Anyone here do a Holley EFI package on any cars ever?

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I just noticed in the video when I give it gas you can see the Grass get blown down. That made me giggle.

So, things to note.

I noticed that the speedo jumped when I gave it revs. Its a PPM signal, so not sure why it jumped, has to be getting some interference from somewhere. Maybe I need to inspect the wire the squirrels chewed more. I'm not too worried about the speedo though, I can live without it if needed till I can get more time to look at it.

I had a computer hooked up so I could watch everything while its as running. Within seconds of starting the car I had a Fan 1 Fault, even when it was still cold. At 195°F when the fan should have turned on, it didn't, but I did see the Fan 1 request status bit change from 0 to 1. So I know the PCM commanded the fan to run.

I disconnected the relay, and fed direct 12v power from the battery to the fan on the relay plug to test the fan and it turned on. Inspected the wires, and found no breaks anywhere. Plugged the fan relay back in and the fan started up. Did a few more tests and sure enough the fan comes on when the PCM commands. So I'm just shrugging my shoulders in fact that the fan is 33 years old, and was sitting for nearly 10 months. I last drove the car in November of last year, and today was the first day I started it since. So, yeah, may be time to replace the fan before it quits for real and leaves me to overheat in traffic.

The right bank is LEAN. Like super lean. None of the injectors on that side were damaged, only #7 on the left bank. So, I don't think its fuel. I had lean issues last year, and replaced the O2 thinking the O2 was bad. Its probably that the tube for #8 which is a slip joint is leaking. I figure I'll just replace both exhaust gaskets, its a 30m job at best, and only a few bucks for gaskets. When I do I'll pull the #8 tube out, clean it up, and seal it with red RTV. See what happens to the lean condition then. If that doesn't change it, I'll swap the injectors bank to bank, and see if the lean condition switches to the left bank. If it stays with the right bank, then maybe my headers developed a hole somewhere.

Other than that, car seems to respond well enough to throttle stabs.

Still gonna upgrade to the Holley, but this means at least I can drive the car around till next year, when doing the Holley conversion is more financially feasible.

Gonna do an oil change on a cooler, more comfortable day, ordering the gaskets tonight.

Reactions: Yaj Yak

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
ED:Fack, indeed wrong thread.

Contributing something meaningful to this discussion at hand from what I've read and been told you should NOT actually be doing soldering in cars for wires. The solder wicks up the wire and causes it to work fracture over time. Not sure how true that is but I heard it on the Internet.

The crimp connectors with built in glue/shrink are fucking awesome. I think Denmah has even used those babies in gas tanks before from what I remember. I bet your wire will go to shit before they do.
It certainly made fixing the wires MUCH easier. Strip some insulation, twist some wire, properly twist the two wires together and slide the sleeve over the exposed wires and center it. Then just hit it with a heat gun and bam. Instant weather resistant sealed electrically connection. I went and redid some of the other wires that were just old crimp connectors. Whether it helped or not, I don't know, but sure made me feel better.

I also bought more 5/8th and 3/4" loom to replace some sections that the squirrels got into so I can seal those wires away from pesky future critters.

Though if any squirrels DO eat this harness again I'm likely just to loosen the fuel line and let the car burn to the ground.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Don't think its the relay that caused the initial fault. I'd imagine the diagnostic circuit that sets a fault probably works based on resistance between the signal and ground wires on the PCM. So I need to look over the harness and see if either of those wires was chewed anywhere.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Harness repaired, and now tested, been driving the car for a few days instead of the Focus. I replaced the passenger side exhaust gasket, and while it was not great, it was not horrible either. I also RTV'd the shit out of the #8 primary slip tube and let that cure for 24 hours.

Started the car up and noted that the Long term BLM on passenger side was still dumping on average 20% to 30% more fuel, but the short terms were about equal. Reset the BLM's and now am just monitoring to see if it learns the same thing again.

If it does, then I have to assume that one of the injectors one or more of the injectors on the passenger bank is shit. So I'll have to decide send them out for cleaning, or buy a new set. I'll ohm them out later today so I know if that's a problem. Beyond that, I'd have to rent an injector noid light kit so I can test that the PCM is truly firing the injector.

O2's are cycling as normal, so that looks good.

Annoyed.

But now that the car is running, I'll keep this FI system and go for the Holley next year. Saving for a house so don't wanna spend $3800 on a EFI system for a car I don't need to drive daily. It can hold until next year.

Long Term BLM Left vs Right
Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 9.28.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 9.29.10 AM.png

Short Term
Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 9.29.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-09-04 at 9.29.15 AM.png

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Got the hopefully last of the wires spliced in. Just have to change the oil (not nessesary, but its been a while, so it needs a change), put the battery back into the car and key on to check for issues, then start the car time.

Ended up using a bunch of these. Honestly like them as far as ease of use if you don't have a garage where you can properly solder connections.

Never used these before, but remember seeing them before. But after having to do a bunch on the GTA to fix the damage, I really like these. If I can't get them on a solder bench to really get the solder into the joint these rock.

1quick 1quick turned me onto these quite some time ago

Reactions: 1quick
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info