Anyone remember this? Woman vs train in Downers Grove 1991. GRAPHIC VID, kinda

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I bet she didn't even really have time to feel much. That much weight at 60mph, I'm surprised that I didn't see body parts flying...though given the resolution of a 1991 camera, it might not have been captured.

I'll never understand how people don't check if EACH track they cross is without train. She might have just been assuming a train on that track would have only been coming from the right.

cobraj

TCG Elite Member
Feb 7, 2005
I bet she didn't even really have time to feel much. That much weight at 60mph, I'm surprised that I didn't see body parts flying...though given the resolution of a 1991 camera, it might not have been captured.

I'll never understand how people don't check if EACH track they cross is without train. She might have just been assuming a train on that track would have only been coming from the right.
She had to be out instantly. The only thing I can think is the other train was running (noise) and she just didnt see the express coming. Says she was speaking to her lawyer next to her about her divorce case. So focused on that she just kept walking. Ex husband got off easy.

• Wow
Reactions: rocco

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
One of the unique things done by Metra on the BNSF line (it is not a practice done on any other Metra line) is that ability to "Jump" with the express trains out west, primarily to Naperville/Aurora. Hence the "BNSF racetrack" on the beginning sections after they turn west out of Union Station. Meaning on every other line, each train follows in sequence down the line based on the schedule. I remember there being discussion about doing away with that after this incident. The train stopped on main 1 with it's engines up to maintain head end power even when stopped, masked out the oncoming E9 even though it was blowing it's horn.

Reactions: cobraj

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
A informal video of this popped up on my feed 4 days ago.

It stated she was literally minutes away from signing her final divorce papers and that she was instantly killed. There is no other way around it, that force instantly killed her she felt absolutely nothing.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yes, Fairview crossing.

For the Russian lathe fans on here, if you slow playback down to .25 speed and pause it a the moment of impact, you can see how it twists/shoves/contorts her hips out from under her legs, then let it continue playing, I think you see parts start flying, like eyeballs that a few people think got knocked out. The railfan filming it was there to film one of the final runs of the E9 locomotives before retirement, had his leg broken from the impact of her body flung through him, hitting an electrical box behind him.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Further things I'm remembering from this. The engineer/conductor in the cab, didn't even know they had hit someone it happened so fast as they went around the stopped train and wasn't a direct hit (as you can see it was a hit off the corner of the locomotive), it wasn't until police got ahold of Metra dispatch and they radio'd the train to stop. They (police), then asked the train to back up to the incident to recreate it for the investigation.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I remember us hitting a person on my morning commute in one day in Lombard. A person you don't feel. To the train it's like hitting a water balloon. What we DID feel was the engineer slamming on the brakes.

IIRC correctly, the hit took place around Elizabeth St., and at ~60mph we didn't stop until we were up by the St. Charles road crossing. So yea, not much this engineer above would've even been able to do in that split second had he seen it.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
It pays to have situational awareness... How someone can just walk on busy tracks like that and not look both ways. Sad, but no ones fault but hers.

I feel like she was just following that dude and he dipped out at the last second, which she obviously didn’t even notice. Fucking wild.

In other words, a lemming

Nov 17, 2023
That E9(AM), the locomotive that hit that lady, would be retired by BN/Metra that next year. It would be sold off to MARC to work in commuter service in the DelMarVa region. Then it would make its way back to Chicagoland, under Ed Ellis' Iowa Pacific/San Luis and Rio Grande/Chicago Terminal Railway aka IOU Pacific Holdings regime. They went bankrupt a few years ago and this locomotive is still sitting stripped and abandoned in one of the industrial parks near O'Hare, either in Bensenville or Elk Grove VIllage.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
That E9(AM), the locomotive that hit that lady, would be retired by BN/Metra that next year. It would be sold off to MARC to work in commuter service in the DelMarVa region. Then it would make its way back to Chicagoland, under Ed Ellis' Iowa Pacific/San Luis and Rio Grande/Chicago Terminal Railway aka IOU Pacific Holdings regime. They went bankrupt a few years ago and this locomotive is still sitting stripped and abandoned in one of the industrial parks near O'Hare, either in Bensenville or Elk Grove VIllage.
Solid first post, train man. I don't ever recall seeing one of the old EMD designs in person. I have a windshield and bell and serial plate for one in my basement. I'd love to see the whole package in real life, and now I want to explore that industrial park!

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
There was a blind guy and seeing eye dog that rode my train (rock island Metra) every day, and he was telling a story about how his wife was blind too, got a new seeing eye dog, and the dog had her standing too close to the edge of the platform. The train came in and hit both her and the dog and killed her.

CMNTMXR57

TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Solid first post, train man. I don't ever recall seeing one of the old EMD designs in person. I have a windshield and bell and serial plate for one in my basement. I'd love to see the whole package in real life, and now I want to explore that industrial park!
The CPKC yard most likely just on the south side of Irving Park Rd.

Reactions: v6buicks
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info