Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
No one wants a HDD.

I have about 75TB worth of them. :io:

But have to agree. A 500GB SSD though far cheaper than they used to be is still an item most won't sell because it can be useful in any future builds. They are basically worth more to keep than they are to take the loss and sell used.

I can't see even selling my 256GB SSD's.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
If anyone has 3TB+ spinny relics that are just too plebeian to be caught with, please PM me an address and I will pick them up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYVD7ME/?tag=tcg21-20

I've got like 5 of these in my NAS. Two I bought about 2 months ago to expand the other 3 have almost 3.5 years of spin time on them and no SMART errors.

Don't know you'll find that much cheaper and they at least have a 90 day warranty.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I've got 4 WD Red 3TB's sitting on my desk now. They have like 41,000 hours on them. SMART logs are clean.

Have no idea what I would do with them. Was entertaining the ides of a 6TB Raid 10 array so I didn't have to deal with parity if a drive dropped out.

I would give them away. I'd just need to do a ATA Secure erase on them.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I've got 4 WD Red 3TB's sitting on my desk now. They have like 41,000 hours on them. SMART logs are clean.

Have no idea what I would do with them. Was entertaining the ides of a 6TB Raid 10 array so I didn't have to deal with parity if a drive dropped out.

PSH!!! Lemme know. Ill put them back to work. :rofl:

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)

DBAN em. My advice is disconnect your other drives when you do it though.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
DBAN em. My advice is disconnect your other drives when you do it though.

the ATA Secure Erase command in Enhanced mode is faster as there is no IO on the bus. The disk controller does it much faster.

I use PartedMagic to issue the command usually. But FreeNAS has its own built-in way to issue it.

ATA is the only way to really issue an erase command on a solid state drive. NVMe has its own version of the protocol.

The only drawback is the disk must be directly attached to the SATA/NVMe bus. Won't work with USB drives.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info