šŸ“° Auto News Autoweek: Porsche 911 S/T Is For The Hard Core

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

• 2024 Porsche 911 S/T is not for the faint-hearted. It is, so far, the most instantaneously responsive Porsche perhaps ever made, with steering that communicates better than couples therapy.
  • But you pay a big price in comfort for all that driving feel.
  • You also pay $290,000 just to start.

Communication takes many different forms. Sometimes it is soft and subtle, something you have to listen for and pay attention to. Other times itā€™s being shouted at you and you get it pretty quickly. The 2024 Porsche 911 S/T manages to do both at the same time.

The 911 S/T is supposed to be the ultimate street Porsche. If the GT3 RS is the most extreme 911 for the track, then the S/T is the most extreme 911 for the street.

And they ainā€™t kiddinā€™ about that extreme part. After a day spent wedgied into the slender carbon-fiber bucket of a 911 S/T, winding and wending my way through the best roads Northern California has to offerā€”in both pouring rain and bright, dry sunshineā€”I can say this: Do not ask your spouse or significant other if he/she ā€œwants to go for a rideā€ in your new 911 S/T. You will soon find yourself single once again.

The 911 S/T is brutal performance with an abuse chaser. It is loud, way firm, and violently uncompromising.

And a lot of people like that.

The 911 S/T uses essentially the same chassis as the GT3, most importantly that carā€™s double-wishbone front suspension. Unlike its sister 911, this one does without rear-steer. It also has that 4.0-liter naturally aspirated flat-six from the GT3 RS tuned to the same 518 hp and mated to a six-speed manual with ratios shortened across the box by a shorter rear end.

Package that in a 911 with seemingly no sound deadening whatsoever, sprinkle carbon-fiber reinforced plastic parts throughout, and you have the lightest 992 ever made, at just 3056 pounds.

ā€œThe 911 S/T focuses on on-road dynamics,ā€ explained the Porsche spokesman before handing over the keys. ā€œItā€™s focused for use on winding roads over mixed pavement; itā€™s focused on twisting and dynamic pavement. But not on a track. Itā€™s a pure street experience.ā€

With loins thusly girded, I set off. Into pouring rain. The entire Pacific atmospheric whatever was dumping its load on the road in front of me, which in turn was being made intermittently invisible when passing cars, trucks, SUVs, or really scary 18-wheelers were fire-extinguishing spray into my path. At times like those you just trust in the engineers at Porsche and power through.

The first thing you notice when you twist the faux key knob on the left side of the dash is the noise. If youā€™re like the Grinch and donā€™t like the ā€œnoise, noise, noise, noise,ā€ then this isnā€™t the 911 for you. The Carrera is very nice and relatively quiet.

Then pop it into gear and youā€™ll note that the shifter is very direct, notchy, even. The manual trans has 8%-shorter ratios than in other applications, which means you spend more time shifting than in other 911s but, again, some people like that.

Let the clutch out and youā€™ll immediately notice the 23% lighter clutch compared to the GT3 and the even lighter single-mass flywheel. The only lighter flywheel Iā€™ve ever felt in a Porsche was in the Carrera GT. As a result, the engine revs very quickly, hitting its 518-hp peak at 8500 rpm on its way to a redline of 9000 revs. Torque peaks at 342 lb-ft at 6300 rpm.

At first, say if youā€™re taking a test-lap around your dealerā€™s block, you may say the S/T is way too bumpy, and way too loud. You may complain that the carbon-fiber bucket seat is bolt upright and cannot recline, that you feel you are being smashed against the steering wheel like the cheese in a grilled cheese sandwich.

You may think the interior is loud and claustrophobic, like sitting in a clothes dryer missing a bearing that has been rolled down a hill. No way would your spouse or partner stick around after a co-drive in this thing, you may think.

But when you get on a dry, empty, twisting two-lane with no side streets or driveways, and when all the large mammals have long since left the roads and are tucked into hibernation, you understand what they were trying to do with this. Itā€™s the highest-performance 911 you can get for the street. You can get another one for the track, but this is for the street.

The steering is the best of any Porsche maybe ever. The chassis is firm, insistently controlling bumps without ever hitting a bump stop. Chassis flex seems non-existent. And with all that noise you donā€™t really even need that sound deadening, since you can tell every rigid rocker armā€™s latest rock just by sound.

Is it worth the pain? Only you can decide. But this one definitely sifts out the poseurs.

And the underfunded. Prices startā€”START!ā€”at $290,000 before you add those pages and pages of Porsche options. Thereā€™s also a one-year lease deal for buyers set up to prevent speculators from flipping the 1963 Porsche 911 S/Ts that will be made. (1963 was the year the 911 was unveiled at the Frankfurt Auto Show, 60 years ago.)

You can also get a matching titanium-bodied, limited-production wristwatch that is only available to S/T owners, for another $13,500. That may seem like a lot for a watch, a device that provides the same information as your latest iPhone 15, but the rear winding rotor on the watch mimics the wheel design of the car.

Whatever you choose, the 911 S/T will help you sort your priorities.

1703599559793.png

1703599578745.png

1703599603663.png

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I watched this video last night. It has some good info about where they saved weight, how it drives, how insanely responsive the engine is to the throttle due to being rev-happy, the 9 actuator blades in the intake/throttle bodies, and more.

The second most interesting thing in the video was they cut 22 pounds out of the flywheel and clutch. That is a lot of weight wow

What I found most interesting is they explain why many cars, including Porsche, have very long gearing for their manual transmissions. Or why automatics can be lazy at lower speeds because they hold the gear instead of dropping a gear.. It's because of California! screwing everyone over and over. They have a drive-by noise test. It is a 100 meter test with 6 microphones that sample noise when the car travels by. The car has to be in 3rd gear (manuel) and enter at 50 kph. Then it has to accelerate through that box. And it has sound limits to be legal. Obviously, WOT with loud exhaust and a quickly accelerating car cause a lot of noise. So they slow the acceleration to quiet the car.

They explain that even the Tesla P100D failed. A car with no exhaust noise. The tire and wind noise were enough to fail it. They go into more info on it. But that explains why gearing in some cars is not what you would hope for. The talk of that starts at 15:45.

But they love the car and powertrain.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Damn I wish I was rich!

Pressure Ratio Pressure Ratio when you stepping up? Spend some of that single man money.
I wish I had the money and hook-up to be able to own one of these.

Maybe everyone in this thread can help. We all pitch in to buy one. We each get one day with it. Then sell it for a profit. At least we all can say we owned one. haha

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I'm pretty sure to get one of these you need to have owned several GT cars. I believe the 911R was that way. Maybe Jimy Bilmo Jimy Bilmo can ask his buddy that has one?
Iā€™m pretty sure those guys got first dibs. But then anyone willing to pay the ridiculous ADM - iirc it was around $250k, then you too, can own one šŸ˜‚

Thread Info