Bending a cast iron steering knuckle

SilentShado

303 HP+315 ft lbs = 1 GXP with 2 bald bridgestones
Reaction score
Is it possible to bend a cast iron steering knuckle?? I was working on the brakes for my 1999 hyundai elantra and the rotors were frozen on. I PB blasted them and beat on them for about 4 hours to no avail. I heard that you can run a nut and bolt thru the holes on the knuckle that the caliper bracket mounts to and push off there to pop the rotors. Well after pressing on it and beating the rotors with a sledge it finally poped. Now when I try to put the caliper bracket back on it seems tweeked and wedges itself again the rotor when I tighten the bolts. If it did get tweeked can I heat it up and bend it back or will it just snap? Thanks in advance for the help.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
So you think you bent the caliper mounting bracket? If you put enough pressure on it by running a bolt through to the rotor then started hitting it with a sledge then yea probably. Metal bends.

OP
SilentShado

SilentShado

Reaction score
Not the bracket itself but the knuckle. I used the holes that the bracket bolts too.

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
its a 99 Hyundai elantra, if you LOOK at the brakes too hard they may warp, let alone hitting the bracket with a hammer.

NAPA sells 'loaded' caliper brackets for reasonable prices last I checked, not many other places stock the brackets.

OP
SilentShado

SilentShado

Reaction score
Hey Dasfinc it wasn't the bracket itself it was the actual knucle that the bracket bolts too. I used the bolt holes on the knuckle to push again the rotor, now when I try to put the caliper bracket on it sits funny. Happen to know if napa sells the knuckle with the hub and bearing as a unit?

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
junkyard time, you can try to smack the bolt hole ears back into place but there's undoubtedly some fractures so you could just endup snapping the ears off

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Just heat it up red hot and bend it back. How do you think you get more camber in a Honda? :rofl:

Dasfinc

Mrrrrstang.
Reaction score
Hey Dasfinc it wasn't the bracket itself it was the actual knucle that the bracket bolts too. I used the bolt holes on the knuckle to push again the rotor, now when I try to put the caliper bracket on it sits funny. Happen to know if napa sells the knuckle with the hub and bearing as a unit?
I apologize, I re-read it and see what you are saying now.

Are you sure you didn't bend the bracket? take a straight edge to the knuckle and see if its tweaked.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
I would hope he wasn't beating with the caliper bracket bolted on.
I'll agree with ilikemtb. Heat it up and bend it back. The worst thing that could happen is messing it up more

OP
SilentShado

SilentShado

Reaction score
All I have is a propane torch, I'm gonna try and use some washers see if that works in the meantime while I source a new one. Like stated earlier I'm sure the ears are fractured and in an emergency lock em up situation they could snap off. Better safe than sorry

Stink Star Productions

Don’t Drive Angry!
Reaction score
id imagine a cast iron knuckle would just snap before it would bend.... are u sure the rotors (new ones id imagine) are the right ones? and if so are they sitting flush?

Importsnrice

The tech kid!!
Reaction score
I don't think you bent it. Supra had the bad crash and that's the only time it got bent and it wasn't as bad as we thought it would be. Those things are beasts.

I would try assembling everything and see how it fits, it might just look funny because the wheel and lugs aren't pushing the rotor to the hub all the way.

If you did bend it with a hammer, you must be a strong man with a big hammer

Turbocharged400sbc

Welllllllllll ya knowwwwwww.....
Reaction score
he mentioned a sledge and tightening bolts through the bolt ears against the backside of the rusted on rotor

if he hit the side of the rotor the bolts were touching he would have surely bent them.

edit if he didnt bend the ears at the least he deformed/pulled the threads

have you installed just the bolts and seen if they were still square to the ear face? if it's swuare to the ear face but not square to the hub you bent the ear

OP
SilentShado

SilentShado

Reaction score
Well I beat that bitch into submission. The ears that hold the caliper bracket were definately bent back towards the motor almost 1/2". It's funny as I thought a cast iron knuckle would have been much stronger than that. I figured the knuckle was gone anyway so I started to beat on the ears with a 5 lb baby sledge and I got them back to where they needed to be plus a bit of grinding to get the ears flat again. I want to thank everyone for there help on this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom