Anyone here have rental property?

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
Doesn't the occupancy clause usually only require you to live in the home for 1-2 years?

usually, but it can vary from lender to lender.. which is why I told him to check his docs. For some reason my clause did not have a end term, only that I occupy the home within 30 days of closing and then notify the lender should my occupancy status change.

I never notified them, other than to change my billing address.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Yeah hard to say what to do there as usually they would notice if you change your type of home insurance. Was just curious as I have only seen 1-2 year stipulations when I looked. Some people got around that in various ways by renting out rooms to people but it doesn't make me feel great.

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
1. I'd advise against hiring a property manager unless you're moving far away... There's no need to have a property manager for just one property. Don't let anyone pick out a tenant for you either...You'll be so much better off it you have to keep it vacant for an extra month just to find that perfect tenant. Leasing agents and property managers don't give a fuck who they lease the property to...It's not their money or their property, they get paid the same regardless.

2. Plan on spending money in between tenants to paint, replace carpet, etc. Wear and tear isn't covered by the tenant's security deposit.

3. Do your own repairs if and when you can. We usually write in to the lease that the tenant is responsible for maintaining the grass, landscaping, snow removal, etc. They're also responsible for the appliances. That way, we only go in there to fix more major stuff like HVAC, plumbing, etc.

Due to the mortgage, don't expect to make much of a profit. The profit you do make will usually go back in to the property for repairs, upkeep, etc. The mortgage will eat up most of the income. Basically, you're just letting someone else pay off your mortgage for you...Once it is paid off though, you have a bunch of free equity in a house that pays you a nice amount of money each month.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Renting seems like it would be a pain in the ass, I thought about it the house across the street is foreclosed and dirt cheap but it would take 5ish years to brake even would be a good long term investment

For me... I would double my money. The money I spend currently on tax/payment plus insurance... I could rent out my house for 2x that

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
That's a good deal, I have thought about buying another house but I hate the thought of making double payments if someone dosnt rent it or if they are dead beats it takes 6-8 months to be able to evict someone and you have to take them to court to make it happen, my wife's old boss has 6-7 rentals and he hates them because of that

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
That's a good deal, I have thought about buying another house but I hate the thought of making double payments if someone dosnt rent it or if they are dead beats it takes 6-8 months to be able to evict someone and you have to take them to court to make it happen, my wife's old boss has 6-7 rentals and he hates them because of that

It's a gamble for sure... I wouldn't over extend myself though.

I know of plenty of people who do it very well and are very well off because of it.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
usually, but it can vary from lender to lender.. which is why I told him to check his docs. For some reason my clause did not have a end term, only that I occupy the home within 30 days of closing and then notify the lender should my occupancy status change.

I never notified them, other than to change my billing address.

x2

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
So meeting with mortgage guy- I'm a hell of a ways out- but at least I have an idea now of what is necessary...

he said 3 months renting my house out is good enough for his loans... also said I am good to rent out my house whenever I want.

Said that I would need 6 months of reserves to pay both the mortgage and taxes for my home as well as the one I am looking at buying though... that in itself is a good chunk of change.

All in all, it was a crap shoot and a half, but I am glad I know what I have to do now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info