• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Brake pad friction coefficient database

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Okay, the way this works is simple:

If you do a swap of pads there will be codes on them from AA to HH. These correspond to the friction coefficient of the pads. What I would like is the application you bough them for, the PN of the pads, the line (ex:Centric C-Tek Ceramic.) I'll start off with a couple pads I have. I'm not sure if friction coefficient is the same across line but it's something auto parts places don't seem to actively publish in their data and this will give people a good place to start.

Coefficient table from:
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/disc-brake-pad-friction-codes-explained/

SAE J866 Friction Designators
FRICTION COEFFICIENTCODE
Up to 0.15C
Over 0.15 up to 0.25D
Over 0.25 up to 0.35E
Over 0.35 up to 0.45F
Over 0.45 up to 0.55G
Over 0.55H
UnclassifiedZ

Make/ModelYearPNBrandLineFriction Coefficient
Jeep Liberty2003-200710309640CentricC-Tek CeramicGG
Jeep Liberty2003-200710308560CentricC-Tek CeramicGG
Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R2008-2008FA417/4HHEBCDouble-H Series SinteredHH

Reactions: LikeABauce302

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Make/Model
Kawasaki ZX6-R
Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R2007-2008FA417/4HHEBCDouble-H Series SinteredHH
Use them with RBF600 on the track bike, which still has factory rotors, I believe 320mm up front. When the pads are cold it's like clamping a 2x4 block of wood to the rotors and hope something bad won't happen. When they're up to temp, you can lock the front tire at 180mph+ with a single finger on the brake lever. Has excellent initial bite, which can be in issue in the wet. But smooth and linear feel throughout the life of the pad.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Okay, the way this works is simple:

If you do a swap of pads there will be codes on them from AA to HH. These correspond to the friction coefficient of the pads. What I would like is the application you bough them for, the PN of the pads, the line (ex:Centric C-Tek Ceramic.) I'll start off with a couple pads I have. I'm not sure if friction coefficient is the same across line but it's something auto parts places don't seem to actively publish in their data and this will give people a good place to start.

Coefficient table from:
https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/disc-brake-pad-friction-codes-explained/

SAE J866 Friction Designators
FRICTION COEFFICIENTCODE
Up to 0.15C
Over 0.15 up to 0.25D
Over 0.25 up to 0.35E
Over 0.35 up to 0.45F
Over 0.45 up to 0.55G
Over 0.55H
UnclassifiedZ

Jeep Liberty2003-200710309640CentricC-Tek CeramicGG
Jeep Liberty2003-200710308560CentricC-Tek CeramicGG
Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R2008-2008FA417/4HHEBCDouble-H Series SinteredHH
Pulled this from the article, for a better understanding of the codes:

Understanding Brake Pad Codes​

• All U.S. street-legal and many racing pads have a two-letter friction designator stamped on the pad edge or the backing plate.
  • The first letter designates low-temperature friction performance (200 to 400 degrees F).
  • The second letter designates high-temperature performance (300 to 650 degrees F).
  • The higher the letter in the alphabet, the better the friction performance.
  • Normal pad code letters range from C through H.
  • If the first letter is lower than the second letter, the pad works better at high temperatures and needs a warm-up.
  • If the second letter is lower than the first letter, the pad may fade at high temperature.
  • The best all-round street pads have good friction at both high and low temperatures (as in code "FF").

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
are these even tested under the same scenarios one mfr to the next? this doesn't seem worth the effort since 99% of people don't care/it doesn't matter. track guys are typically sticking with popular recommendations/trying out a brand then moving up or down the product line to see what feels good for them/their setup/their style/their tracks. i never picked a pad based on its friction coefficient.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
are these even tested under the same scenarios one mfr to the next? this doesn't seem worth the effort since 99% of people don't care/it doesn't matter. track guys are typically sticking with popular recommendations/trying out a brand then moving up or down the product line to see what feels good for them/their setup/their style/their tracks. i never picked a pad based on its friction coefficient.
I pick pads on the friction coefficient. Makes a huge difference

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Yes, these are DOT regulated specifications.

When you start getting into race stuff (not stuff that's advertised as race stuff) there may be other paramters that aren't as accurately reflected in the codes alone e.g. over 650F temperatures.

I would also say that ratings are no substitute for testing but a good starting point for making purchasing decisions e.g. you can discard the shit right away.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
just not sure what you are trying to accomplish putting in the effort tracking these here?

hawk has put out this:

msedge_uiXbysxQdG_1024x1024.png

although i personally don't put too much faith in it outside of "might die in here" zones and have never been interested in running hawks. iirc a long long time ago i used hps or hp+ once.

carbotech lists temperatures but no coefficients - https://ctbrakes.com/choosingcompounds/ (and the temps on the high end seem questionable, have used these in the past ax6 xp8 xp10)

currently on the brz are project mu 999s - https://www.project-mu.co.jp/en/products/pad_999.html

pfc pretty popular with bmw guys i think in particular - https://pfc.parts/motorsports/pfc-compounds/

just not sure what you are going for that is actionable or anything here. most people don't know the temperatures they are operating at, even including most track guys.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
also not sure how fair these tests are to compare to eachother even given DOT specifications, eg. if something is race only (and/or made in japan or europe) seems they may use any methodology they want.
The race stuff won't be there, but then again I don't drive a race car daily and race car brakes are something I'd likely have had to fabricate on any of my given vehicles.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
does DOT even matter though? eg. your tires are all DOT approved but 225 from one mfr to the next is going to be different widths in reality. what about the treadwear rating? iirc that generally only applies to relative wear across a company's own brands, one company's 300 tw might be another company's 400, etc.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I have the Hawk HPS (in the graph above) on the fronts of the Caddy and all 4 on the G8.

I can't say I see the 20% - 40% more braking performance than stock that they claim, but I do believe in the fade resistance (I notice it's better with this in the Brembo's on the Caddy specifically) and love the low dust of them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info