Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
F-35C doing Op Qualifications on the Lincoln;

F-35C-tests-integration-with-USS-Abraham-Lincoln.jpg

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Figured the Trump thread wasn't the right spot for my off-topic rant...

The US really needs a speedy and/or stealthy interdictor (a la F-111 or F-117). Something that can haul more than say an F-15E but smaller than a B-1B. The F-117 was a great concept, but could only carry 2 bombs...the F-22 can also carry 2 bombs internally, but also has the added benefit of also being able to carry air to air weapons. Something a bit larger, stealthy with supercruise, and the ability to drop a half dozen to a dozen 500 pound bombs would be great. (the B-1B can carry 48 500 pound bombs :hsughlol: )

MrDragster1970

TCG Elite Member
Dec 18, 2011
RT 66 area

When I was on instructor duty I was on the USS Tarawa or USS Belleau Wood??, and the Harriers were coming & going.
I've been looking for those photo's for decades and can't find the damn things.
Those were cool planes, and cool to watch in action.
Not as cool as being on a real carrier during flight ops, but still pretty cool.

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
But why? Don’t we have better stuff???

We didn’t until the F-35 came along. We didn’t have a bomb truck, besides the B-2, that was stealthy and could drop 2k pound class bombs. The F-22 is limited to 1k pound bombs and the B-2 is generally too expensive. The stealthy drones aren’t capable of dropping bombs, yet. The F-35 does do everything the F-117 could do, and more. The F-117 could carry 2 bombs, that’s it. No A2A defense. It also, at the time, could only drop laser guided bombs, which required it to stick around and paint the target while the bombs fell. The F-35 has the newer GPS guided bombs, ability to carry 2 2k pound bombs AND A2A defense in its internal stores, and likely has a much small radar cross section (all still classified). The one thing that the F-117 has going for it over the F-35 is thermal emission mitigation. AA is relying more and more on thermal emissions as planes get better at eluding radar

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
The F117 is one of the few planes I've haven't seen in the air or on the ground yet. Fascinating to know that I still may get the chance someday to see one fly!!

Late 80's/early 90's (I was really young, maybe 6 or 7) there was an airshow at the airbase next to O'Hare, and they had a F-117 there. Only time I ever saw it in person. We talked to the pilot, and he let me wear his helmet and got a picture. I'll have to dig the pictures out next time I'm at my parent's place.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

Best tidbit in the article

The answer to that question is possibly.

Quite frankly, it's also quite possible that if the F-117s were put back into service, the USAF wasn't who did it. A particular American agency may have instead. One that would have very limited, but essential use for such a unique assassination tool.

and just because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXxh2p7P1mA

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
what are yall thoughts on the Aurora, or basically any replacement for the SR-71 Blackbird? Lots of people say things like it wasn't needed after the end of the cold war, they costed too much to operate compared to the U2 or they are obsolete thanks to todays drones and satellites.

I still believe there is some sore of supersonic spy plane out there that we don't know about. Doesn't make sense that america would put down its Ace without having a better one.

SR71-Blackbird-1.jpg

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett

I watch a lot of PBS and they had a show on why it was retired.
The film took too damn long to process.
It could take up to 24 hours for a mission to be developed.
With live satellites, there is no need to risk pilots & waste money anymore.

I think i've seen that one too. The plane would sit on the runway and leak fuel as it awaited commands from the oval office before going on a mission IIRC.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info