Anyone into archery? Looking at a compound bow

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
If you plan on just target shooting the loc tite them. But they are meant to unscrew easy to change over to a broad head.

I don't know why, but when I was 10, my dad got me the Kodiak Bow. Rule was when I could string it, I could use it.

A 10 year old just can't string that Recurve lol. But when I finally did get big/strong enough to string it, the next Christmas not only did I get a whole bunch of arrows, but also....

...Broad Heads....

Who the Hell gives Broad Heads to a kid just learning how to shoot a bow too big for him? My dad. Might as well have given me a box full of razor blades.

Needless today, I did slice my fingers a few times on those heads. Sharp as fuck.

I never really wanted to hunt with the bow, just target practice.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
I don't know why, but when I was 10, my dad got me the Kodiak Bow. Rule was when I could string it, I could use it.

A 10 year old just can't string that Recurve lol. But when I finally did get big/strong enough to string it, the next Christmas not only did I get a whole bunch of arrows, but also....

...Broad Heads....

Who the Hell gives Broad Heads to a kid just learning how to shoot a bow too big for him? My dad. Might as well have given me a box full of razor blades.

Needless today, I did slice my fingers a few times on those heads. Sharp as fuck.

I never really wanted to hunt with the bow, just target practice.

You should see the broadheads I use!

http://buyflyingarrow.com/toxic-100-grain-crossbow-model-black/

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
bought a deer lol
Probably 20 yards away, first shot.
So lost about 6 arrows in the forest, and found 3 of them. bought a range finder.
probably going to buy another deer or bear.
Bought 12 arrows yesterday and ordered some lighted nocks just in case some disappear again
Looking at a drop away rest
damn you guys. this is going to get expensive but it's fun.

Attachments

• IMG_1859.jpg
    IMG_1859.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 30

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
went to chain-o-lakes archery in spring grove.
They have a practice area and a field area. The field area is like golf where it has 14 stations. The practice area has big hay stacks setup at 10,20,30,40 yards and a 1 story deck that you can stand on to shoot from.
It's in the middle of the woods so bring LOTS of bug spray.
Some people are nice and leave targets and metal pins to stick your targets into the hay stacks. Nice and quiet.
Port a potty in case you gotta shit......yuck
2 picnic tables and a big stand to hang your bow on. I just brought my little radio and shot for a little while tuning my sight. Very peaceful.

Also ordered a 4 finger release and bought the kid a PSE mini burner so hopefully he can start to come with me.

If anyone else is going let me know I'd love to drop by and shoot. It's only 20 min from me
Open/close I think 8am-8pm or something like that.
Free. No check in or anything just go. Crossbows ARE allowed

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I checked them out last night. I'm just not sure if any of those under $500 will be a step back or a step forward

What do you guys look for when buying a new bow? Do you look at the style, the looks? Do you care what type of cam it has?

Someone on a FB group told me the diamond is a step back from my current mission

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Why

why rent when you have one?
Because I like my eyes and fingers not whipped and bleeding.

Its a Kodiak 48" recurve, 45# draw.

Unfortunately its developed a twist and will de-string itself on a full draw causing the string to lash at you. Can't be fixed, it now sits above my Dad's mantle as decoration.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Oh snap
We should plan an outing
The first time it did it I got lucky.

The 2nd time I was more wary, but it STILL destrung itself.

The max draw length is 29" according to the specs on the bow. But I can only draw it to about 20-25" and still keep it strung after release. I gave up pretty fast.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Went to Chicago Archery last night and shot a diamond edge ($400+tax) and a Mathews vertex ($999) and wow what a difference.
I really like them both. Obviously don't want to spend $999 and not sure I need anything that fancy for just targets but also feel I could out grow the diamond. Didn't like the grip on the diamond but otherwise decent bow.
Mathews was heavy like 4.6pounds and I can see that getting annoying

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
I'm really wanting to shoot more and try to at least one or two nights a week for 15minutes when I get home, but now it's getting darker out sooner so won't be able to.
I may sign up for lessons at Chicago archery in Elmhurst then get a range pass. Might be something to do.

Also to note:
My mission bow at 43lbs is just as hard to pul as the diamond at 60lbs. I thought that was pretty interesting.
The Mathews was originally setup at 70 and I couldn't pull it all the way back. 4 turns down and I was able to and holy shit is that thing FAST

Reactions: wombat
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info