Anything MMA Thread

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Soo... Louzan lost? I didn't watch shitty card. Actually all ufc is garbage

You are such a purist. Why is the UFC garbage?

JDS-BOETSCH.jpg

sloth_goonies-431x300.jpg

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
Totally forgot there was a DREAM event tonight :bigthumb:
Technically it already took place (in Japan) but they are airing some tonight and some tomorrow. Trying to avoid spoilers.
Melvin Manhoef vs. Denis Kang should be a good one. And I know Baroni is fighting, could be interesting even though he'll likely gas by the end of the 1st. Plus, Jerome LeBanner has a kickboxing fight that he will likely dominate.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Totally forgot there was a DREAM event tonight :bigthumb:
Technically it already took place (in Japan) but they are airing some tonight and some tomorrow. Trying to avoid spoilers.
Melvin Manhoef vs. Denis Kang should be a good one. And I know Baroni is fighting, could be interesting even though he'll likely gas by the end of the 1st. Plus, Jerome LeBanner has a kickboxing fight that he will likely dominate.

On what channel?

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Actually all ufc is garbage

You guys ready for dream?

I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt as you like MMA and I think even train MMA, but your opinion doesn't mean shit. I watched the Dream card and I thought the card was pretty good. Let's be perfectly clear, the fighters in Dream do not even compare to the talent level in the UFC. Many of the fighters from Dream are Asian and it is clear that those fighters are for the most part never great fighters (Speaking in terms of top level MMA). It probably has a lot to do with the lack of focus in wrestling and grappling.

I just do not see how you can say the UFC is garbage.....

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt as you like MMA and I think even train MMA, but your opinion doesn't mean shit. I watched the Dream card and I thought the card was pretty good. Let's be perfectly clear, the fighters in Dream do not even compare to the talent level in the UFC. Many of the fighters from Dream are Asian and it is clear that those fighters are for the most part never great fighters (Speaking in terms of top level MMA). It probably has a lot to do with the lack of focus in wrestling and grappling.

I just do not see how you can say the UFC is garbage.....

I disagree about that little bit. Did you ever watch PRIDE? Because thats essentially what DREAM is (started by execs from PRIDE and K1). Of course you can say that UFC has the majority of the top talent right now. They have been around longer and they have always paid fighters more than the other big organizations, so naturally that is where most of the big dogs are at. DREAM has only been around for a few years and I know they have had some financial trouble.
However, a good deal of the fighters you will see in DREAM are at the same level of the guys you see in UFC. Fedor fought in DREAM. So has Alistair Overeem and Ryo Chonan(submitted Anderson Silva). Members of the Gracie family, Jeff Monson, Sokoudjou, Manhoef, Kang, Sakuraba, Aoki, etc. These are all well-known, respected fighters who have had or are capable of having success in the UFC. I'm not saying these guys could come into the UFC and make a run for the belt, but they definitely wouldnt be outclassed in terms of talent.

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
:rofl: nice edit. I met Mark Coleman several years ago at some event (maybe Strikeforce? cant remember which org.). Him and Baroni gassed out so quickly in their last several fights . Those dudes were/are crazy strong though.
Have you ever seen "The Smashing Machine" ?

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I disagree about that little bit. Did you ever watch PRIDE? Because thats essentially what DREAM is (started by execs from PRIDE and K1). Of course you can say that UFC has the majority of the top talent right now. They have been around longer and they have always paid fighters more than the other big organizations, so naturally that is where most of the big dogs are at. DREAM has only been around for a few years and I know they have had some financial trouble.
However, a good deal of the fighters you will see in DREAM are at the same level of the guys you see in UFC. Fedor fought in DREAM. So has Alistair Overeem and Ryo Chonan(submitted Anderson Silva). Members of the Gracie family, Jeff Monson, Sokoudjou, Manhoef, Kang, Sakuraba, Aoki, etc. These are all well-known, respected fighters who have had or are capable of having success in the UFC. I'm not saying these guys could come into the UFC and make a run for the belt, but they definitely wouldnt be outclassed in terms of talent.

And why is it that the majority of the fighters that have come from Pride have had very limited success in the UFC org?

Chonan subbing Silva was a flash in the pan, I watched the guy fight in the UFC and was very unimpressed. Watch Silva fight Chonan now and see who wins. :rofl: All of the fighters you mentioned are well respected, but put them in the UFC and they barely make top 10 at best in their respective divisions. I loved Fedor and wished he came over to the UFC in his prime, but it never happened. Nothing beats Randleman suplexing Fedor onto his head and then Fedor coming back with a win! Overeem will need to get off the juice in the UFC, once that happens I am not sure if he will be as dominant.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
:rofl: nice edit. I met Mark Coleman several years ago at some event (maybe Strikeforce? cant remember which org.). Him and Baroni gassed out so quickly in their last several fights . Those dudes were/are crazy strong though.
Have you ever seen "The Smashing Machine" ?

I have not, is it online?

Also Manhoef is a monster at 185! I really enjoyed watching him.

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
And why is it that the majority of the fighters that have come from Pride have had very limited success in the UFC org?

There are a decent amount of guys who have came over and had success (Rampage, Anderson Silva, Shogun, Big Nog , etc). But for a good deal of them: they were either older and past their prime (Wanderlei, Crocop arguably) or they couldnt deal with the drug resting at the time :rofl:

I still believe that a good deal of the fighters (both in and out of the UFC) use some kind of steroids or growth hormones now, theres just different ways of beating the system.

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
I have not, is it online?

Also Manhoef is a monster at 185! I really enjoyed watching him.

You might be able to find it for download or something. But I also have the DVD you could borrow. Great documentary about Mark Kerr when he was coming up in the MMA world. Mostly about fighting but also deals with his personal troubles at home and with steroids/pain killers. Bas Rutten and Mark Coleman are in a good deal of it as well.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
There are a decent amount of guys who have came over and had success (Rampage, Anderson Silva, Shogun, Big Nog , etc). But for a good deal of them: they were either older and past their prime (Wanderlei, Crocop arguably) or they couldnt deal with the drug resting at the time :rofl:

I still believe that a good deal of the fighters (both in and out of the UFC) use some kind of steroids or growth hormones now, theres just different ways of beating the system.

Agreedd.

You might be able to find it for download or something. But I also have the DVD you could borrow. Great documentary about Mark Kerr when he was coming up in the MMA world. Mostly about fighting but also deals with his personal troubles at home and with steroids/pain killers. Bas Rutten and Mark Coleman are in a good deal of it as well.

I will look for it one way or another. Eric I had no idea you were into MMA as much as I am. We need to talk more.

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
Agreedd.

I will look for it one way or another. Eric I had no idea you were into MMA as much as I am. We need to talk more.

:h5: I've been a fan for a long time. Been lurking on sherdog since early 05. I distanced myself from it all a bit after the whole unfortunate Affliction/Tapout craze but have still enjoyed the sport quietly lol.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I have been a fan since the late 90's / early 2000's. I lurked a long time on Sherdog, but the trolls on that site made our TCG trolls look like preschool, so I never joined. I used to frequent MMA news, but even got out of there.

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
I'll be quiet i guess. the fact that i.... Never mind. I'll stand by my statement. Most promotions are garbage. If you've been in the in crowd you'd know the secrets like I.

But i enjoy watching technical fighters as well as brawlers like Tyson. I prefer to stay away from ufc and help promote the underdogs that are coming with new style. But hey, UFC is like Disney land now mass promotions and advertisements. Catching on yet?

Thread Info