to really do damage if needed.

Reactions: NOMIEZVR4

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
I have a partial German Shepard and Belgian Mal she is highly intelligent, but you need to work with them so much or they will do anything they can to entertain themselves. View attachment 174687View attachment 174688
Shes beautiful.

I really like the mals that are all black on their face and chest. Makes them look like they were watching an explosion and their hair got all burned.

1692215082625.png

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I had a blue heeler great Pyrenees mix. Calms the heeler energy down, makes them bigger but still keeps the herding/protection in them. Maybe lose a little speed because of the size increase though. She was a great dog and the whole litter was the same way.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
I had a blue heeler great Pyrenees mix. Calms the heeler energy down, makes them bigger but still keeps the herding/protection in them. Maybe lose a little speed because of the size increase though. She was a great dog and the whole litter was the same way.
I loved this dog. Stubborn as FUCK though, then again look at her owner :mamoru:.

• Haha
Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
I'm going to chime in REAL FUCKING QUICK LIKE, a MAL is not, ANYTHING like a heeler! Besides a "herding breed". A MAL is not your average everyday family dog. Nothing even remotely close to it. Owning a MAL is a constant Job you have to work them until they can't work no more!

They are NOT a GSD, that you see in movies etc etc.

I can sit here and write a million things on why an average person should not own one.

The only way you should own one is if, you are willing to put the work in. IT'S a FULL TIME JOB!

If you really want a MAL, I can put you in touch with a group who has one, that failed at being a MAL, and you will get support and training for it.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Working Breeds. Etc, etc Labs, Cattles, Terroirs and the such are one thing, a MAL is another.

You seem quite passionate over this subject. I'm very serious and have put decades worth of thought into getting a dog like this. But I can understand where people would put the big warning label out there.

We got the same for the heeler. They are often compared to velociraptors...lol. Her baby teeth were like finishing nails. I pulled one out of my hand when she was teething...

1692238761199.png

1692238777891.png

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Would love a fur missile... but im still not over my last dog passing, and dont want to go through that crap again really to tell the truth.
The great "catch" of owning a dog. You get a solid 10 years with them, then they are gone. I've said good bye to a few childhood dogs and cats, but none of my own as an adult. Thats going to be a tough one I know... My parents lost their 11yo golden retriever a few years ago and that one hit my mom hard. She couldnt get another one even though she really wanted to. They have a different breed now, but she probably loved that golden more than she loves me....lol

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
I lost my choc lab yeaaars ago and still dont want another yet, it was that bad going through that. Spending 12 years everyday with him, its like losing your child.
I feel that. The hard one I went through was my first memory dog. Black lab we had as far back as I can remember. He passed when I was 11ish. My parents had him before I showed up. He was in every family photo taken at our house in c'ville until he was gone. Then we had a pair of shelties. They were great. I grew up with them and they passed when I was just out of HS. Then that's when my parents got their golden a year or two after.

Reactions: VenomousDSG

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I'm going to chime in REAL FUCKING QUICK LIKE, a MAL is not, ANYTHING like a heeler! Besides a "herding breed". A MAL is not your average everyday family dog. Nothing even remotely close to it. Owning a MAL is a constant Job you have to work them until they can't work no more!

They are NOT a GSD, that you see in movies etc etc.

I can sit here and write a million things on why an average person should not own one.

The only way you should own one is if, you are willing to put the work in. IT'S a FULL TIME JOB!

If you really want a MAL, I can put you in touch with a group who has one, that failed at being a MAL, and you will get support and training for it.

Agreed 10000%, not sure why the heeler even keeps being brought up except to say they would be together.....

There's a local guy who has a Mal and the thing is trained like CRAZY, I stopped and talked to the guy and he literally spends hours every single day working the dog and training it so it doesn't get bored and destructive. Beautiful dog, listens great, does everything it should, but is a TON of work.

Reactions: Jimy Bilmo
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info